List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
First point.

Baker is worth a pick in the teens because our list manager said so. Everyone knows what Baker is worth because it was publicly stated.

Second point

I agree with those that are saying he’s not worth that and we should offer a second round pick for him but go back to the first point.

Third point

If we use pick 3 in a deal for Baker the club would more than likely be looking at a top 10 pick and one in the teens. Now that pick in the teens would be traded to the tigers because guess what. Read the first point.

Fourth point.

The only other reasonable option the club has is it uses some of what it gets for TB but the Hawks are being campaigners and have so far only offered pick 14 which was knocked back. Then traded.

It’s miles off the popular view in here that TB is worth a top 10 pick or two first rounders. It feels like this deal goes till late in the trade period which means it’s unlikely to be used in a deal for Baker.

Fifth point
I don’t see how Matt Clarke comes out of this looking great and there will be some serious melts on this board because read point two, Three and Four.

That’s all folks.
When did our list manager say Baker is worth as pick in the teens? Not saying he didn't say it, just surprised he would not only be wrong, but also have amateur negotiating skills. Could it be a case that one of those guys from gettable said that and he let it through to the keeper?

Well im assuming we split and get pick 6/7/8 + Baker+something else

Whitfield was pick 1 btw, hes the exact type of player we need

Walsh, Rowell and JHF would also go OK in our side.

It’s not so much the type but the quality.

If the top 2-3 were KPP then sure looking to trade would be a no brainer… however this year is mid dominant and exactly where we need talent.

Yet another reason the Carlton trade was poor for us, that is where the KPP players are projected to go. We need a key back, but not more than other positions.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To me it’s still a bit weird Bolton hasn’t said he wants to go to freo….
Now regardless of if I want him or not can we trade to the saints for seven and eight and and our future second and then give eight and one of the at rounder future picks we get we get in the barass trade to Richmond….. this is dependant on getting both the st rounders for next year from hawthorn for barass to still leave two first rounders next year for Warner

If we split 3 for 6 and 13 Richmond would still want 6. Let the Dockers have Baker for 11. Lets keep 3 and trade it draft night for something worthy of our time.
No the Tigers won’t want pick 6 they would want pick 13. Please read point one once again.

I don’t disagree that Baker going to Freo possibly saves us from ourselves but
Baker has nominated the Eagles as his club of choice so we will get a deal done. He won’t end up at Freo.

When did our list manager say Baker is worth as pick in the teens? Not saying he didn't say it, just surprised he would not only be wrong, but also have amateur negotiating skills. Could it be a case that one of those guys from gettable said that and he let it through to the keeper?
Jump on YouTube mate and watch Matt Clarke press conference from a few days back. There’s your answer 👍🏻

Hi sorry for intruding. If you take baker out of the equation ( only worth a r2 or later picks )
Shouldn’t west coast be going hard at extra first rounders even if the barrass trade only gets futures.
Stuff Richmond you guys are looking after west coast.
It’s only the media in my opinion beating baker and Richmond up
It won’t be the done thing but I’d walk away from the baker deal if need be
As I very much doubt freo are offering a first round now ?
He picked you guys and he’s out of contract
I don't think there's many first rounders up for grabs. Everyone but Hawthorn wants to be in the first round. I don't think we have enough to make an offer for 6. I thought 10 and 18 is enough for Bolton. I think Fremantle will be top 4 without him, but with him, I think they're competing for a flag. Baker is worth a mid-20s pick. Rioli is a mid teens pick. They should have jumped at #6 and contained themselves from smirking.

In 2022 WCE traded pick 2 & 40 for 8 and 12.
This is a very different draft mate.

Most people can’t work out who goes where - so it isn’t worth moving 7+8 to go to 3.
Considering we may not use pick 63 this year, we'd really be giving up pick 3 for 8+27. So... no thanks.
With respect mate.

It kinda sounds like we are helping you and Richmond out here.

Not that we have come begging for pick 3.

We already have a great draft hand. We don’t need to weaken it. Losing 7+8 would be doing just that.

That’s what our concern is as a fanbase.

Pick 8 means we will likely be able to get Travaglia or Tauru. If they’re already gone then it means one of highly rated midfielders have slipped through. Not the worst spot to be in.

Would be great if Saints or Tigers (if they have Pick 6) make noise about getting Harry Armstrong who I assume Melbourne will look at with Pick 9. Might make them use Pick 5 on him.

You clearly have more skin in the game than us drafttime armchair experts who watch a few youtube highlights - do you see him ever cracking the midfield full time, or is his future best defined as an attacking "quarterback" type?
I would say he is a more ready fit than what I saw from Duggan pre-draft.
His endurance is elite and that's probably still not his best attribute. His best attribute is his defensive mindedness as well as his intercepting/spoiling behind the play.
He probably needs to bulk up to play more midfield so you'd see such a transition from 2026-2027 when he's had a couple of pre-seasons in the gym. But he's 188cm and the coaching staff were saying that he's put on 7kg this year (and that'd be muscle). He's definitely got a more likely body type to add the necessary muscle than somebody like a Jagga Smith.
If you were after a midfielder at St Kilda's picks and him and Smillie/Langford were available you'd probably take Smillie/Langford as they're more ready-to-go midfielders. But Travaglia has the higher ceiling to develop into a multifaceted player IMO. Also he's a much better two-way runner than either of them (if you wanted a midfielder who is defensively-minded).

