List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
What is Mcqualters 1st job, to say no to Richmonds leftover players. Might be short term improvement but they wont be playing when we are in the finals window.

This neglects my concerns about Chesser but also my optimism regarding Long, Jilliams and hutchintingson at bargain value with that said I think the above course of action places an incredibly large burden to find and develop strong players with your 2nd and 3rd round picks which we haven’t been great at.
You mean Hutchinting-a-ling-a-dingson?

Dreaming of emulating Collingwood and Geelong the perennial top 4/finals contenders who both won a premiership in the last 3 years without an outstanding midfield?

Sure, but it wasn’t just Daicos and a couple of wafl grade plodders. Or Danger and some other plodders.

That is our issue, it is HR and nothing else currently. Potential (Hewett, Hutch, Hall, Chesser, etc) sure, but assuming we can get a premiership calibre midfield out of that (plus Dev, Graham) is crazy talk.

Yes, we need outside run and class too - but we need mids more (plus young outside players are much more likely to settle at AFL level early than inside or balanced mids).

I’d love a link up mid more than a pure inside Bull - and at 3 it sounds like sweet spot for that type.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sure, but it wasn’t just Daicos and a couple of wafl grade plodders. Or Danger and some other plodders.

That is our issue, it is HR and nothing else currently. Potential (Hewett, Hutch, Hall, Chesser, etc) sure, but assuming we can get a premiership calibre midfield out of that (plus Dev, Graham) is crazy talk.

Yes, we need outside run and class too - but we need mids more (plus young outside players are much more likely to settle at AFL level early than inside or balanced mids).

I’d love a link up mid more than a pure inside Bull - and at 3 it sounds like sweet spot for that type.
I dunno why people here think im suggesting a midfield of Reid, Graham, Baker and DevRob is going to win us a premiership??? Ive never implied that at all in any post

Every time ive mentioned those blokes ive said I see them as a short term fix to tide us over until we can fix more important roles.
Take a mid in 2025 and 2026 with our first picks, find some better role players when we are a stronger team and can attract non-WA players like we did with Redden. We have Hewett, hutch, Hall and maybe Chesser as young mids that could be good players too.

Adding Graham, Baker and Dev means our midfield is competent and can hold its own for the near future. We still have a ****ing awful outside game with no players that excel at it. We are relying on Duggan to distribute from the backline at the moment. Transition is the facet of the game we could not work out all year.
Outside ball use is easily our biggest priority, that could be a mid, but it has to be an outside player.

Going after Warner next year we are probably not going to get a chance at Fred Rodriguez, Greeves, or Dyson Sharp.

What’s everyone’s opinion on this ?

Honestly yes it would be better to take 3 top 30 picks

Pick 13 will get us a 200 game player
I mean Darcy Wilson was drafted at 18 this year and is a sensational player
that's the type of talent we will miss out on.
Yeah I'd have to agree, to compare this year's draft with last year's draft, imagine adding a player like CalebWinsor(fos) with 3 and DarcyWilson(Travaglia/Lindsay) at 13 to our squad. More run and carry, polish across the wings and backflank. Sure add baker with 23 and bring in either Graham or dev as a defensive mid cheaply but do not touch 3 or 13 unless it's heavily weighted in our favour

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did tweek it a tad. Added a other pick. Driooed the other picks back 10 spots.

And it isnt awful. It is how we may need to generate picks and get trades done.
sorry, but it is awful. very awful imo.
you have some good ideas, this aint one.

giving up pick 3 and a F1 for pick 6 and baker and some 3rd round picks is burn MRP down territory.

I did tweek it a tad. Added a other pick. Dropped the other pick back 10 spots to 29 and 39.

And it isnt awful. It is how we may need to generate picks and get trades done.

Plenty of picks to get a beneficial outcome.
With our shocking history of 2R and 3R picks I’d rather stay in the 1R and take a stab with some 4Rs and rookie draft when other clubs don’t have any list spots left

sorry, but it is awful. very awful imo.
you have some good ideas, this aint one.

giving up pick 3 and a F1 for pick 6 and baker and some 3rd round picks is burn MRP down territory.

Will admit the first effort was light on for us. :$ :$

But realistically what is the Hawks future 1st goung to end up?

If 29 and 39 are not enough then Tigers 21 or 22 gets involved instead of 29 and 39.

Plenty of picks to swap around to even the ledger is the point.

We need four top 40 picks this draft. How would you get them?

Interesting power rankings just out.

Pick 6 becomes 7. Smillie, FOS and Draper still available. Langford and Allen jumped up ahead of them.

Last edited:
Will admit the first effort was light. :$ :$

But reakistically what is the Hawks future 1st goung to end up?

If 29 and 39 are not enough then Tigers 21 or 22 gets involved instead of 29 and 39.

Plenty of picks to swap around to even the ledger is the point.

We need four top 40 picks this draft. How would you get them?
it would be nice to get more picks in the top 40, but im not giving up 1st round assets for dart throws and despite the talk of depth, like always, this draft will still be a dart board, especially in rounds 2, 3 and so on, like every other draft.

every year people get enamoured with names in a draft. and every year the majority of these players are busts or role players. Now this may be a strong draft and there may be more good players then usual, but i guarantee the bust rate will still be high. multiple 1st rounds pick, should we get them, should not be squandered so easy.

what if we trade jack darling

for jack darling

From that f**kwit Ralph but interesting read nonetheless

WA MOVE ON THE CARDS FOR SUPERSTAR SWAN

Sydney Swans superstar Chad Warner could be on his way back to Western Australia as the rumour mill goes into overdrive following his side’s embarrassing loss to the Lions on grand final day.

Warner remains contracted until the end of 2025 but both West Australian clubs believe Warner will request a trade back to his home state by the end of next year, according to the Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph.

“WA-based clubs are of the belief it is his intention to return home at the end of next year. He’s stubborn enough to believe he can get through a whole season of a contract impasse. They believe it’s not an ambit claim, it’s not a contract negotiation,” Ralph told Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“He and his partner, who’s also from Perth, just want to go home. They even believe that if Sydney had won this game, he might have put in a trade request. A really small chance, but it’s absolutely zero now,” Ralph continued.

“This is a 12-month saga. It’s not going to be easy for this club to negotiate through. It’s another distraction this football club doesn’t need coming off this loss.”

Collingwood champion Nathan Buckley wondered whether the Swans would get aggressive at the trade table as they seek answers after a second embarrassing grand final defeat in three years.

“I wonder how aggressive and proactive Sydney need to be given the performance in two of the last three years of some of these players,” Buckley said.

Warner had just 21 disposals and a goal in the ten-goal loss to the Lions in the grand final but was one of the Swans’ best performers in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back