List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

this baker stuff is shitting me. 26 is absolutely perfectly appropriate for the need he fills, his calibre and the fact he is OOC and has chosen us.
MAN this week would have been so much better if he was an UFA and we had the foresight to NOT re-sign TB to that extension so we could have pick 4 as compo.
Can you imagine

With the news earlier that the Saints were trying for pick 13, surely the Saints are frontrunners for it now with the Dees after pick 9?
Saints with 7+8+13 could trade us 2 of those picks for pick 3

Sorry how do saints get 13 ?
Their not even mentioned in the above or am I blind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats too much from our side. Cancel the f3 and make it 7 instead of 8
or
3+f2 for 8+13 is probably fair
Thats not enough for us you would think.

3 to 8 isn’t a huge shift in talent.

13 to a future second when it appears according to Tom Morris we are offering an F1 and F2 also doesn’t make sense.

Go back to super draft 2001 and plug our current picks into who went at those spots. Chris Judd absolutely but otherwise you still as a club need to be able identify talent and develop it.
And have a good laugh at Freo at pick 4 while you’re about it.
Good point.

Looking at that draft shows how valuable getting a single draft right can be in rebuilding a team. Geelong got:

Bartel at 8
James Kelly at 17
Charlie Gardiner at 23
Steve Johnson at 24
Ablett gift from the footy gods (pick 40)
Henry Playfair at 41

A lot of Absolute quality mixed with some reasonable role players.

Thats not enough for us you would think.

3 to 8 isn’t a huge shift in talent.

13 to a future second when it appears according to Tom Morris we are offering an F1 and F2 also doesn’t make sense.
3 to 8 is quite a shift.
This talk of an even draft has mixed people up, there are definite tiers, and there arent many inside mids in that 8-15 section of the draft.
3 has the top mids that you guys clearly need. 8 is maybe the worst of that lot of mids, maybe none of them at all. Would need 2 KPP to be picked in that top 7 for the worst of those mids to slide to 8.

its you guys wanting pick 3 here too, its not just us trying to split down

It turns into 3+early f2 for 8+mid f1+midf2 if you want to simplify it back to your original picks

Thats too much from our side. Cancel the f3 and make it 7 instead of 8
or
3+f2 for 8+13 is probably fair
8 + 13 for 3 and 27 was pick 72 or something away from being even points - neither side has the other over a barrel here so you'd imagine it'd have to be a fair and balanced trade for all involved

Neither of our clubs are bidding for players.

By the same token 8+27 for 3 would give you more points and you guys hate that.
Objectively that trade doesn't help us achieve anything though. Too high a price for baker with 8, too low for 27 (according to Richmond)

Yes, we hate the trade, but I was explaining to my fellow blue and gold fan why you won't pay more either

If we have a particular interest in FOS, that might be one reason for an openness to downgrading 3 -- it's beginning to seem like everyone else does too, and with Lalor firming for 1, clubs are coming for North's 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back