List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

We need stop trading in prospective types like Ah Chee, SPS & Langdon. Jury is still out on Brockman I suppose. Even guys we tried to get like Dev Robertson.
Only bring in players that will definitely improve our team, instead of magically hoping to "unlock their potential".
“Unlocking potential” is what we are hoping to do with literally every draft pick we take, none are definite. Some take a bit longer to develop so are worth a punt if they come cheap from another club later.

The problem with established players that will “definitely improve our team” is that they will cost us and we don’t have much to give.

The guys you mention were flops but you only have to look as far as D’Ambrosio last year to the Hawks for a packet of chips and then makes the AA squad, as an example of where you can strike an absolute bargain.

If they are young enough then it can be worth a shot but if they are older and still haven’t shown much then agree we should avoid in our current position.

“Unlocking potential” is what we are hoping to do with literally every draft pick we take, none are definite. Some take a bit longer to develop so are worth a punt if they come cheap from another club later.

The problem with established players that will “definitely improve our team” is that they will cost us and we don’t have much to give.

The guys you mention were flops but you only have to look as far as D’Ambrosio last year to the Hawks for a packet of chips and then makes the AA squad, as an example of where you can strike an absolute bargain.

If they are young enough then it can be worth a shot but if they are older and still haven’t shown much then agree we should avoid in our current position.

D’ambrosio was picked up the hawks though to specifically fill a need and a role. Play on the wing…

We recruit guys because they are west Aussie and try and get them home with no idea where we are going To play them or what need we want them to play.. they have no clarity of role so get thrown all over the joint hoping they work instead of going we want bill smith to play wing and he is locked into that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hamish Davis sounds like he’s doing really well? Probably need 23 to get him

He is the leading possession winner in the first half of the league Elimination Final and has a goal to his name.

His stocks must have risen since he has been playing well in the seniors post Championships.

Cant see him being gettable with the draft hand that we will have, as I cant see us holding pick 23.

D’ambrosio was picked up the hawks though to specifically fill a need and a role. Play on the wing…

We recruit guys because they are west Aussie and try and get them home with no idea where we are going To play them or what need we want them to play.. they have no clarity of role so get thrown all over the joint hoping they work instead of going we want bill smith to play wing and he is locked into that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Redden?
Witherden?
Flynn?
Graham?

He is the leading possession winner in the first half of the league Elimination Final and has a goal to his name.

His stocks must have risen since he has been playing well in the seniors post Championships.

Cant see him being gettable with the draft hand that we will have, as I cant see us holding pick 23.
We have to be proactive in protecting that pick imo...Maybe only futures for Baker.

Dunno how we're going to do it but we need to load up on picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep Dyson Sharp. Is the man. Tigers also hold pick 1 next year. Ideally we get Reid and Sharp together

Wow 17 possesion 10 tackles and going. Leading possesion getter in his team. As an underage in finals Sanfl seniors. Playing at HFF as well lol

Last edited:

Another goal and a really solid game in a fairly high quality finals game

We have to be proactive in protecting that pick imo...Maybe only futures for Baker.

Dunno how we're going to do it but we need to load up on picks.

Ideally we trade players out for 2024 picks and trade players in using 2025 picks

We should also attempt to get one or more picks for any player going out and only one pick for any player coming in.

Avoid giving up more players/picks than what comes back in any single trade

Take a bow Dyson Sharp.

21 possesion 10 tackles 1 goal.

As an underager in SANFL as a HFF in a final. Third highest possesion getter

I don't think we have seen a better more risk free prospect since Matt Rowell? He has to be >190cm now

Take a bow Dyson Sharp.

21 possesion 10 tackles 1 goal.

As an underager in SANFL as a HFF in a final. Third highest possesion getter

I don't think we have seen a better more risk free prospect since Matt Rowell? He has to be >190cm now

Seriously ??????????????

download.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back