List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
The purpose of trading Barrass is to get draft picks in to fast track the rebuild. If the lion’s share of the Barrass compo is spent getting Baker in, who’s only one year younger and playing in a less critical part of the ground, it will be an epic fail by Clarke.
The purpose of trading Barrass is he wants to go.

That Gettable episode was a huge punch in the guts. Maybe besides the Warner sweepstakes.

Sound like we are not at the top of the queue for Peatling. To me sounded like us and Saints were just thrown in there.

I want Baker but pick 13 is putrid. The extras on that trade would be interesting. Still not sure why he has to be the one who wants to see how the trade will be done before nominating. Great fit for us but not for over paying.

Still nibbling around Shai Bolton. I want McQualter for some reason and I love Shai but is absolutely not the right fit for us right now.

Going by that info we would be hoping Bolton and Baker both go to Freo this year. Means we would have to be in front for The Chad next off season.

Trade Bell with Sam Edmund was a bit more of a positive. Links us with Riley Garcia and said both have a 2 year deal in front of him but we could put bid them if needed.
I’ll be very happy if we can land Garcia.

Swans cannot get a better offer than our 3 and F1 as a starting point. Certainly a very likely top 3 pick. So what are then their options if not acceptable?

Warner is an excellent player, no doubt, but he isn’t a franchise player yet. Swans also get $1.5m in salary relief which allows them to chase other players along with two top 3 picks.

Thats a lot for one player. We would need something back. Warner isn’t worth 2xfinn Callaghan’s yet. Daicos is.

Climbing up to top 3 in draft is not like trying to get to pick 6. It’s an exponential thing in terms of trade assets.
The other option is hold him to his contract?
We might get something back trading for him next year but not this year.

How much would the doggies want for Garcia?
Couldn’t get much? OOC and only getting offered 2 years. The 42 we get for Rotham? 😉

Port linked to him on Gettable but Edmund didn’t mention them.

Similar to Dev last year, probably worse Imo, it would be a bad business decision to stay. Yes getting rid of Macrae but chasing Peatling and Sanders likely to get games next year and plus they will have pick 15*.

At the age where he just has to start playing AFL week in and out. Will get that at the Eagles without question and if he is good enough that will be enough to make it a career

Last edited:
Swans cannot get a better offer than our 3 and F1 as a starting point. Certainly a very likely top 3 pick. So what are then their options if not acceptable?

Warner is an excellent player, no doubt, but he isn’t a franchise player yet. Swans also get $1.5m in salary relief which allows them to chase other players along with two top 3 picks.

Thats a lot for one player. We would need something back. Warner isn’t worth 2xfinn Callaghan’s yet. Daicos is.

Climbing up to top 3 in draft is not like trying to get to pick 6. It’s an exponential thing in terms of trade assets.
If you add Warner to second-year Reid, Yeo and Kelly still with a little life in them, do we still finish 16? Particularly if we make another canny trade or two. Our forward line is very good, our backs at the very least hold up, our problems have always been in the middle. We still lack a competitive ruck but it could be a deal that works in our favour.

Jfc just listened to gettable. **** I'm concerned we are going to wreck our entire draft hand and short term future. I think the best option now is to forget about player movements and just bring in the kids

Get 13 + hawks F1 for barass + our f3
Get a 4th rounder for darling

Take 3, 13, 23, 58, 59 to the draft and get kids. Forget about Warner, baker,carrol,robertson, peatling etc

Unless Warner states he wants to leave this year I don't see any point in discussing him, Swans have him for another 12 months on good wages for them, they'll get a monster offer for him next year if he continues to perform and he'll get a massive deal still.

Load up on the draft this year, look at the experienced players next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless Warner states he wants to leave this year I don't see any point in discussing him, Swans have him for another 12 months on good wages for them, they'll get a monster offer for him next year if he continues to perform and he'll get a massive deal still.

Load up on the draft this year, look at the experienced players next year.

It’s only because will schofield suggested that it could happen this year if swans win premiership.

