List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyke is dangerous. In his duffield interview, he alluded to trading picks on draft night. He is going all out. Talk about fox on the hen house.
He keeps sounding desperate. Only place we can get back in will be at GWS 16 range and that will certainly cost us either out F1st or multiple future picks

Have to say but today is a massive one for the club. Need to get a good deal for Barrass (think it'll be as simple as a F1 and F2 and nothing going back), try and get another first round pick with that F1, ideally I'm swapping both those future picks for current 1st and 2nd round picks in this draft, we then need to get Dev across the line for hopefully not much in picks, I think Brisbane will actually want to get him off the books and will facilitate it, not sure Pies have any currency to get him in.

If we can end the day with Dev and another 1st and 2nd I would feel slightly better.

If we're able to pull that off, that would make things a little more palatable. But even still 🥴

The biggest thing we need to address as a football club is competitiveness, in every respect. Competing for the mark, ground ball, hitting a target, a spot in the team.
Every player we have targeted in trade week is a contested ball player, all 3 will fight tooth and nail for that ball.
It is exactly what we need, it sets an example for the younger players and also puts pressure on older players who assume they can just roll up and get a game.
Yeah we’ve slid nine places on the draft board. Pick 12 might turn out to be a jet!
I’m excited to see if we trade back into the 2024 draft from future picks today.
I have faith in Pyke and Woosha and I’m backing in the new Coach.

I hope we’re pushing for both the F2 picks they’re holding. Even if it means giving our F3 back

If, and this is unconfirmed, their offer was 14 and F2 for Barrass and F3 then we take what they got for 14 (Carlton’s F1 and F2) plus the F2 they offered

Question is are we ruthless enough to force that to the last half hour so they blink or do we cave first. I know what posters here will think
There were talks about AFL is going to make the draft points distribution very steep next year. If this is true lower Future Round Picks will be of lower value (when used as guide for matching or trading)

I am praying that once the Barrrass deal goes through we have a deal in place with Richmond to trade back into this draft. And a deal has already been agreed with us clawing back some of the overs we paid for Baker.

Its all I have left to hope for to revover from the current dismal trade result.
Where and what do you expect that to be? What pick do you want? Pick 10?

If we trade our F1st + Hawks F2nd for pick 10 is that a win? Id consider that a big ass loss once again

I just couldnt fathom why Richmond would do a F1st for pick 10 given what Demons just gave up for pick 9 (ie. a shitload more)

I mean that’s convenient but neither Ah Chee or Daniher were top 10s drafted at that club. Both came later - Daniher as a FA and Ah Chee (bless you) for a F2+F4
Regardless of whether they are drafted or traded in the data makes it pretty clear that top ten talent from the draft is evident in every premiership team over the past ten years bar ours and Geelongs. If I showed the first round selections instead of top ten it would be even more startling as the result would then include both ours and Geelongs.

Hawthorns team of rag tags makes for a great story but let’s not forget they haven’t won shit yet and even then they’re lucky to be in Victoria where they can easily trade for players. We are not.

The draft is crucial for us more so than most to rebuild a list.

Last edited:
No.

We obviously retain picks to go to the draft with.

Retain the Barrass picks.

Use a blend of these and a blend of future picks to land Warner and retain picks for the draft.

If we held pock 3 again Swans would demand pick 3 in any trade.

If we bring pick 3 forward we get the benefit now. Not in 12 months when it gets gobbled up trading.

But Obeanie1 where are these blend of picks coming from?

The picks we get (if we get them) in Barrass trade will go for Warner. You propose giving our F2 and F3 back to Hawthorn for the Barrass trade and you also want to trade our F1 to Richmond for 10 and 18 this year. That’s 2025 R1, R2 and R3 all gone. What else is left?Our 2026 picks?

The biggest thing we need to address as a football club is competitiveness, in every respect. Competing for the mark, ground ball, hitting a target, a spot in the team.
Every player we have targeted in trade week is a contested ball player, all 3 will fight tooth and nail for that ball.
It is exactly what we need, it sets an example for the younger players and also puts pressure on older players who assume they can just roll up and get a game.
Yeah we’ve slid nine places on the draft board. Pick 12 might turn out to be a jet!
I’m excited to see if we trade back into the 2024 draft from future picks today.
I have faith in Pyke and Woosha and I’m backing in the new Coach.
Owies aint any of that. He isnt a good defensive pressure player at all. Darling is/was better at that aspect for example.

