List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
****, in just one week 200 pages....it was a rollercoaster.

I am not going to lie. That Richmond trade pissed me the fuccckk off; I was hoping, by some miracle, the Hawthorn trade somehow saves it.

Richmond really did get kissed on the dick. We just havent been as lucky. I am not happy, nor angry - its meh. I am worried this pushes things back by another year.

We need talented kids, the picks need to stick this year. In 2025, I hope that we somehow get Sharp + Warner and cover the NGA. Trading back into 2024 will leave us short in 2025.

I don't see us doing anything more in 2025 other than finishing on the same amount of wins and bottom three again. I still feel that 2028 is the year we begin to push finals. This isn't a sprint, it's going to be a marathon.

There have been great players at every pick.

The averages don't lie however. Average games for pick 3 = 138.2, average for pick 12 = 91.4. That's a 34% decrease.
View attachment 2146623
That decrease has to weigh in the games Baker will play . At a pretty good level better than Chris Masten for example I reckon will make up the 34%
Using your reasoning if Baker plays 3 seasons it justifies the pick 3 split well and truly , if he plays more then we have scored !!!!. Do your math properly.

Last edited:
****, in just one week 200 pages....it was a rollercoaster.

I am not going to lie. That Richmond trade pissed me the fuccckk off; I was hoping, by some miracle, the Hawthorn trade somehow saves it.

Richmond really did get kissed on the dick. We just havent been as lucky. I am not happy, nor angry - its meh. I am worried this pushes things back by another year.

We need talented kids, the picks need to stick this year. In 2025, I hope that we somehow get Sharp + Warner and cover the NGA. Trading back into 2024 will leave us short in 2025.

I don't see us doing anything more in 2025 other than finishing on the same amount of wins and bottom three again. I still feel that 2028 is the year we begin to push finals. This isn't a sprint, it's going to be a marathon.
It puts us back a year but we're also really only looking at a genuine KPD to replace McGovern now. We should wind up with a solid player at 12, we should get Warner or a kid with pick 2-3 next year, Hewett will be like a new draftee, and everyone else will be a year older with 20 games more experience.

It does put pressure on the draft team to draft wisely though.

No other rebuilding team would trade out 3 for 27 year old Baker + pick 12.

I still can't believe we have pick 12, 26 and 70 this year while finishing third last. We essentially are picking 2 players this year only.

This year we are literally putting all our eggs on a basket in pick 12 and also slamming harley reid with a hammer
You talk a big game sometimes but this is absolutely spot on.

Matthew Clarke is not fit to be a list manager, at absolute best he is incompetent. In reality he is negligent and even that paints him in a more positive light than he should be after being unable to seperate emotion from judgement.

The plan should have been really simple. Protect or enhance our draft hand, address the midfield (in particular kicking and outside run) and restock KPDs. Looking into the dumpster fire of his shit decisions that will set our rebuild back:

Trade 1: Darling for pick 67

First offer accepted by Clarke. Not even a counteroffer representing the club’s interests instead of Norf’s. Even asking for pick 62 which would have given us consecutive picks in the 40s after bids on Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako, Marshall et. al. Would have at least demonstrated an attempt to negotiate, but as Phil suggests he can’t even do that.

Trade 2: Jack Graham via FA ( band 4 compo)

Knowing full well we he had a hard on for Liam Baker, he could have used the gaping chasm of salary cap space we had available to at least get the Tigers band 3 compo and have them hand back pick 24 and Baker for pick 14, even though it is still overs.

Trade 3: a) 3, 63, 68 for 12, 14, 73, Owies
b) 14 for Baker

Shambolic. Diabolical. Unforgivable. The worst trade in Eagles history. What kind of an idiot blurts out what he’s prepared to pay to a seller on day 1 of a negotiation? Now we miss out on a top 3 mid that we desperately need alongside Harley, let alone one who clearly wanted to play for West Coast. Jagga and Draper would have been a fantastic fit for us too. If he insisted on selling it, we would have gotten far more for it by trading down on draft night instead of paying for a soon 27yo role player.

