List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving up 13 for Baker doesn't make sense in isolation. Assuming the Barrass trade is 13 + 30 and Baker is 13 for Baker + 21, combined with a suggestion from stallon to get Warner, 18 + F1 from the Swans for 3 + F1, that could leave us with:

Warner
Baker
18, 21, 23, 30, 59
Swans F1, WCE F2, F3, F4
You dont seriously believe the swans trade a contracted Warner along with 18 and their F1 for 3 and our F1 do you? Jesus some of these suggestions are delusional

Agreed we need that type of player. just think with our current list we need a gun mid while we have a top 3 pick. Once we start moving up the ladder a bit a HBF /Wing at 6 or 7 seems about right. At the moment we have noone who gets a lot of possessions. Plus we need someone to help Harley in the middle. Yeo is getting old and is 1 injury away. Ginbey looks more suited to half back and Kelly is probably suited more outside/hff. Our midfield is so shallow that adding a HBF at 3 seems a bit off.

Except he is as close to a guaranteed gun half back as minimum AND potentially be a top line mid. Similar to Will Day. He starts down back and after three seasons moves I to the midfield.

Wonder what they classed Hird at in his draft year?

Would be great but if we get Graham it’s zero compo. Another well thought out recruitment.

Fair chance we delist him anyway, I’d have thought.

Sounds like it was two from hawks, with our 2nd going back. Then hawks first for baker and a 2nd.

So trade barrass and our pick 20 for

future hawks first , pick 21 and baker.

Keeps a future first for attack on Warner, especially if freo trade some of their picks into 2025.

Unfortunately for freo, they are in a bit of a bind. They would rather go for Warner but Bolton available now. Which is more of what they need now.

If I was a betting man, trust freo to cut themselves at their knees. Back out of Bolton and then lose Warner because Harley is going to be significantly better next year and players will want to play with him.
God I hope so, would be hilarious

Surely we aren’t getting or expecting compo for Rotham…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No idea what the proposed contract is but with multiple clubs reportedly interested and if Rotham is prepared to move interstate I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider that it’s at least a couple of years in length and band 5 (pick 42) could be in play.

Except he is as close to a guaranteed gun half back as minimum AND potentially be a top line mid. Similar to Will Day. He starts down back and after three seasons moves I to the midfield.

Wonder what they classed Hird at in his draft year?
If he's top draftee/mid coming in through we will not he slow burning him mid given our mid deficit.

He will likely follow the Ginbey route and chucked in mid day one. Hence the issue.

We may be the worse team to develop versatile players.

I'm not opposed as long as we keep pick 13 for Xavier Lindsay.

That Gettable episode was a huge punch in the guts. Maybe besides the Warner sweepstakes.

Sound like we are not at the top of the queue for Peatling. To me sounded like us and Saints were just thrown in there.

I want Baker but pick 13 is putrid. The extras on that trade would be interesting. Still not sure why he has to be the one who wants to see how the trade will be done before nominating. Great fit for us but not for over paying.

Still nibbling around Shai Bolton. I want McQualter for some reason and I love Shai but is absolutely not the right fit for us right now.

Going by that info we would be hoping Bolton and Baker both go to Freo this year. Means we would have to be in front for The Chad next off season.

Trade Bell with Sam Edmund was a bit more of a positive. Links us with Riley Garcia and said both have a 2 year deal in front of him but we could put bid them if needed.

Last edited:
You should have a much better chance of getting a quality player at #13 than #25. I know it doesn’t always work like this. Chad Warner was #39. What a stroke of brilliance that was.

Of course, the competence of the recruiting team is a factor in all this. Sadly, I don’t have a lot of confidence in ours.
But you are also getting a quality player on top of that? (some don’t see it that way)

No idea what the proposed contract is but with multiple clubs reportedly interested and if Rotham is prepared to move interstate I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider that it’s at least a couple of years in length and band 5 (pick 42) could be in play.
So in the world we get 42 for Rotham. Can we still sign a DFA list (Parfitt) and it won’t water it down? It’s only signing RFA and UFA that would do that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You dont seriously believe the swans trade a contracted Warner along with 18 and their F1 for 3 and our F1 do you? Jesus some of these suggestions are delusional
I don't think so personally but two pick 3's for Warner would certainly be overs so it is not unreasonable to think that something would come back with Warner.

They aren't going to trade a contracted superstar for anything but overs, let alone 2 big upgrades, albeit big ones.
This year, sure. He is in for a big pay day soon, which will put pressure on the Swans to fit him in or move him on.

It would be heavily relying on his age to get any compo, as I doubt he would earn more than the amount required to move him out of the bottom 30% of wages.

He probably gets 2 years, maybe at $250-300k. That isn’t getting us compo (good for him though, as I think we are more likely than not to delist him).

Swans cannot get a better offer than our 3 and F1 as a starting point. Certainly a very likely top 3 pick. So what are then their options if not acceptable?

Warner is an excellent player, no doubt, but he isn’t a franchise player yet. Swans also get $1.5m in salary relief which allows them to chase other players along with two top 3 picks.

Thats a lot for one player. We would need something back. Warner isn’t worth 2xfinn Callaghan’s yet. Daicos is.

Climbing up to top 3 in draft is not like trying to get to pick 6. It’s an exponential thing in terms of trade assets.

What are peoples thoughts on Finn Maginness? Would he consider a move for better role and guaranteed games.
Could he be an option in the Barrass trade, so a 1st and FM for Barrrass, instead of the proposed 1st, and F1 for F2 being thrown around.
Perfect age profile, is a more than capable mid with great endurance, who we know can also tag/shutdown, all 3 things we either are very short on or dont really have. Stats dont scream elite but tags most the time so not his primary obj buts looks like he could if given the freedom.
We still get a 1st rounder this year, and keep our F2, lose Barrass but fill a hole with a young but mature player.

versatile athletic player with height and pace. HOT property

This would all be very true on paper and if we didn’t have eyeballs. I’m bang up for snaring a late pick for him though. I’d imagine we’d have to put on a serious game face and hold back the laughter if we roll out ‘required player’ when the time comes though

It would be heavily relying on his age to get any compo, as I doubt he would earn more than the amount required to move him out of the bottom 30% of wages.

He probably gets 2 years, maybe at $250-300k. That isn’t getting us compo (good for him though, as I think we are more likely than not to delist him).

Yes his age is part of the reason we could get pick 42 for him. If he has multiple suitors as reported I think the salary will be more than you’ve suggested, particularly with the cap increase. As I said I have no idea what the offer might be but it would be unusual for a player his age not to generate some form of free agency compensation*.

*unless of course, the AFL don’t want it to.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back