Baker isnt much of a contested ball winner either, Averaged 8 a game this year. Graham averaged 5. Yeo had 14, Kelly 11, Reid 10 so comes in at 4th on that stat. They will definetly run harder then others though, but in saying that we could have easily found that in the 21-25 age range too

But Obeanie1 where are these blend of picks coming from?

The picks we get (if we get them) in Barrass trade will go for Warner. You propose giving our F2 and F3 back to Hawthorn for the Barrass trade and you also want to trade our F1 to Richmond for 10 and 18 this year. That’s 2025 R1, R2 and R3 all gone. What else is left?Our 2026 picks?
I think he is saying 2025 hawks 1st + our 2025 2nd + our 2026 1st for Warner? Sydney aint taking 1 more F1st for what we get for Barrass.

I have figured out the very strange baker trade. WCE are building from the bottom up.
They are going for a WAFL flag to bring in some 28 year olds at this stage of our rebuild it makes sense.
They want to beat peel with the number of flags so we have it over fremantle in both levels.
It must also be an attempt to get the attendances up at there WAFL games a lot of Eagles members will hand in there membership and instead go and watch the WAFL team.
It all makes sense now well done WCE

24 hours from the trade and have moved on from the initial KING HIT of how bad the transaction was from a purely value perspective.

Now I am turning to the WHAT COULD POSSIBLY HAVE DRIVEN THE CLUB TO DO IT?

It seems like it is a grab for immediate improvement.

PROS - Baker only injects a shot of experience, on field output and consistency into the squad. He should play predominantly as a winger (had 35% average CBAs last season). A position we have seriously struggled to fill in recent seasons.

CONS - Baker is a consistent B+ type, but is not an out and out game changer. He also has a 5 year window.

SO if we sold the future for this, it must surely mean the strategy is to improve immediately with a view to contending finals as soon as possible in that window.

This leads me to Barrass....

How does trading Barrass align with the bolded strategy. Moving Barrass on for future picks depletes the side of one of its two established KB's (with no obvious successor knocking the door down).

I can already see 2025 being a year where Gov doesn't play all 22 games and we are severely exposed against most KF's in the comp.

Having sat through 3 years of on field sh!t where the only reference to a strategy was "we're learning every week", "our development will come" and "the players are getting insight into the level required" this trade period smacks of a continuance of this unaccountable scattergun approach.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Owies aint any of that. He isnt a good defensive pressure player at all. Darling is/was better at that aspect for example.

Baker isnt much of a contested ball winner either, Averaged 8 a game this year. Graham averaged 5. Yeo had 14, Kelly 11, Reid 10 so comes in at 4th on that stat. They will definetly run harder then others though, but in saying that we could have easily found that in the 21-25 age range too
You really are deluded

As far as I'm aware the reason we are trading TB is because he wants to move not because we want him to.

So once again we are being the nice guys and I don't expect we'll get much in the trade TBH.

Doubt Hawks give 2 F1sts...

Reckon F1, F2 for TB F3.

Anyway... let's get this over with

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would you have taken Patrick Cripps at 13 in his draft year Nostradamus?
I never said he wont turn out good. I just dont think he fills a list need. I mean 2 posts ago you spoke of ball movement, hard running and Bo Allan isnt that type of player. He will be good, but it wont solve that ball movement issue.

I also feel sorry for the kid. He will be burdened with unrealistic expectations like the above. He shouldnt have the pressure of being the next Patrick Cripps. He should be allowed to grow into his career without that absurd comparison. Its why we need to be going in with multiple 1st rounders and not just 1 egg in the basket :(

**** warner. Trade the picks we get for barrass into a top ten pick from Richmond now and go to the draft with 3 picks in the top 30.

Then this Trainwreck of a trade period might clactually mean something of value.

Let's worry about warner next year if he actually wants to come home.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back