List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sydney may want him to move on if his intentions are to go end of next. I think there is a real chance this happens this trade period. How invested is he in Sydney?

They seem happy enough to stay another year, Sydney have him on wages that are benefiting them, I don't see them forcing the issue. It's possible this year but very slim.

Seeing how St Kilda and Richmond have dealt with departing players at their B&F it reinforces just how well we handled our own B&F with Darling and Barrass - including how well TB spoke

Worlds apart from the Saints especially but also Richmond- those speeches by Bolton and Baker were awkward to say the least

This also goes along with the fact that Barrass is no guarantee to be traded, he hasn't been forced out and will stay if the Eagles do not get what they deem to be fair value.

He is a tim Kelly for mine, very over hyped, cream on top player.

I think he is better than Kelly but agree in the sense that we're better to get him once we bring in some more kids, that's why I am yet again stressing to the club to hit this draft hard and worry about Warner next year.

Swans would be smart to nip this in the bud and trade now in contract.

They need to be bold and rectify their midfield deficencies. They dont want 12 minths od distraction. And what sort of year will Warner have next season coming out of contract and being aware that the next contract will be long and on big money when he is playing for well unders. He wont be playing flat out as he wont want to get injured.

And I wouldnt be upset if kelly was involved to reduce the picks we give uo.

They'd be smart to keep him for another year and have another shot at a flag with an A grade talent who is being paid well unders.
His value isn't going to diminish, Swans will still get a very good deal and Warner will still be paid handsomely.

Probably bullshit but happy to indulge. Pick 10 for Kelly and full $1m salary? Travaglia back on the menu if the Saints don’t get band 1 and judging by their BnF tantrum, maybe they won’t.

3-FOS
10-Travaglia
13-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
59-Champion
64-Dennis
Rookie-Artemis

F2, Culley and 22 (Band 3 Graham) for Baker
Swap F4s for Dev
64 and F3 (NM) for Darling and F4
Petruccelle for Garcia

2025 based on 2024 ladder
3 and F1 for 17 and Warner Bros
13-Rodriguez
17-Curtin
38-Banfield FS
39-Walley NGA
Cat B-Evans NGA

Last edited:

Probably bullshit but happy to indulge. Pick 10 for Kelly and full $1m salary? Travaglia back on the menu if the Saints don’t get band 1 and judging by their BnF tantrum, maybe they won’t.

Suspect we’d get a second rounder at best unfortunately. If let Freo take a large chunk of the salary it would put us in the box seat for Chad next year.

Suspect we’d get a second rounder at best unfortunately. If let Freo take a large chunk of the salary it would put us in the box seat for Chad next year.
Probably right but if they are paying Bolton’s $1.2m/year and Brayshaw’s contract being negotiated, an extra $1m cap space may help them immensely.

Could also go Kelly and 23 for 10 and Knobel.

Last edited:

3-FOS
10-Travaglia
13-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
59-Champion
64-Dennis
Rookie-Artemis

Swap F4s for Dev
Petruccelle for Garcia

13-Rodriguez
17-Curtin
38-Banfield FS
39-Walley NGA
Cat B-Evans NGA

Doesn't make sense for either side really. Freo are after Bolton and Pickett. We still need capable midfielders and even if we can fill that part of the field, Kelly will still be a very handy forward.

3-FOS
10-Travaglia
13-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
59-Champion
64-Dennis
Rookie-Artemis

Swap F4s for Dev
Petruccelle for Garcia

13-Rodriguez
17-Curtin
38-Banfield FS
39-Walley NGA
Cat B-Evans NGA

There was a mention on trade radio this morning that we may be looking to get rid of Kelly to go after Bolton. Richmond would want our pick 3 and I would be furious if the club is even considering that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Davies from Port said this on Dan Houston this morning on trade radio: "he wont be leaving for anything less than he's worth" .

Port are what we should be aspiring to be in this space - hard and uncompromising.

We said this in the press release regarding Barass: "We will endeavour to meet Tom's request while protecting the best interests of the West Coast Eagles." That was weak and I've not heard anything much since. Why arnt we saying the same things as Port on Houston?

