List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
My brain hurts after reading the last 10 pages....so Nelson's a spud that we want delisted but could trade to essendon. Rioli we either want to keep because he's a Gun, trade for a pick in the 20s cos that's fair or work out a magical 3 way and get Brisbane's 1st while sending him to Port. Then we have 15 pages of Witherden talk. It was a good deal at the time that didn't work out for us. s**t happens. 🤣 I love the Pre Trade Period

2 and a half more months to go of it as well 🥳

Maybe if you’d started from that position, rather than “why the * did we hire Jacob Brennan as an assistant coach when he was a bog average player”…
I started all this but I was simply asking what peeps thought of our Development coaches and the fact we don’t have a list manager as we are about to embark on a transition/rebuild and bring hopefully a heap of young talent in.
I’d hope that the development side of it going forward is more than just keeping the boys off the beers and bongs like a couple have suggested.

Where's the rule that says you can't trade a pick back to the club that you got it from?

I understand within the same trade period (to close a loophole us and Sydney exploited from memory, * this club for never trying anything new etc), but outside of that?

What if we traded Port's second rounder to another club, who then send it to Port as part of a three-way trade involving Rioli. Allowed?
Not sure I can answer all that but I have definitely read that you can’t trade a pick back to the same club

Maybe if you’d started from that position, rather than “why the * did we hire Jacob Brennan as an assistant coach when he was a bog average player”…

Well... he was though, and until now he's had Xerox experience coaching senior football at any level :shrug:

Tad different from Mark Williams.

Just highlighting the chalk and cheese between clubs bruv. Didn't mean to cause offence, and for that I apologise.

Well... he was though, and until now he's had Xerox experience coaching senior football at any level.

Tad different from Mark Williams.

Just highlighting the chalk and cheese between clubs bruv. Didn't mean to cause offence, and for that I apologise.

He’s not in the same role as Mark Williams.

He’s got more experience in coaching than Eddie Betts who you also chucked up as the sort of ex player we should be filling that spot with.

We’ve got bigger problems than whether Jacob Brennan should be on the coaching panel.

He’s not in the same role as Mark Williams.

He’s got more experience in coaching than Eddie Betts who you also chucked up as the sort of ex player we should be filling that spot with.

This is true.

Which means we can open up into a nice friendly discussion about what people think might be better. A better career CV, or coaching WAFL colts.

Personally I think a good mix of both is tasty. 28 games and a Colts coaching background isn't really a good mix IMO.

Now, ima go workout, you have a think about your answer and we can reconvene later.

This is true.

Which means we can open up into a nice friendly discussion about what people think might be better. A better career CV, or coaching WAFL colts.

Personally I think a good mix of both is tasty. 28 games and a Colts coaching background isn't really a good mix IMO.

Now, ima go workout, you have a think about your answer and we can reconvene later.

Don’t skip the legs.

Where's the rule that says you can't trade a pick back to the club that you got it from?

I understand within the same trade period (to close a loophole us and Sydney exploited from memory, * this club for never trying anything new etc), but outside of that?

What if we traded Port's second rounder to another club, who then send it to Port as part of a three-way trade involving Rioli. Allowed?

I suspect there's confusion between stopping the Sydney shenanigans within one trade window, and future picks being able to be returned in separate trade windows as part of legitimate trades.

It would be far more difficult to 'park' a future pick with another club and have an agreement to get it back. Too much changes in 12 months, staff, team performance, individual player desires.

Hurn staying on probably puts Witherden on the delist pile. Had he retired, Witherden may have been given a lifeline

That said I don’t think he’ll be officially delisted next week as he might have some trade value and/or if someone like Rotham asks to be traded then Witherden might be retained

It’s why Nisbett has said it’ll be a while before some final decisions are made
Yes but what if Hurn starts breaking down as the season gets longer or is a shadow of his former self (unlikely) - as should Hurn’s calf’s (old man’s disease) or his Hammies start causing him grief. Personally I would keep Witherden on our list as insurance.

