Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll share my point system from the u18s champs on the best 20 performers from my analysis

Harvey Langford - 61
Tobie Travaglia - 49
Jagga Smith - 46
Luke Urquhart - 46
Xavier Lindsay - 34 in 3
Leo Lombard - 45
Ben Camporeale - 45
Sid Draper - 44
Bo Allan - 32 in 3
Levi Ashcroft - 42
Murphy Reid - 42
Cooper Hynes - 42
Dyson Sharp - 41*
Xavier Ivisic - 40

Most Goals
H.Armstrong 9 in 3, Berry 9, Kako 8, Welsh 8, Murphy 7, Champion 6, Bradley 6
Think Davis was top goal scorer from WA with 7

APS is basically another Coates anyway with the amount of scholarships given out 😂😂

Caulfield, Haileybury, Brighton are all stacked

Maybe but surely it's just worse conditions for scouting players, and for comparing prospects across states.

Not to mention, less exposure for us nuffies. You never see footage or hear stats from the APS games, unless someone has a really noteworthy performance.

Seems awful for recruiting.
Maybe but surely it's just worse conditions for scouting players, and for comparing prospects across states.

Not to mention, less exposure for us nuffies. You never see footage or hear stats from the APS games, unless someone has a really noteworthy performance.
I can speak for the Pioneers coaching staff that they hate losing key players to school football.
And the scouts/recruiting teams aren't very keen on it either as school footy is not equitable to CTL.

In that case, I'm surprised clashes don't happen more often. I'd have thought most of the very top prospects are on scholarships, right? But usually the very early picks have played plenty of CTL. Or maybe I'm just wrong on that.

Well, yeah, exactly - so instead of footage/stats/reports, we get the old 'listed in the bests' and that's it?

You do realise school footy has been going on for well over 100 years ? And alot of these schools invest heavily with scholarships ?

The boys play plenty of footy don’t worry about that

Club footy , rep footy , school footy etc

Totally agree these kids are generally in the their last year of school and carry a lot of pride for their schools. Plus as you stated a number are on footballing scholarships so they have an obligation to their schools.

Totally agree these kids are generally in the their last year of school and carry a lot of pride for their schools. Plus as you stated a number are on footballing scholarships so they have an obligation to their schools.
And you wouldn’t know it …an education and getting a leg up to get a good one because you’re good at footy is not something to be sneezed at

Hey Davo, Loving your content as always Mate. Interested in your thoughts on the Combine Invite list released today. Any surprises on who was or wasn't invited to National or State Combines? https://www.afl.com.au/news/1185018/2024s-most-wanted-draft-combine-nominees-revealed
It doesn't matter if they go to the national combine or the state combines, as long as they go to a combine, that's what really matters, my top 75 list is who I think should go to a combine and get tested.

The differences being (from who is invited to National or State Combines already)...

Oliver Depoali-Kubank - who I think has had a good champs for the Allies and has good performances for Tassie
Patrick Retschko - who I think is quality for Oakleigh and had an ok champs
Lucas McInerney - who didn't play champs as a winger because VM decided to play mids on the wing, but he was a star for Northern this year and for VM at u16 level
Doug Kerr - who did an ACL near the same time as Hotton, a terrific strong mid NGA with Coll
Luke Quaynor - similar to his brother at Coll, NGA to Coll, doesn't win as much ball or have the hype Isaac got, but could be a handy addition
Zaydyn Lockwood - a very tall and athletic KPD with great 1 on 1 skills and a real shut down defender who is Rich NGA
Fergus McFadyen - had a great champs for the Allies doing a lot of tough stuff with run and carry, Bris A
River Stevens - even though he is small, the FS of NM Stevens looks skilful and performed well at the champs in bursts

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't matter if they go to the national combine or the state combines, as long as they go to a combine, that's what really matters, my top 75 list is who I think should go to a combine and get tested.

The differences being (from who is invited to National or State Combines already)...

Oliver Depoali-Kubank - who I think has had a good champs for the Allies and has good performances for Tassie
Patrick Retschko - who I think is quality for Oakleigh and had an ok champs
Lucas McInerney - who didn't play champs as a winger because VM decided to play mids on the wing, but he was a star for Northern this year and for VM at u16 level
Doug Kerr - who did an ACL near the same time as Hotton, a terrific strong mid NGA with Coll
Luke Quaynor - similar to his brother at Coll, NGA to Coll, doesn't win as much ball or have the hype Isaac got, but could be a handy addition
Zaydyn Lockwood - a very tall and athletic KPD with great 1 on 1 skills and a real shut down defender who is Rich NGA
Fergus McFadyen - had a great champs for the Allies doing a lot of tough stuff with run and carry, Bris A
River Stevens - even though he is small, the FS of NM Stevens looks skilful and performed well at the champs in bursts
Hey Mate, what are your thoughts on Lockwood? Can he make it at the level being that he is made of match sticks? Seems to be a super gifted athlete but cant kick.

