List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a gut feeling there's going to be melts about deals that never existed
Then melts that they never existed
Then melts about the next hypothetical deal
Then you guessed it..more melts.
I hope you guys never visit a polar ice cap

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really don't understand why we need to tie ourselves up in knots trying to secure another pick to land an uncontracted player, when pick 26 (round 2) is fair in what is supposedly a deep draft.

Baker isn't a world beater, and we shouldn't be paying a premium just because he wants to come home.

I have a gut feeling there's going to be melts about deals that never existed
Then melts that they never existed
Then melts about the next hypothetical deal
Then you guessed it..more melts.
I hope you guys never visit a polar ice cap

I feel like we have the right to melt when Clarke openly states he thinks a 27 yr old undersized half forward is worth a pick in the early teens when we have a perfectly acceptable 2nd rounder and f2. Even if we have to add a F3

Doesn’t matter trades haven’t been done, we know he’s targeting something that’s worth similar to pick 14 that he can trade to Richmond for Baker

I’ll keep melting away on the assumption we’ll eventually do a stupid trade, giving awake something worth a low to mid teens pick that we should be taking to the draft

Last edited:

Once again confirming that I think 14 is overs for Baker.

But also once again keen to point out how highly rated these mid teens picks are during draft week, then when a ball is bounced half the board bemoan the lack of skills, pace, mongrel of the mid teens picks we currently have, and tell us that it’s top end or bust. Trade him out, pay this bloke off, that guy isn’t even in the league anymore, his ceiling is WAFL.

Then draft period rolls around, and the mid teens are the sweet spot of the draft that will unlock everything for us again.

Repeat until the sun swallows the earth.

But also once again keen to point out how highly rated these mid teens picks are during draft week, then when a ball is bounced half the board bemoan the lack of skills, pace, mongrel of the mid teens picks we currently have, and tell us that it’s top end or bust. Trade him out, pay this bloke off, that guy isn’t even in the league anymore, his ceiling is WAFL.

Then draft period rolls around, and the mid teens are the sweet spot of the draft that will unlock everything for us again.

Dude, nobody would visit this site if we didn't engage in such shenanigans.

Don't we only have two of these....and one hasn't been on the field for a year

Half this board has written off Ginbey and Hewett, what would they know? At this point they're all superstars until we actually see them play

Generally I’d agree with you, and some may say this gets said every year, but it doesn’t. This draft is quite unique and there’s plenty of players we can pick in the teens and even 20s with mature body’s, slope for growth and who can impact from day 1

I feel like we have the right to melt when Clarke openly states he thinks a 27 yr old undersized half forward is worth a pick in the early teens when we have a perfectly acceptable 2nd rounder and f2. Even if we have to add a F3

Doesn’t matter trades haven’t been done, we know he’s targeting something that’s worth similar to pick 14 that he can trade to Richmond for Baker

I’ll keep melting away on the assumption we’ll eventually do a stupid trade, giving awake something worth a low to mid teens pick that we should be taking to the draft
Enjoy your melts then mate.its a nice day outside

Catching up on the melts.

They had no clue who our coach was even when he came from their backyard.

They reported the Hawks deal a few different ways and have come back the next day to say actually that wasn’t even offered.

Every talk around discussions and valuations has come back later with an addendum that the Eagles wanted way more.

Just relax campaigners. Nobody would be satisfied with 3 for 12 and 14, especially not with one of them leaving for Baker. The HUN running it and projecting that we get local prospect Bo Allan is almost meme worthy at this point. If it happens, melt away.

But for now, breathe. Long way to go, a lot of dead air and commercials for tyres to cover off before anything beyond Cal Papertalk goes through.
From the opposite view there's plenty from our side who would prefer to keep 12 and 14 in a really strong draft and get 2 very good (hopefully) players. Always interesting the different views.

Will be an interesting couple of days.

Half this board has written off Ginbey and Hewett, what would they know? At this point they're all superstars until we actually see them play
Half of this board don’t know if there ass points upwards or downwards. Just sit back and enjoy the melts 👍🏻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please let this happen. Then trade 3 to Richmond for all 3 picks and get the 2 F1s off Hawthorn for TB. Leaves us with 6 first rounders 10-15 over the next 2 drafts.

Would love to keep 3 for one of the top mids but if the long term plan is Warner next year then load up with quantity this year imo.

Don't we only have two of these....and one hasn't been on the field for a year
Chuck in Sheed and Duggan at 11 who people want to see the back of. Chesser at 14. Brander lol. Hewett can’t get on the park although very excited by the prospect if he can.

It’s just such a familiar refrain that I can’t help but point it out. Like the trade/draft period exists in its own universe of value and worth and then the footy starts and the collective amnesia hits.

Reckon we’ll get those two firsts, it’s just a game to see who blinks first now.

Hopefully we get them early enough that we buy GC pick 6 with our either our F1 or those two F1

Would double lol at Richmond if they lost pick 6 for Rioli and get 13 instead
You’ll be pleased to know that earlier today I negotiated the HAW and CARL F1s for pick 6 and 41 with the GCS board should we get them for Barrass. Reasonable bunch over there and sick of Richmond shenanigans too, wouldn’t surprise me if they went balls out and traded 6 away. For 6 and 13 they could end up with 3 F1s (CARL, HAW, MELB) and pick 28 as well as their own F1. Unbelievable.