Winder needs to be delisted

Why the shock FKASC, Winder has been very poor this year Isiah WINDER | WAFL he averages 17 disposals per game at WAFL level this year and averaged 16 disposals last year. He will turn 21 in May next year. He lacks work ethic, hasnt improved much and is a waste of a list spot. He was recruited as a fwd and he kick 4 goals in the Wafl from 10 games this year, last year he kicked more in the WAFL I believe. His numbers essentially have gotten no better and were never that good to begin with. If you cant be half decent in WAFL, he is unlikely to make it in AFL. Given his low goal and disposal numbers I thought he might be a tackle machine like Culley but alas no, he is an average tackle but nothing to write home about. de-list, no use holding onto below par youngsters, he was taken with pick 57 so was very speculative anyway and we are using 4 picks in top this year so give those blokes a go and maybe draft a few depth players below 23, we have the worst under 23's in the league and the sooner we realise it the better.

I just don't see how getting a C grade player like Brennan with no actual memorable skills in any area (foot, hand, marking, tackling, body position) to be a development coach is even a good idea.

Daresay he comes cheap and that's the main reason? Other than his link to the club of course. I understand former players normally get the nod for these roles, but can the richest club in the land really not do any better than a bloke who played 28 forgettable games? Goodness gracious me.

Get Priddis back. Or Kerr. Braun. Wirra. Q-Stick. Hell, even Benny if he can hold down the gig. Guessing it's only part time.

Yes, get Daniel Kerr.

Only part time.

Can be completed on day release.

😬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but what if Hurn starts breaking down as the season gets longer or is a shadow of his former self (unlikely) - as should Hurn’s calf’s (old man’s disease) or his Hammies start causing him grief. Personally I would keep Witherden on our list as insurance.
They didn't pick Witherden when we had Cole and Yeo out.
He's obviously fallen out of favour.

He's not up to it.
Delist.

Fremantle did send back this years second rounder as well. Their good performance is making the trade look better by the day.

Similar to our trade in 2017 when we got pick 21 (Allen) and 26 (Ryan) from the Gold Coast for our 2018 first (ended up being pick 23, Jez McLennan). People mocked us at the time, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Even if Freo finished bottom this year, it still would have been a pick upgrade AND a player for a bit of extra cap space. No one was mocking that trade. They also got an additional 4th rounder.

Rioli is chasing money & job security for his last significant contract. Not shocking.

If he's keen to stay and it's only the contract that's the issue... surely we're better off paying him for an extra year than a receiving a future 2nd rounder. The likelihood that we'll get someone of his talent & caliber in that draft range is slim.

Hai gayz :raisinghand:

I'd rather Rioli left than us give him a 4 year contract. That would be absolutely crazy irresponsible list management. 2 years at most if he were to stay IMO.

We've just carried him for 2 years of nothing on our list and then he comes back for 14 goals from 13 games. No way does he deserve anything longer than that.

Port are really dicing with the devil thinking they can get Rioli to not only stay on the park for another 4 seasons, but also return to some good form.

If they want to do it, we need to take advantage of their stupidity and cash in.

Disagree. The idea of a trade is that you know what you are getting. Freo are just stupid.

Everyone knew Hogan had off field issues.
Everyone knew Bennell had off field issues.
Everyone knew McCaarthy had off field issues.
Hill was a gun and excellent pickup on the cheap. (until he realised he could earn twice as much with half as much effort)

Name 1 player who turned it around instantly after being a shithead at their first club.
Stengle at Geelong doing a decent turnaround so far.

I agree that we shouldn't give Rioli a 4 year deal, but this is the bit I'm worried about. We already have their second rounder and they won't give us their first.

Future bruv.

Future future future.

If we can't cash in this year we might as well start building next year's draft haul. Hopefully our list is transitioning into proper rebuild mode by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back