List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit light on for details but Will Schofield coaches Aquanis (I think) and his team played Curtin's recently. From what I recall of the chat, Will sent his key back to Curtin who was playing forward, and he shut him down pretty comprehensively. Wish I could remember the name of the defender, as Schoey is big on him.
Well that may be so, but Curtin also kicked back to back bags of 6 goals after moving forward right at the tail end of the Colts season. Everyone can have a bad game, but its worth keeping an eye on how he goes next year of course to see if there are signs of him being too one dimensional or something.

Anyone else hearing Isiah Winder has been asked to do testing by a few AFL clubs.

Watch the Cats turn him into a Tim Kelly clone.........

Pretty sure he's been invited to official combine testing.

I know this will get me a thumbs down but baby Curts is one of the main reasons I want to trade 3 into next years draft and have an extra first. Unless we can get Warner this trade period we are so much better off having 2 top 10 picks next year than taking a pick at 3 this year.
I like the idea but surely we are better off splitting 3 for a 1st this year and a f1 for next year than just moving the pick into the future.
I dont think we can afford to push things back like that

Maybe a split of 3 into a 1st this year and a f1, like 3 for Freos 10+f1+something, or maybe the Saints are keen on 3+23 for 7+f1
Add that f1 to our normal f1 and the hawks f1 im sure we could work things

Anyone else hearing Isiah Winder has been asked to do testing by a few AFL clubs.

Reckon the Bombers are onto him. Saw Matt Rosa heading to a South Freo game earlier in the year, looking through the names playing Winder was the only one that looked of interest.

I know this will get me a thumbs down but baby Curts is one of the main reasons I want to trade 3 into next years draft and have an extra first. Unless we can get Warner this trade period we are so much better off having 2 top 10 picks next year than taking a pick at 3 this year.
Don't rate anyone this year?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Easy does it. Winder can hit a target by foot.

Well that may be so, but Curtin also kicked back to back bags of 6 goals after moving forward right at the tail end of the Colts season. Everyone can have a bad game, but its worth keeping an eye on how he goes next year of course to see if there are signs of him being too one dimensional or something.

It's less of a knock on Curtin and more of a need to track down who that defender is.

He has his moments but he lacks consistency and he doesn't have any real effective defensive pressure..he's worth listing as a rookie , but imo he will flop at afl level.
Are you joking

Draft year against men. Dewer only started kicked multiple goals after 2 seasons

Kid has potential

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he went to Freo I wouldn’t accept anything less than pick 16. Probably start the negotiations at pick 10 with something going back and settle on that pick 16. Otherwise he’s worth more to us than that. If he gets over his niggles from this year and returns to 2023 form he’s still a good player.

End of the day we have a new coach so things can change quickly in the AFL and that’s more likely to happen the better your list is. You don’t just give away good players unless your salary cap is a mess.

Don’t overthink it like I said in my previous post it’s simply his manager trying to get the ball rolling over the summer break.
If we were ever to be trading with Freo I would be going after pick 9 and balancing the trade rather than just getting the best value with what they have. 9 for Kelly + F3 values Kelly at pick 14.

Going to be a lot of angry Eagles fans if Kelly moves to Freo

But.. if we effectively end up with Warner for Kelly, then that's a massive win for WC

Not drafting Kelly in 2017 is going to impact West Coasts trade and draft decisions for all time.

Now that the Tigers pres has had a thinly veiled swipe at the departing players ..loyalty... forget about bakers need to please his former club... he wants WC, he is uncontracted....WC just need to hold their nerve ... they will get him without losing any first round picks.
I suspect that was aimed more at Bolton but Baker is certainly in mind when making such statements. I'd be happy with this outcome.

Are you joking

Draft year against men. Dewer only started kicked multiple goals after 2 seasons

Kid has potential

Champion might be small but he's a pure footballer who makes things happen. Maybe he can't make the step up, but he's got a lot of skill.

If we could draft Cody Curtin with the Hawks F1 (along with Rodrigues with our F1) then fill our boots with Banfield and Walley with points, it would be an impressive haul. I write this with a lot of water to go under the bridge but dreaming of a better future is all we have at the moment
How do we get warner then?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone knows Zac Bailey was the real miss in 2017.

I just can't see him even doing well at WAFL level... way too small , no real defensive + to his game. Let him through and rookie list him instead of bidding on him.
He just kicks goals though. I can see him very easily growing into our own Bobby Hill. He has football smarts, good kicking.

Size of his muscles is only 1 aspect of football altogether out of the 10 involved

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back