And he isn’t going to declare he is coming back unless he knows a deal can be made and what that looks like.

I’d rather load up on draft this year, otherwise always playing catch-up. We need to hit 3 150 game players this year.

The smartest move here is to play Fremantle as much as possible to weaken their draft hand and go hard for Warner next year. Let them take Bolton, Baker with their 2024 picks and we'll have the superior hand with an uncontracted Warner in 2025.

He's uncontracted at the end of the day so why we're offering anything more than 23 or preferably F2 is beyond me. This draft is stacked and we need to be prioritising the future, not helping Richmond rebuild.
We are short on picks alone and we want to cut a little deeper to fast-track our own rebuild. Pick 13 for Baker and 21 retains our draft pick numbers in total and adds a ready-made best 22 player.

• Ashcroft gets a bid early - top 5 territory
• Lombard bid probably top 10
• Kako top 15
• Marshall possibly top 20

Don’t think there’s any other FS or academy players going that early. The Camporeale twins and Welsh sound like they’ll be later in the draft

• Battle possibly Band 1 compo but will be at least Band 2
• Parryman also likely Band 2

Don’t think there’s any other FA that would command Band 1 or 2 compo

The point of all that is pick 13 slides to 15-17 depending on the Battle compo and Kako bid. Pick 21 likely becomes pick 27 and pick 23 goes to 29 (30 if we pay Graham enough to generate Band 3 compo)

I have my concerns around the proposed Baker trade - I’m not sure he provides enough to give up a top 15 pick for. The trade as proposed effectively ends up as Baker and 27 for pick 15 (16 if Battle gets Band 1)

Bear in mind 4 of the picks pushing back are for players we can’t get so in terms of live picks it’s 13 (or 14) for 23

What also should be factored in is that Richmond’s current pick 21 is the first pick on night two. Last year the offers we got for that pick which was 30 at the time were underwhelming so we took Archer Reid. This year, with better depth in the draft we might get better offers so that pick could be perhaps split further into 2 R2 picks instead of one. Maybe

The trade isn’t outright terrible but honestly, I’d rather keep 13 at this stage and hope that Baker picks Freo

The purpose of trading Barrass is he wants to go.
I’ll spell it out for you.

Why does he want to go?

Because we declined to increase his salary to something closer to market value (which he has been haggling for 2 years).

Why did we decline to increase his salary?

Because we determined that he’s a player that has draft currency and hence enable us to speed up the rebuild.

• Kako top 15

Don’t think there’s any other FS or academy players going that early. The Camporeale twins and Welsh sound like they’ll be later in the draft

The point of all that is pick 13 slides to 15-17 depending on the Battle compo and Kako bid. Pick 21 likely becomes pick 27 and pick 23 goes to 29 (30 if we pay Graham enough to generate Band 3 compo)

I have my concerns around the proposed Baker trade - I’m not sure he provides enough to give up a top 15 pick for. The trade as proposed effectively ends up as Baker and 27 for pick 15 (16 if Battle gets Band 1)

Bear in mind 4 of the picks pushing back are for players we can’t get so in terms of live picks it’s 13 (or 14) for 23

What also should be factored in is that Richmond’s current pick 21 is the first pick on night two. Last year the offers we got for that pick which was 30 at the time were underwhelming so we took Archer Reid. This year, with better depth in the draft we might get better offers so that pick could be perhaps split further into 2 R2 picks instead of one. Maybe

The trade isn’t outright terrible but honestly, I’d rather keep 13 at this stage and hope that Baker picks Freo
Ashcroft is touted as better than his brother - I have no personal idea. But, his brother has a lot of Cuz in his name and he is an absolute Rolls Royce. Could be an interesting draft.

• Kako top 15

Same regarding Pick 13. The trade for Baker maybe easier depending on what the other pick Hawthorn gives for Barrass

• Kako top 15

In no other industry would an employee nominate a company they want to go to and the expectation is that company will find a place for them, whether it suits their plans or not. Ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back