Then the reports of later pick swaps in the trade came through and for a brief second most thought perhaps we’d negotiated a few 2R/3R picks to get some more talent through the door in a deep draft. But no, to add salt to the wound Clarke had decided to throw in our later picks that at least one would have come into the 40s to help Carlton match bids.

Trade 4: Barrass and F4 for Hawks F1, F2, F3

Somewhat ok but wasn’t surprised at all to read Phil saying things only progressed once Clarke left the negotiations near the deadline. That’s because he’s a f**kwit. No doubt TB’s preference was Hawthorn but why didn’t we create a market like Richmond did for Baker and Bolton? We can get you to Victoria Tom, hopefully to your preference but we value you as 2 x F1s and if we’re offered that then we’ll accept it and get you to Melbourne.

We finished 3rd last in the deepest draft in recent history and we are taking picks 12 and 26 in. For all the cage rattling we’ve traded in two players who will be 27 and one who will be 28 by the time they play a game for us. Some Rebuild.

We also missed out on low cost targets in a better age bracket in Garcia, Peatling and Robertson as well as Buss earlier in the year. Sure, some may have never been leaving but with the carrot of a game every week and a good wage, we would have got at least one of them done in years gone by.

I am deeply concerned for our medium term future if Clarke remains as list manager. Thank f**k he wasn’t in charge last year, he would have traded Harley for Melbourne’s F3. He can f**k off back to Richmond for the next two trade periods as well as he was also working for them in this one.

Happy for the club to pay him out if it means he never sets foot anywhere near our club again.

Good call, although it does suggest pick 3 was an automatic win, which is highly likely, but not guaranteed. And as others have said, you have to wait for that talent to develop, unless it's a generational player like Harley. No doubt the Tassie factor will affect other teams. A big plus if Hewett (and Hall) turned solid. But there are some quality newer players that still haven't found form or position and might be a surprise under new coach and game plan (eg-Maric and Hutchinson)

These are our players who are aged between 22-25 at the start of 2025 :

25:
19/3/99 - Oscar Allen
12/4/99 - Jack Petruccelle

24:
17/4/00 - Bailey Williams
31/7/00 - Callum Jamieson
1/10/00 - Harry Edwards

23:
10/11/01 - Jack Hutchinson

22:
12/1/02 - Luke Edwards
22/11/02 - Tyler Brockman

Waterman was 25 at the start of this year and we all saw what happened when he got a sustained run in his preferred position

Now, if we can get 1 or 2 of that group to make a similar leap (maybe not a becoming AA sized leap) that will be a big win

Oscar Allen is kinda there already but needs to stay on the park

The most likely candidate is Harry Edwards. Stuck behind TB and Gov, he’ll get a full preseason training up as the clear No. 2 and the opportunity to play that role for a full year

Bailey Williams should be told his position is ruck and he’ll be competing with Flynn for that role. Shelve the forward/ruck experiment because he’s not a forward and build his body up over preseason to add the weight he needs to compete properly in the ruck

Excited by what Hutchinson might be able to do after a full AFL preseason

Petch will likely remain a tease but has the athleticism to potentially thrive in a more chaotic style game plan

If Jamieson doesn’t break down again that will be a win in itself

Hopefully, Brockman is more settled after a inauspicious first year and can finally find some consistency- he’s shown he can be a crafty little ****er but needs to do that 10–12 times a game instead of 2-3

Luke Edwards probably won’t be on our list in 2025

Probably need to add someone in this age group as a DFA or SSP selection- apparently we’re still tracking Jack Carroll who’d make sense

Bazzo, Hough, Maric and Reid are the only players I have seen that look like they will make it. The others are stuck in development hell.

The Eagles need more midfield depth to really start climbing the ladder. 7-8 wins next year is the ceiling.
Disagree sorry mate - I'd add Long, Hewitt, & Ginbey to that list. Very bullish about them.

