List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
I think we were looking at Hewitt first but Ginbey grabbing all the attention at the camp May mean taking him first just in case.
I get a bit pissed off at all the frantic sobbing about gun picks.There’s no standouts,Wardlows delivery/decision making is sus.People are wetting their panties about Shizzel going home which has never been a WCE problem. Tsarina or whatever his name is cant kick according to people on here, ditto Cadman.( Hewitt can probably kick better on his left than most of these blokes)
If Murphy or Schake (both No 1s) were available would you take them?
Get it through your heads people; WCE don’t draft by location.If it’s 50/50 it may swing the vote. If we go West it’s because that’s who we rate the highest!
Who is WCs No 1 talent? For me it’s O Allen and where was he taken? If he was available in this draft he’d go No 1.
Barring another catastrophic injury run we will not finish bottom four. Get over yourselves you miserable gits!
We didn’t become such a successful club by being stupid!!

I sincerely hope rioli rocks up to port in the new year looking like this.

Dog Wiener GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we were looking at Hewitt first but Ginbey grabbing all the attention at the camp May mean taking him first just in case.
I get a bit pissed off at all the frantic sobbing about gun picks.There’s no standouts,Wardlows delivery/decision making is sus.People are wetting their panties about Shizzel going home which has never been a WCE problem. Tsarina or whatever his name is cant kick according to people on here, ditto Cadman.( Hewitt can probably kick better on his left than most of these blokes)
If Murphy or Schake (both No 1s) were available would you take them?
Get it through your heads people; WCE don’t draft by location.If it’s 50/50 it may swing the vote. If we go West it’s because that’s who we rate the highest!
Who is WCs No 1 talent? For me it’s O Allen and where was he taken? If he was available in this draft he’d go No 1.
Barring another catastrophic injury run we will not finish bottom four. Get over yourselves you miserable gits!
We didn’t become such a successful club by being stupid!!
Past performance does not guarantee future success.

Because the last 4 years has been a rotting carcass at all levels.

You won’t get an argument from me that Port paid unders for Rioli and JHF. They really did kill the pig in this trade

Ultimately though they had the upper hand on negotiations for both players

North could have held JHF to his contract but to do so would have meant retaining a player they knew wouldn’t be giving his best (see Rawlings comment) and would be asking for a trade as an uncontracted player in 12 months. Their best chance of getting something approaching a decent return was now, even if it meant taking unders

As for Rioli we faced the very real prospect of seeing him walk to the PSD and get nothing. It’s all well and good to say we should have taken a stand to prove a point but what would that actually achieve. We managed to get a future 2nd round pick. Not ideal but choices were limited

Both clubs say goodbye to players that took up a significant amount of resources for little return in 2022 and could be argued were an unsettling influence. Certainly for JHF, maybe for Rioli

They are both Port’s problem now and good luck to them if they can get them playing at their best

Although we could have done the Rioli trade without the pick 2 split.

Pick 40 + Rioli <-> Future 2nd & 3rd picks

Port players on decline

Dixon - bad ankle issues
Gray - retired
Amon - Hawks
Boak- Getting older
Butters - Star
Rozee - Star
Georgiades - glute , quad dodgy
Ah Chee - fringe type good handballs
Ebert - Can't kick that well but good bloke once an Eagle
Lycett - Always injured
Zero ruckman of note ....

Port will go okay similar to Fremantle, Adelaide have some quality will be on level terms sooner then later !

Not upset with the trade down, it gives us another first rounder we wouldn’t have had otherwise. Seems to be quite even in terms of picks 5-15 anyway.

We need to get young talent on our list. We’ve not had much in the way of first rounders and this gives us 2 to go with Chesser coming in next year. Gives us a good shot at least one decent midfielder and maybe someone like a Busslinger or Jefferson.

Could we have gotten a better deal? Possibly. But from who? There wasn’t a great deal of options in my thoughts to give us 2 picks in the first round AND get into next year too.