Port would also be threatening to take Baker in the PSD and calling the Tigers bluff on picking him up again. We should at least be threatening this, like Port did when they bent us over the barrel for Rioli. (We also could have re-drafted Rioli then too but were never going to take a player who wants to leave, like the Tigers would never do with Baker).

I wish we would just harden the **** up.

Last edited:
Can see Freo getting both Warner and Bolton. I wonder if there’s any chance they push fatty Darcy out the door given Reidy’s form?

Reckon Bolton would potentially come over on slightly reduced coin just to escape Richmond and play some finals

Shirley TK wouldn't move back east, if not Freo, where to? He came back here for family and support reasons re kids. Interesting scenario, a year left, no deal on table. Hadn't thought of him being dropped. Guess we wait and see how he fits in with new coach and direction. Might get reinvented?
His kids were also very young then, all 3 were under 4 I believe, and 2 with special needs. All would be in school now and his career is almost done so perhaps might be more open to a short-term move to extend and for $$.
If we're in the market for Warner we're going to need to cash some chips in whichever way we can.
Kelly probably won't net a great deal given he's 31 next year but it all helps
Would be more than happy to move TK on this year for a 2R or maybe a bit more with salary paid. Him and Flyin’ are the next best candidates after TB that might hold some currency in a trade and not leave us with a leadership void. Both are past their best and give questionable effort at times but could be valuable to a contender.

I like the idea of trading with Freo because any additional deals they do will reduce their draft hand and ability to beat us for Warner.

Kozzie is still being mentioned too, I wonder what McQualter’s vibe is with him from his time at the Dees?

Chris Davies from Port said this on Dan Houston this morning on trade radio: "he wont be leaving for anything less than he's worth" .

Port are what we should be aspiring to be in this space - hard and uncompromising.

We said this in the press release regarding Barass: "We will endeavour to meet Tom's request while protecting the best interests of the West Coast Eagles." That was weak and I've not heard anything much since. Why arnt we saying the same things as Port on Houston?

Port would also be threatening to take Baker in the PSD and calling the Tigers bluff on picking him up again. We should at least be threatening this, like Port did when they bent us over the barrel for Rioli.

Provided this is the message we’re giving to other clubs privately I have no issue not saying it publicly. I thought The Don handled it really well yesterday. Sounded firm but not like it was a public plea for the media to act as messengers.

Provided this is the message we’re giving to other clubs privately I have no issue not saying it publicly. I thought The Don handled it really well yesterday. Sounded firm but not like it was a public plea for the media to act as messengers.

Maybe we are being hard behind the scenes. I hope so. I just have no faith at all in this club off the field, especially in the trade space. Maybe Pyke and Clarke deserve a chance but they havent really got me overly excited by their performance thus far in the rumours regarding Barass and Baker. They are just rumours so feel free to prove me wrong guys.

Can see Freo getting both Warner and Bolton. I wonder if there’s any chance they push fatty Darcy out the door given Reidy’s form?

Reckon Bolton would potentially come over on slightly reduced coin just to escape Richmond and play some finals

No one is taking Darcy's contract on.

Eagles lead the race for Warner, keep in mind Simmos comments about players who want to come and play with Reid.

There was a mention on trade radio this morning that we may be looking to get rid of Kelly to go after Bolton. Richmond would want our pick 3 and I would be furious if the club is even considering that!
Pick 3 should be reserved for Warner or an actual midfielder

3-FOS
10-Travaglia
13-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
59-Champion
64-Dennis
Rookie-Artemis

Swap F4s for Dev
Petruccelle for Garcia

13-Rodriguez
17-Curtin
38-Banfield FS
39-Walley NGA
Cat B-Evans NGA

Would be happy for Kelly to finish at Freo.

Win win trade. Freo get a gun for now. We get kids for the future.

We need to bury the hatchet with Freo while we are at opposite ends of the premiership clock.

Port would also be threatening to take Baker in the PSD and calling the Tigers bluff on picking him up again. We should at least be threatening this, like Port did when they bent us over the barrel for Rioli. (We also could have re-drafted Rioli then too but were never going to take a player who wants to leave, like the Tigers would never do with Baker).

The primary difference between Port and us is Houston is a vital piece for a club in a premiership window and Barrass won't be playing in our next premiership so his greatest value to us now is in draft picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back