We already have Hall and Hewett to bring into the midfield mix next year, we can afford to delay a year on taking another top pick mid. Cant bring in that many kids at once.
Other parts of the ground are just as important than a strong midfield mix

The whole "need a mid at pick3" idea is outdated tbh
Hall imo is not very good.
Hewett needs to get his feet/legs right which may never happen.
Yeo is one serious injury from being done and would benefit more from being used as a HBF for large parts of games and brought in as a burst midfielder in short stints.
Kelly is better utilised as a HFF with stints through the middle.
We absolutely need some more high-end midfielders in the next couple of drafts

He very loosely agreed with a journo who asked if Baker was worth a low teens pick

That could quite easily mean our F2, or later picks that equal the same value but for some reason everyone is fixated on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It kinda sounds like we are helping you and Richmond out here.
abr.gif

We already have Hall and Hewett to bring into the midfield mix next year, we can afford to delay a year on taking another top pick mid. Cant bring in that many kids at once.
Other parts of the ground are just as important than a strong midfield mix

The whole "need a mid at pick3" idea is outdated tbh
Hewett who we have no clear indication as of yet that he is past his foot issue, and Hall who was pick 40 odd? It is probably more likely than not at this stage that both those guys don't make it, and then we have no elite midfield talent besides Harley, the same guy who the entire AFL is circling for and waiting to be out of contract. Saying we should take anything but a potentially elite midfielder with our first is crazy talk, 2025 draft you might be right after a better year for our young mids, but as it stands we need the best midfielder available.

I'm not certain he's the best prospect at that pick, however, due to my interactions with him on basically a weekly basis over the last six months I certainly would prefer we select him, because I've seen his character and the way he acts off the field with his teammates and the coaching staff and I have the utmost respect for how he has gone about his year and taking all opportunities he had available to him this year. Ditto James Barrat.
We may select him if he is available. WCE love a player with good character.

Obviously I hope both go well this year, but neither are the best insurance right now with Hall developing and as yet questionable at the level and Hewett having played only 14 games so far
Hall imo is not very good.
Hewett needs to get his feet/legs right which may never happen.
Yeo is one serious injury from being done and would benefit more from being used as a HBF for large parts of games and brought in as a burst midfielder in short stints.
Kelly is better utilised as a HFF with stints through the middle.
We absolutely need some more high-end midfielders in the next couple of drafts
Hewett who we have no clear indication as of yet that he is past his foot issue, and Hall who was pick 40 odd? It is probably more likely than not at this stage that both those guys don't make it, and then we have no elite midfield talent besides Harley, the same guy who the entire AFL is circling for and waiting to be out of contract. Saying we should take anything but a potentially elite midfielder with our first is crazy talk, 2025 draft you might be right after a better year for our young mids, but as it stands we need the best midfielder available.
They dont have to be insurance. They are kids who we rated highly enough who are yet to get proper exposure to the midfield.
We have already added Graham and are soon to add Baker.
Hewetts latest foot injury was in the opposite foot wasnt it?(or at least an unrelated injury)
Im not saying we never need to draft a mid again, but this year in particular, we dont have to.

The sum of an infinite amount of role players will never equal your top tier players (Daicos, Neale etc). So swapping #3 with another pick and Baker is a terrible idea.

I love Whitfield as a player, but would never choose a player like him with a top 10 pick. He's an outsider. And we don't need a player like Whitfield over a Dawson, Daicos, Heeney type. You don't worry about your outsider and flankers until you have your engine and KPP sorted. You pick them up when your on the way up the ladder and have pick 10-15.
The game is played more and more around transition. Our half backs and outside ball users are shit, to put it crudely.
Why do you think Gold Coast, Collingwood, North and Carlton are so desperate to pick up an elite half back this year?
Clubs base their entire playstyle around half back.

Walsh, Rowell and JHF would also go OK in our side.

It’s not so much the type but the quality.

If the top 2-3 were KPP then sure looking to trade would be a no brainer… however this year is mid dominant and exactly where we need talent.

Yet another reason the Carlton trade was poor for us, that is where the KPP players are projected to go. We need a key back, but not more than other positions.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can have all the elite inside mids you want, but if you dont have a strong half back line that can transition the ball you wont go anywhere.
Geelong are a strong example of no midfield but strong transition game.
Gold Coast, Carlton, and Brisbane of the first couple of months of the year are great examples of sides with strong midfields but no strong half backs that struggled

The game is played more and more around transition. Our half backs and outside ball users are shit, to put it crudely.
Why do you think Gold Coast, Collingwood, North and Carlton are so desperate to pick up an elite half back this year?
Most on here have been unwilling to accept this reality for a few years.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="stallon" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">

Yep, it’s why at least one of Travaglia or Lindsay are a must.

He very loosely agreed with a journo who asked if Baker was worth a low teens pick

That could quite easily mean our F2, or later picks that equal the same value but for some reason everyone is fixated on it.
I saw it. While it doesn't mean he definitely agrees with it, it's alarming. "Around there" could mean 26. Given he's ex-Tigers, and wants Baker at the club, I don't think he can say anything that can be construed as, "we don't rate him that much". And even if he intends offering up 26, I think he's going to wait until the end. If Hawks did give us 14, I'd be taking 14 into the draft over Baker.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back