If anyone wants to put together a trade or series of trades that nets us better than 8 and 12 go ahead. I tried and couldn’t do it with one exception and that was North retaining pick 1 and not selecting Cadman. GWS seem hellbent on getting that off North so it was never likely to be the case

So start with GWS with 1, us with 2 and North with 3 and do better than 8 and 12

For whatever reason our recruiters aren’t impressed enough with the top end of the draft and let’s be honest most comments from the draft watchers here had at least one red flag attached to each of Cadman, Wardlaw, Sheezel and Tsatas. The impression I got was as a group they were below the standard of previous drafts at the pointy end

We’ve traded out a pick to get one of those, and instead to two cracks at a group of players slightly below in quality to the top end but relatively even through that group - Mackenzie, Humphrey, Clark, Hotton, Hollands, Busslinger, Hewett, Ginbey, Phillipou are the names that come up regularly

Ports F2 for Rioli is about right

Swapping 40 for Ports F3 gets us an extra pick in a deeper draft

Ideally we should have either kept 40 or received 33 off Port as a premium for splitting pick 2 since it wasn’t something we needed to do. It did help us get some value for Rioli though which we may not have got otherwise

It isn’t a great trade and it’s hard to see how we’ve maximised our bargaining position. Nor do I think it’s horrible enough to be melting over - we’re one late 2nd/early 3rd away from this being a good deal

It would also appear by trading out 40 we only intend using 4 picks in this draft. Either that or we have an eye on someone in the back end of the draft that might be there with a late pick
Yep, with GWS moving to pick 1 for Cadman. Pick 2 lost a lot of value.
The only other deal floated was Carlton for Sheezel, but that was 10 and F1.

Am fine with the trade.

Eagles were clearly keen to split picks and that should tell you how they rated this draft from an evenness point of view. I suspect a group of players were in the same tier and getting another 1rnd pick plus Improving our 2023 hand were big wins for the club given thier internal rating.

My only gripe is that it was our pick 40 and not ports 33 that was steak knives. Mainly from a principle point of view as they got it thier way far too easy.

Not that we would have used 40 but then again we could have bundled it to improve 26 perhaps (or further strengthen the 2023 hand). But yeah that's not worth losing sleep over.

Excited for the draft.. 8 feels like a sweet spot for value. Hoping for the poo.

It's not about being chicken-s**t, hell last year their top pick was a guy from the VFL. But the reality of AFL these days is that players have a lot of power in forcing their way back home, and the WA clubs are the longest distance from where most of the top players come from. If the Eagles aren't going to be particularly good the next two years, it's not hard to imagine them drafting a guy #2/3 overall and then him coming to them after two years (or even pulling a JHF and at the end of next season) saying that they're homesick and want to go back to Vic. In which case you've wasted a year or two of development and are pretty much guaranteed to not get full value for that player in a trade. If it's like last year where everyone more or less agreed that there were 3 elite talents (JHF, Darcy, Daicos) then sure, I'd agree that you have to grab one of them, but this year it seems like there's Will Ashcroft and then a hodge podge of players who could be considered at #2, and in that case I don't mind at all having the 8th and 12th picks instead.

Personally I think that too much power currently lies with the young player and they should be contracted to the club that drafts them for a minimum of 3 years, and they shouldn't be able to force their way out as easily as they do now.
Doesn’t that make it more important to nail the trading period then and get maximum value? We’re potentially giving up quality to take the safer local options so you better make the trades count. None of this taking unders just so the deal gets over the line. Be an arseh*le, we’re beginning to have no choice over here. Otherwise we’ll start getting left behind by the VFL feeder club machine, unless WA starts pumping out a fair number of belters

The players that will be available at 8 have more potential and less risk for us than the ones that will be off the table.

It’s a massive win if we pick up Phillipou/Mackenzie/Humphrey.

The only mids that we could’ve picked up that will definitely be off the table are Tsatsas (don’t want) and Clark (lower ceiling than above 3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back