List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m not ignoring trades.

I’ve said so many times, how can you account for someone you don’t know.

You might get Chad next year, but is Sydney going to ask for both 2025 first round draft picks?

He’s a good player, but then you still need to hit the next two drafts first rounds.

Who’s after Chad?

You need to hit on multiple first rounds picks, before starting to trade in needs.

Just my opinion, you’ve hit on one, and Ginbey might be a second hit as a defender.

The whole time here, I’ve haven’t been saying your rebuild will fail. No one can until hindsight.

I have been saying it’ll take much longer than some here were originally saying.

Given the move on Baker i would skip on Warner & hit the draft again targeting the bumper WA crop for 2025.

Let Petch go as a free agent generate points for our FS & Academy players. Get dual premiership defender in Starcevich for free.

Given the move on Baker i would skip on Warner & hit the draft again targeting the bumper WA crop for 2025.

Let Petch go as a free agent generate points for our FS & Academy players. Get dual premiership defender in Starcevich for free.
I am with you on that one. We have some good WA talent - I especially like Rodriguez. Loving the idea of being able to use points to get Banfield and Walley. Evans has some great attributes but I waver between a Cat B and a rookie since he is so far off being AFL ready.

Surely if we get in Starcevich and lose Petch, as netting off free agents there is zero compensation!

Freo would be laughing at it, there is not a lot of love for him over there.
I wouldn't say that, I think most fans just knew we'd gotten everything we could out of him, probably kept him a year or two too long.

Reckon he'd be a solid depth player for a team that needed him though if he can get his back right. Do hope he signs with a WAFL club though.

I’m not ignoring trades.

I’ve said so many times, how can you account for someone you don’t know.

You might get Chad next year, but is Sydney going to ask for both 2025 first round draft picks?

He’s a good player, but then you still need to hit the next two drafts first rounds.

Who’s after Chad?

You need to hit on multiple first rounds picks, before starting to trade in needs.

Just my opinion, you’ve hit on one, and Ginbey might be a second hit as a defender.

The whole time here, I’ve haven’t been saying your rebuild will fail. No one can until hindsight.

I have been saying it’ll take much longer than some here were originally saying.

Can’t be any longer than brisbanes.

Ok gaiz, as requested, here is my list of Top 5 Favourite Richmond Moments.

1. Jack Riewoldt kicking 10 vs West Coast.
  2. D.Rioli kicking GOTY vs West Coast
  3. When Vickory KO'd Cox right in the melon on a cold rainy night at Subi.
  4. When Benny C returned to Subi and torched his old club West Coast
  5. Matt Clarke's 2024 trade period.

Plz tell me what your favourite moments were, and anything else I've missed in the comments section below.
Lecca coming of age last round 2006

5 goals in a 96 point flogging of the tiges at the G

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So processing the afternoon delistings, we have 5 spots available. That brings a total of 9 players exiting the club so far. We have 2 our of contract players in Luke Edwards and Rotham.

As it stands, we can take 5 picks at the national draft/PSD/Rookie draft and SSP, depending on Edwards and Rotham.

Our current senior team is sitting at 34 (max is 38) and rookie A is 3 (room to be flexible in) with Cat B at 2 (at max)

Changes

1729236918630.png

How awesome it would be for perch to become a peatling of 2025 that generates us band 1 component.

He needs to kick 20-30 goals and watch the clubs pile in, like hawks….or maybe Carlton as owies left.

I hate delistings - as much as it's necessary to improve our squad I feel sad to see players cut. I feel particularly for Jai Culley. I was at the MCG when he did his knee. Up until then he'd been a promising player and it seems rough for him to be axed after only one post-ACL season. Probably the right decision given the presumed emphasis on speed with the new coach's game plan, though I'd have shown the door to Rotham before Culley. I hope Jai gets another crack at AFL elsewhere.

It leaves defender Josh Rotham, who had attracted interest from Essendon, and Luke Edwards whose season came to an end after another concussion, as the only to Eagles without a deal for next season.

Save us Bombers! C'mon Vozzo, one more act of craziness.

So someone earlier in the year said we’d be making about 10 list changes. We are on 9 so far with calls still to be made on Rotham & Edward’s.