Hey Mate, what are your thoughts on Lockwood? Can he make it at the level being that he is made of match sticks? Seems to be a super gifted athlete but cant kick.
He is a good contested 1 on 1 shut down defender, seems to use it effectively, not sure on quality of kick, good athletic traits 198cm I believe, I was disappointed he didn't get a run for VC at the champs, because his lead up and trials game warranted a game, looks like when he puts on weight he could fit in at AFL level and looks like Richmond get him with a late pick.

He is a good contested 1 on 1 shut down defender, seems to use it effectively, not sure on quality of kick, good athletic traits 198cm I believe, I was disappointed he didn't get a run for VC at the champs, because his lead up and trials game warranted a game, looks like when he puts on weight he could fit in at AFL level and looks like Richmond get him with a late pick.
Thanks for the reply mate, hoping he can add weight as he doesn't appear to have the frame for it.

Hey Davo-27 just trying to get an understanding of the quality of the top end of the group this year. Obviously if Harley Reid was in this years draft he would be number 1 but let’s say you had Colby McArcher in this years draft, would he be a clear number 1 or in the conversation with the other 5 kids we are talking about this year?

Hey Davo-27 just trying to get an understanding of the quality of the top end of the group this year. Obviously if Harley Reid was in this years draft he would be number 1 but let’s say you had Colby McArcher in this years draft, would he be a clear number 1 or in the conversation with the other 5 kids we are talking about this year?
McKercher would be clear number 1 imo, he is a high poss inside/outside mid who uses it well and kicks goals, no one in this draft pool has gone close to the quality of footy McKercher showed in his draft year.

McKercher would be clear number 1 imo, he is a high poss inside/outside mid who uses it well and kicks goals, no one in this draft pool has gone close to the quality of footy McKercher showed in his draft year.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

So we are definitely looking at a weaker top end of the draft this year vs previous years?

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

So we are definitely looking at a weaker top end of the draft this year vs previous years?
Yes because none of the potential elite players performed under pressure this year (or injury has ruined their season Hotton/FOS/Faull) which brings doubt and usually the elite players are players you are very confident will play 200 AFL games of good quality, if there are any minor doubts they go in the top tier grouping, at least that's how I separate them in rank, picking the superstars of the AFL is very difficult because it's more of a mental thing and the public don't get access to any psyche reports or character reports so it's more guess work.

Last edited:
Yes because none of the potential elite players performed under pressure this year, which brings doubt and usually the elite players are players you are very confident will play 200 games of good quality, if there are any minor doubts they go in the top tier grouping, at least that's how I separate them in rank.
I thought Murphy Reid was great in the champs (under a bit of pressure) and Langford was also consistent. But you’re right I think they pushed themselves into the top bracket of players this year rather than already being in the top bracket and setting themselves apart as elite comparable to a McKercher.

Rough 1st round Phantom Draft

1. Rich - Harry Armstrong - start the rebuild with an exciting KPF
2. NM - Josh Smillie - North have never had a big mid so he offers something unique, FOS and Faull considered
3. WCE - Finn O'Sullivan - best mid for a rebuilding aging injury riddled list
4. Bris - Levi Ashcroft - taking the FS here, small forw turned goal kicking mid (bid)
5. GCS - Leo Lombard - quality combative mid (bid)
6. Adel - Sid Draper - one of the premier mids in this draft pool
7. StK - Jagga Smith - accumulator mid
8. Freo - Sam Lalor - forw mid, strong mark and good kick at goal, x factor
9. Melb - Jonty Faull - another quality young KPF and I think the Dee's are in the market for a tall
10. Ess - Luke Trainor - intercept def will allow Redman to play more wing
11. Haw - Taj Hotton - take the gamble he comes back from the ACL playing amazing footy
12. Freo - Tobie Travaglia - adding to their intercepting defense
13. Geel - Harvey Langford - rebuilding their midfield
14. Carl - Ben Camporeale - FS Bid, adding a contested inside mid (bid)
15. GWS - Xavier Lindsay - outside inside mid
16. Ess - Isaac Kako - one of the premium small forwards (bid)
17. GCS - Jobe Shanahan - great hands for a marking KPF
18. Freo - Bo Allan - contested tall mid from WA
19. Syd - Harry O'Farrell - they are in need of a KPD and they get one of the best available
20. Syd - Joe Berry - one of the best small forwards in the draft pool with great flexibility with roles
21. GCS - Murphy Reid - clean midfielder that can kick goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back