Review Dees V Lions: the Bad, Fugly and Abominable

Remove this Banner Ad

Turner's averaging 9 disposals, < a tackle a game and < ½ a goal a game in the last 4. He's not a forward. He looks really poor aside from accurate kicking. Waste of a position
I'll take his 5 marks, 3 contested from last night ahead of a lot of other space occupiers. I like Disco's game.

I'll take his 5 marks, 3 contested from last night ahead of a lot of other space occupiers. I like Disco's game.
He's not a forward. Just another body down there based off his height

Pickett and van Rooyen aside, who else have we got to kick goals?
Don't say Petty, who can kick OOB with the best of them.
Turners kicked 3 in 4 games so he's not some magic answer.
It's a Goodwin thing to think you have to be 190cm plus to kick goals.
The answer is Chandler, McAdam, Rivers, Langdon, Fritsch etc it's a team effort. Not just a key forward having a once a season night out kicking 6

Dogs kicked 150 against freo without Naughton and Darcy. Its about moving the ball quickly to players in space not just hacking it out of contests and hoping your forwards take contested marks.

Pickett and van Rooyen aside, who else have we got to kick goals?
Don't say Petty, who can kick OOB with the best of them.
Inaccuracies really cost us the game in a close finish. Yeah, our last quarter fade outs are worrying, and it's a mix of too young and maybe not as fit as we once were, but we kick just a little straighter, we win. Really should have won this game. We can melt all we like about how few goals we kicked, but reality is 26 scoring shots is good. The first and last quarter misses were really costly. Petty terrible. That Langdon miss probably cost us the game. Was a sitter. So we can have our little tantrums about kicking just 11 goals, but 26 scoring shots is more than fine. We got the ball in enough and had enough shots. Conversion was poor.

Problem with Turner and Petty, JVR has this issue aswell is they have no forward craft. They don't lead to space, they don't have any ability once the ball hits the ground. JVR isn't in the game when it's not in the air either. Fritsch can sneak away from a contest get a handball and kick a snap because he has forward nous. The rest dont.

Inaccuracies really cost us the game in a close finish. Yeah, our last quarter fade outs are worrying, and it's a mix of too young and maybe not as fit as we once were, but we kick just a little straighter, we win. Really should have won this game. We can melt all we like about how few goals we kicked, but reality is 26 scoring shots is good. The first and last quarter misses were really costly. Petty terrible. That Langdon miss probably cost us the game. Was a sitter. So we can have our little tantrums about kicking just 11 goals, but 26 scoring shots is more than fine. We got the ball in enough and had enough shots. Conversion was poor.
It was but Brisbane missed some absolute sitters as well, probably more than us. It was fitness and parking the bus for mine that lost it in the end. We ran out of puff and went overly defensive.

It was but Brisbane missed some absolute sitters as well, probably more than us. It was fitness and parking the bus for mine that lost it in the end. We ran out of puff and went overly defensive.
Brisbane should have won by more. They kicked 20 points and messed up 3 joe the gooses and set alot of set shots dead infront. We were relying on kicks from the boundary and full ground sprints and snaps.

When you rely on pressure as perhaps your only scoring avenue youre ****ed. That second quarter was a fluke and it wont happen often. Dont get sucked in by it.
Yes, one out of four quarters isn't a trend, it's an outlier.
Reflects our whole year of being on the bad side of inconsistent

When you rely on pressure as perhaps your only scoring avenue youre ****ed. That second quarter was a fluke and it wont happen often. Dont get sucked in by it.
Brisbane kicked 25, 13, 24 and 24 Q1-4. They had a steady steam of shots on goal they were just inaccurate
We kicked 50 in Q2 and 30 points for the rest of the game. One quarter absolutely masked another shit house game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane kicked 25, 13, 24 and 24 Q1-4. They had a steady steam of shots on goal they were just inaccurate
We kicked 50 in Q2 and 30 points for the rest of the game. One quarter absolutely masked another shit house game
I don't think we were shithouse. We played with a lot of pressure and won a lot of clearances which was a big improvement over recent weeks. But it seems clear we are running an inexperienced team that is also not fit enough to run out games. The young guys in this game gave me hope that perhaps the cliff isn't as close as I thought - we ain't winning a flag soon, and probably miss finals the next couple of years, but there is some hope there.

Lions had like 8 or 9 rushed behinds. Yeah both teams had chances, but 26 scoring shots is fine. We only kicked a handful of goals outside of the 2nd quarter because if inaccurate kicking. We actually gave ourselves a genuine opportunity to win the game and should have been up by more.

Inaccuracies and the inability to run out games cost us. Can whine all we like about the defensive gameplan, but 26 shots on goal is good. Defence held up ok against a side at home that put up over 150pts last week. Midfield looked the best its been all season and our forwards had plenty of scoring opportunities.

I don't think we were shithouse. We played with a lot of pressure and won a lot of clearances which was a big improvement over recent weeks. But it seems clear we are running an inexperienced team that is also not fit enough to run out games. The young guys in this game gave me hope that perhaps the cliff isn't as close as I thought - we ain't winning a flag soon, and probably miss finals the next couple of years, but there is some hope there.
Lol. Who tf is saying we were s*house?? I thought we were pretty damn good for most of the game. We literally went up there with probably the most inexperienced line up we've had in years. Against a team red hot at home. McVee, Wakefield, Windsor, Brown, Tholstrup, Petty, Koz, Riv, JVR, Chandler, Sparrow, Woey and Turner all 24 or under. Half these guys have barely any experience. And blokes are saying we played s*house? Lol. A team with those guys just listed really should have knocked off a red hot Lions. Was a bloody good effort.

Lol. Who tf is saying we were s*house?? I thought we were pretty damn good for most of the game. We literally went up there with probably the most inexperienced line up we've had in years. Against a team red hot at home. McVee, Wakefield, Windsor, Brown, Tholstrup, Petty, Koz, Riv, JVR, Chandler, Sparrow, Woey and Turner all 24 or under. Half these guys have barely any experience. And blokes are saying we played s*house? Lol. A team with those guys just listed really should have knocked off a red hot Lions. Was a bloody good effort.
I forgot Chin played. Been invisible for weeks now.

Good point about Windsor Topkent , it's been sad seeing the dare get gradually sucked out of his game. Becoming Melbourne'd. Boring basic bitch. Just how Goody likes them.
Maybe he's tired, but he already looks nothing like the player early in the season he looks terrible rn to be honest.

I just loved Rivers game. This guy along with Koz are so enjoyable to watch. It's a crime it's taken Goody this long to play him in the midfield. We need more guys that take the game on (which is why I'm an advocate for McAdam back in the team).
Yep. Get McVee in their next. Watching him reminds me of the way Sheezel operates. He looks a natural mid to me. Riv too. Just looks a natural. I want Goofy gone, but at least he's playing the kids and trying some different things this season. Hasn't always worked but Riv to the midfield has to be a mainstay from here on.

Effort was great, doesnt mean we played well and its sustainable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back