Cal Twomey of all people saying this means it must be highly likely. Scary stuff!
This is what Twomey said.

How the Eagles could turn their No.3 pick into multiple selections – AFL.com.au revealed on Friday Carlton's interest in moving up the draft board – could open the door for extra draft capital to on-trade for Baker.

And in an earlier tweet:

The Blues will be open to moving further up the board with 12 and 14. They had a crack at West Coast's pick No.3 using 12, future first and future second before finding a taker with the Hawks' No.14.

Does any of that sound like intel from our side or a suggestion that it’s #imminent ?

Using media rumours as a guide could this be a possibility:

WCE trade pick 3 to Blues for 12, 14, Owies - 12 and 14 linked via multiple sources and Owies has met with us according to fox sports.

WCE trade 14 to Syd for 19, 22, F3 - has been mentioned by foxsports that Sydney has tried to get GC pick 13 and Blues pick 14.

WCE trade 19 to Rich for Baker – Ralph stated the value for Baker is between 15 and 20, Clarke mentioned similar.

WCE trade Barrass, F3 to Hawks for Hawks F1 and Blues F1 – We supposedly rejected a 14 and F2, and the value of present first round draft picks is worth more than future first round draft picks. Hence the two future firsts. Hawks got additional F2 from there trade with the Blues so they will feel their overall net return is profitable.

From media rumors WCE receive: 12, 22, Hawks F1, Blues F1, Baker, and Owies

Then not rumoured but could be a win:

WCE trade F1 to GC for pick 6 and 23
GC then can trade our F1 to the Tigers for Rioli and later picks for points GC need.

WCE end up with 6, 12, 22, 23, 26, 63, 68, Hawks F1, Blues F1, Baker, Owies, Graham
WCE lose 3, F1, F3, Barrass

Gives us 5 picks in that top range Clarke mentioned, points for Champion, and we get publicized trade targets.

Suns will give six for Rioli, it’s surely not on the table to anyone but Richmond. If we do a 3 for 6 slide down then that might be, albeit reports are that Richmond don’t want to be a part of that, but 6 for Rioli is surely as good as done (however ludicrous that is)

I really don't understand why we need to tie ourselves up in knots trying to secure another pick to land an uncontracted player, when pick 26 (round 2) is fair in what is supposedly a deep draft.

Baker isn't a world beater, and we shouldn't be paying a premium just because he wants to come home.
Totally agree. But that's what we have done historically.

Want to come home? We'll overpay.
Want to leave WC for Melbourne/Adelaide etc? We'll do what it takes to help you out and thanks for your time.

Baker is a very good player, perfect for our midfield and a great foil for Reid but the only reason you would give up big draft currency for him is if we genuinely think we have a contending squad in the next three years (which we don't).

Otherwise the goal is pretty straight forward. Every year we are bottom four we have to give ourselves the best chance of finding future top ten players in the entire AFL. It's hard enough to do that without squandering first rounders on a 27 year old.

Same goes for pick three. I reckon Ginbey and Hewett have long careers ahead and I won't speculate on what they could be, however Sheezel is a lock down multiple AA star and Harley Reid likewise. All of our top 5 draft picks in our history have been guns. Far too valuable to split.

Last edited:
Using media rumours as a guide could this be a possibility:

WCE trade pick 3 to Blues for 12, 14, Owies - 12 and 14 linked via multiple sources and Owies has met with us according to fox sports.

WCE trade 14 to Syd for 19, 22, F3 - has been mentioned by foxsports that Sydney has tried to get GC pick 13 and Blues pick 14.

WCE trade 19 to Rich for Baker – Ralph stated the value for Baker is between 15 and 20, Clarke mentioned similar.

WCE trade Barrass, F3 to Hawks for Hawks F1 and Blues F1 – We supposedly rejected a 14 and F2, and the value of present first round draft picks is worth more than future first round draft picks. Hence the two future firsts. Hawks got additional F2 from there trade with the Blues so they will feel their overall net return is profitable.

From media rumors WCE receive: 12, 22, Hawks F1, Blues F1, Baker, and Owies

Then not rumoured but could be a win:

WCE trade F1 to GC for pick 6 and 23
GC then can trade our F1 to the Tigers for Rioli and later picks for points GC need.

WCE end up with 6, 12, 22, 23, 26, 63, 68, Hawks F1, Blues F1, Baker, Owies, Graham
WCE lose 3, F1, F3, Barrass

Gives us 5 picks in that top range Clarke mentioned, points for Champion, and we get publicized trade targets.
If we could swap Owies for Moir, or even Carroll+Young(or f3)? id be good with it.
Dont particularly want Owies but he does make us stronger immediately

We would have to bundle a couple of those picks up to move up the order, if we get those 3 players then we have up to 5 list spots, 4 if we count Champion.
Would 23+26 get one of the GWS picks? 23+26 for 15?
Even if we only got 6 for our f1, then just swap 15 for 26 and Hynes for Oliver/KPD below:
6-Travaglia
12-Lindsay/Allan
15-Hynes
22-Oliver/KPD?
Champion match bids

Next year get Warner and match bids. If no Warner then we could package up the 2xf1s for a better 1st rounder. I cant see us being bottom 2 next year especially if we are trading in some mature age players so wouldnt be concerned there.

I kinda like it actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back