Think we turned over about 10 last year so that’s nearly half the list gone in 2 preseasons. Can’t really work out how people can say we aren’t rebuilding.
Potentially another 10 list changes next year as well given the players OOC below.
  • Tim Kelly - Probably re signs for 2 years
  • Dom Sheed - Retire
  • Oscar Allen - Big contract extension coming
  • Campbell Chesser - Eagles wont give up yet so will get an extension
  • Tom Cole - Probably re signs for 2/3 years
  • Rhett Bazzo - Eagles wont give up yet so will get an extension
  • Jayden Hunt - Will be 30, might be squeezed out
  • Callum Jamieson - Delist
  • Jeremy McGovern - 1 year deals from now on.
  • Jamie Cripps - Retire
  • Jack Petruccelle - Trade/Delist
  • (R) Jack Hutchinson - Extend him
  • (R-B) Tyrell Dewar (27/3/04) - Extend him
  • (R) Loch Rawlinson (1/6/05) - Likely delist
  • (R-B) Coen Livingstone - Likely delist

Easily in the range of 8 to 10 list changes next year

In the end it's probably the right choice, but Burgiel will always be one of the big "what ifs" for me.

He played 3 WAFL games off half-back in his first season and had 20 odd disposals in all three of those games. As an 18 year old playing against men for the first time, he was clean, composed and showed glimpses of his pace. He looked to me like a genuine star and if not for his constant hamstring injuries, I have no doubt he would've debuted that year.

Got a little bit more continuity in his body this year and managed the 12 WAFL games, but I reckon his hammies were playing on his mind. Looked like he was playing within himself - certainly didn't get near what he showed off limited game time the year before.

Sure, there are questions about his competitiveness and intensity, but I still think there's a good footballer somewhere in him. Has talent in spades, it's a real shame how his time at the club has turned out. Hope he finds some continuity in his body and eventually gets back onto a list.

Deadset agree.

Also injuries aside just another indictment on the Beagles as a development pathway. 2 of those 3 2023 games you mentioned were round 1+2, presumably playing on instinct, then has followed the pattern of most who've plied their trade predominantly in the WAFL.

Of our young players, Reid and Ginbey were obviously always going to be immediately ready but as for some others:

Hough AFL debut round 1
Long AFL debut round 1
Maric debuted at AFL level right after coming across
Hutch dominated his first WAFL game before debuting

Of the ones who followed the more standard pattern of playing WAFL first, the only one who naturally increased their performances in any sort of linear fashion, debuted then has developed as hoped so far seems to be JWilliams. The rest who were drafted after the Beagles system began have had mixed results at AFL level but have seemed to almost decrease in performance at state level, flounder in development to differing degrees and been awkward in finding their feet.

Feels like players when coming in A) always make it like those listed above, B) will never make it (Tom Gorter, Ryan Burrows etc) or, crucially, C) might make it or might not based on development and circumstance. Burgiel was definitely a C) type there, maybe he wouldn't have made it regardless but under our system and with his injuries I doubt he's had the proper confidence and pathway to have a chance to.

We need to start converting more of those maybes into yeses with our development - the fact Winder after 1 season away feels like a redraft option is another symptom of the same concern. If he or Burgiel had been drafted to Geelong and then didn't make it at least Geelong fans could fairly confidently assume that was on the player.

In the end it's probably the right choice, but Burgiel will always be one of the big "what ifs" for me.

He played 3 WAFL games off half-back in his first season and had 20 odd disposals in all three of those games. As an 18 year old playing against men for the first time, he was clean, composed and showed glimpses of his pace. He looked to me like a genuine star and if not for his constant hamstring injuries, I have no doubt he would've debuted that year.

Got a little bit more continuity in his body this year and managed the 12 WAFL games, but I reckon his hammies were playing on his mind. Looked like he was playing within himself - certainly didn't get near what he showed off limited game time the year before.

Sure, there are questions about his competitiveness and intensity, but I still think there's a good footballer somewhere in him. Has talent in spades, it's a real shame how his time at the club has turned out. Hope he finds some continuity in his body and eventually gets back onto a list.
The appendicitis didn't help too

Old briztoon cops it.

There are always going to be some rose-coloured views on the club, and being an outsider, he will have the opposite. I don't think he has said anything outrageous. In some aspects I do agree with him.

I think there are a lot of holes that need to be addressed and push our rebuild and drafting the core group for another couple of years.
I don't mind him either.

But sometimes he needs to hold back on the criticism or negative comments.

Like when we're pretty much all pissed off over splitting pick 3.

That would've been a good time to keep quiet.

He is a guest here after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back