List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching this whole trade period so far be like

View attachment 2139658

There’s a horrible sense of impending doom that we’re about to do something really stupid based solely on speculative media reports and our own negative perceptions, real or imagined, of our trading history. Which it must be said was under different management to who we have now

The only significant thing we’ve done, or more precisely haven’t done, so far is refuse to roll over for a tummy tickle from Hawthorn and accept their lowball offer for Barrass. That should, and has been on this board at least, viewed as a positive

In media land, however, we’ve apparently dropped the ball by not accepting that offer of either pick 14 and an exchange of of our F3 with Hawthorns F2 or possibly just 14 on it’s own

For whatever reason, it’s been determined that we’re the only club that should be accepting whatever is put in front of us for a contracted player when the likes of Richmond are actively encouraged to push for the maximum return for Rioli and Bolton. Plus the contracted Baker because we’ve promised to bring him in

No mention that Hawthorn actively and quite publicly pursued Barrass, offering him a generous contract extension in the process, only to put the bare minimum on the table after having weeks to prepare a trade offer. Then blew up negotiations because they didn’t get their answer inside the first week when they have no other deals to get done

It’s all quite pathetic

Yet the fear of us doing something stupid just won’t go away despite Pyke barely putting a foot wrong since taking over
Yeah looking forward to the folk suggesting Baker to Freo is on the cards to realise Barrass could be sold off to Hawks, North, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Collingwood, St Kilda, Carlton, Geelong, Richmond, or Essendon.

I feel like the constant calls of trading Barrass to other suitors just isn't realistic. Despite everyone crying about it.
Oh totally agree - but also the reverse is true, Baker's pull to WCE is Mini, Graham and playing for the club he supported as a kid.

I feel like this shop him around narrative is born out of the media asserting every player coming to WA should go to the highest bidder out of WCE & Freo.

Carlton want pick 3 because O'Sullivan is Sam Walsh's cousin , plus looks a very good player .....but likes the option of playing at WC also.

Don't stuff it up .
Don't do any deals at all with Carlton especially our picks this year and future picks next year. Don't deal with them
as they have an ulterior motive.
Willem Duursma is in next years draft, he's highly rated and Carlton love to get him to help persuade Harley to join him and Yasmin there.

Can’t help but think Freo know Baker doesn’t want to go there and are just trying to up his price.

Don’t understand the narrative Eagles are the ones holding out. Tigers could get multiple deals done quickly tomorrow if they wanted.

10+18 for Bolton is fair.
6 for Rioli is overs
6+18 for 3 you would think is fair.
18 for Baker is fair
Ergo 3,10,18 to Tigers
6 & Baker to Eagles
Bolton to Freo
Rioli to GCS.
Maybe some future 3rds around the edges.
Everyone wins, not sure why it isn’t talked about as an option in the media when it’s so obvious.

Can’t help but think Freo know Baker doesn’t want to go there and are just trying to up his price.

Don’t understand the narrative Eagles are the ones holding out. Tigers could get multiple deals done quickly tomorrow if they wanted.

6 for Rioli is overs
18 for Baker is fair
Ergo 3,10,18 to Tigers
6 & Baker to Eagles
Bolton to Freo
Rioli to GCS.
Everyone wins, not sure why it isn’t talked about as an option in the media when it’s so obvious.
I don't hate it

6 for Rioli is overs
18 for Baker is fair
Ergo 3,10,18 to Tigers
6 & Baker to Eagles
Bolton to Freo
Rioli to GCS.

Gold Coast wins paying 6 for Rioli?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not so sure about that last line, but it'd be nice if someone in the media would point this out; Hawthorn publicly courted him - in season mind you - and when Hawks throw the toys out of the cot (according to the media) it's us that have screwed them around to the point of them giving in the first week? F*ck off.

Media: ‘Hawthorn throw the toys out of the cot - sick of waiting for West Coast to come to the party on TB’

Reality: Hawks offer not strong enough for an important & contracted player so they have taken our gift registry and are currently busy filling our shopping cart so they can get their man

Industry sources tell me that Jagga Smith's camp believe he'll be going interstate.
I'd love Jagga at the Eagles, he's perfect for us. Huge work rate, one of the best I've seen u18s. Clearance beast, I don't have issue with his size. Look at Hough, he's starting to put good size on.

Don't think its very hard, keep it simple

Barrass and F3 to Hawks for F1 & Carlton F1

Trade our F1 & Carlton F1 to St Kilda for 7, 8

Pick 23 for Baker

Pick 61 for Dev

2024: 3, 7, 8, Baker, Graham and Dev
2025: Hawks F1, R2, R4
Very nice but no chance.

SK won the lottery in being gifted #8 after their chairman had a tantrum at their b & f.

#7 and #8 are in the sweet spot and they won’t be trading them.

Don't think its very hard, keep it simple

Barrass and F3 to Hawks for F1 & Carlton F1

Trade our F1 & Carlton F1 to St Kilda for 7, 8

Pick 23 for Baker

Pick 61 for Dev

2024: 3, 7, 8, Baker, Graham and Dev
2025: Hawks F1, R2, R4
Trading our f1 is just crazy talk. Just like it was last year.

Imaging having curtain instead of pick 3 in a loaded draft this year.

Not to mention if we want any chance of Warner next year we need our future first to be available.

Simple and unrealistic
How so?

The Barrass one isnt far off whats currently been talked about

The Saints trade based on this year ladder position is dead even, with the potential to slightly favour either side?

Saints might not completely trade out of R1

So could do WC F1 & Carl F1 for 7 & Stk F1

Trading our f1 is just crazy talk. Just like it was last year.

Imaging having curtain instead of pick 3 in a loaded draft this year.

Not to mention if we want any chance of Warner next year we need our future first to be available.
Its loading up on talent this year, we need talent now!

A draft of FOS, Travaglia and Draper is mint!

We still have Hawks F1 and 2026 F1 to trade for Warner

6 for Rioli is overs
18 for Baker is fair
Ergo 3,10,18 to Tigers
6 & Baker to Eagles
Bolton to Freo
Rioli to GCS.
In what world is pick 18 for Baker fair? Good player, love to have him but he's worth mid 20's. The Eagles 2nd is about spot on.

How so?

The Barrass one isnt far off whats currently been talked about

The Saints trade based on this year ladder position is dead even, with the potential to slightly favour either side?

Saints might not completely trade out of R1

So could do WC F1 & Carl F1 for 7 & Stk F1
Hawks haven't offered that and best case won't offer it till late Wednesday, there's no universe where St kilda trade those picks for future picks given we couldn't trade our pick this year for Curtin last year, and we don't have 23 anymore because it's 26.

SCENARIO 1,
Barass + F3 - OUT
Hawks F1 + Hawks F1 (Carl) - IN

F1 (hawks) + F1 (Carl) - OUT
GC 6 + F3 - IN

2024 - 3,6,26,63,68
2025 - R1,R2,R3(GC),R4

SCENARIO 2
Barass + F4 - OUT
Hawks F1 + Hawks F2 + 33 - IN

Hawks F1 + Hawks F2 - OUT
GC 13- IN