Very promising signs too from JWilliams, Dewar, Hall, Hutch, Johnston & Chess. They all have AFL attributes, but need to put it all together & get more games - I'd prob call it just regular development rather than development hell.

Agree with your assessment of ceiling though - Baker & Graham go a long way to fixing our mid depth issues, but need to nail a couple more gun mids. I think we're a reasonable chance to rise up the ladder a few spots next year, but 7-8 wins is probably the limit.

I am starting to hone in on the 2025 prospects to get an understanding on really rough rankings and what clubs might be looking to do with future picks

1729220406074.png

1729220757356.png
I am a visual person so fully colour in where a player is tied to a club and the name coloured just indicates where they are from (I should probably put the Sandy Dragons in a real mummy's colour of candy pink).

This is not about arguing the exact rankings as this is far from right but indicative I have taken from HUN and BF and alike. I have not had time for the rough ordering yet and will cover better closer to the draft.

Looking at the top end, there are loads of Norther Academy prospects (Suns x 3, Swans x 2 GWA x 1). It will b every important to see what the matching rules will be once the AFL releases more information.

Early days but I see the Suns have already got their 3 x F1 picks in place to get their potential 3 x top 10 prospects.

The Swans have 2 mid to late R1 prospects which is why they may be prepared to take a couple of F2 picks for one of their later R1 this year.

And here is my 2025 Future picks situation (obviously this will be being worked now and on draft night
1729221143165.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That decrease has to weigh in the games Baker will play . At a pretty good level better than Chris Masten for example I reckon will make up the 34%
Using your reasoning if Baker plays 3 seasons it justifies the pick 3 split well and truly , if he plays more then we have scored !!!!. Do your math properly.
I was directly commenting only on 3 v 12.

I haven't even gone into the quality of those games, or impact of Baker.

We should get DGB, Sam Day and Jaiden Hunter in the train on squad and tell them the most impressive will get a deal via the SSP.

Sam Day would be pointless

Hunter’s body sounds like it’s shot

If DGB wasn’t a former top 10 pick nobody would be interested but it would be worthwhile getting him as a train on IF we have a spare list spot post draft which I don’t think we will

Here is an updated end of 2025 age by position chart. I have made some assumptions that L Edwards and Rotham are delisted and we will need another to go to take 5 picks and the contenders in danger are Culley, Burgiel and Witherden.

1729222238571.png

Our glaring weakness is that only 24% of our list is in their prime years of 23 to 27. We are OL at the 28 and 29 mark but apart from Ryan, the other 5 are solid role players

“They’ll have more kids on the list”

The eagles currently have 19 players under 22 on the list, and an extra first and second next season.

Richmond have 10 players under 22 and an extra 6 picks this year.

Your claims are simply not based on reality, at least try and do a modicum of research first.
I just counted 14, 22 and under, and didn’t include those turning 23 in the next couple of months.

Don’t know if Richmond are delisting any.

Don’t know if you’re delisting any of your kids. Been a bit of discussion here about Culley being one.

The Barrass deal was actually pretty amenable.

What infuriates me is why not wait to complete that trade before trading for Baker?

Then we could have offered pick 26 and the Hawks F2. If they were still jerks and dug their heels in I’d have been (begrudgingly) fine trading the Hawks F1.

Then we keep 3 and still end up with Baker.

And who could possibly care if we didn’t land Mitch Owies.

Feels like there wasn’t a coherent strategy in place for this trade period. Which after the last 3 and a half years sadly isn’t surprising.
All in the last 5 minutes?

can't imagine there is any way we end up with warner AND a top 5 pick next year
Next stop, wooden spoon as Richmond somehow accidentally finish above us. Hawks finish bottom 3 (two teams can't be worse than Richmond).

Go to draft with pick 1 and 3. Warner volunteers to be the ultimate champ and go into the PSD, and we take at pick 1 there. All our problems are solved.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back