Review Dees V Lions: the Bad, Fugly and Abominable

Remove this Banner Ad

The sad thing is imagine if start of the year they just kept Oliver out till he did a mini pre season and had Rivers in the middle instead. That is what a strong and innovative club would do.
Couldn't be more spot on. Instead we just tried the only bash ya head against a brick wall over and over

Less than a goal from rolling Lions at the Gabbatoir seems like they did something right? What did they do that you can work with? Any youth that stood up? Any mature players that led the way?

PS. Youse were robbed.

The teams in a decline, you don't judge the youth until the clubs on their shoulders not being carried by the seniors. Tigers went from thinking they'd play finals to being bottom 2 because the youth is carrying them now

We are a mile off it and it's getting worse before it gets better

There isn’t another club outside the bottom 4 who would have a 15 point 3/4 lead and decide the MOST LIKELY way to win the game is flood numbers back and try and kick a solitary goal for the quarter.

The majority of the game showed that young players with a bit of dash like AMW, Woey, McVee, Rivers will take us a lot further than the likes of Salem plodding around.

But it’s a disgrace that I was literally able to predict to my family at 3/4 that we’d flood numbers back and try to hold the lead, and end up losing as a result. So predictable and idiotic.

And not taking off Petty and getting Brown on was simply moronic.

Stop being a pussy with the sub goody FFS... Just because you called the sub right before someone got injured earlier in the year and now your too scared to pull the trigger in the 3rd. You could see we needed the legs.
This is so correct, Bowey injury against Sydney in opening round just after he subbed Billings in has him spooked. We weren't winning that game anyway, being a man down had nothing to do with the loss. What a weirdo.

Reading this thread many are complaining of actually how well you did! Yesterday people thought youd lose by 100! Last night you very nearly won! Steven May was robbed of a mark that would have seen him drive the ball into your forward 50. Instead he was denied the make and 10 seconds later Brisbane scored a match winner. Fks me.
Well said mate. Unfortunately there are a few on here who love to b* and moan about the club at every opportunity and actually want us to lose which is pathetic. But hey, every club has them i guess.

Agreed that to get within a goal when we all could see a 100pt belting ahead of us was a great effort. Really positive effort last night and 26 scoring shots and pretty much equal F50 entries shows we had our chances. Faded badly like a young side do(did it last week as well with more kids than Norf) and poor conversion was costly. Overall if you're unhappy with that performance then you're clearly just an unhappy campaigner. Besides the win, couldn't ask for anymore than that

Sending petty back out with his ****ed foot and keeping brown on the pine until the last 3mins has just broken me. Get this ****ing DH coach out of the club now
Was unbelievable tbh. Even Neeld would have made that sub call. Goofy needs to go, and take that clown Stafford with you.

I liked Tholstrups game too, absolute energiser bunny. Nothing about him screams star but think he could be a good role player and fan favourite with how he plays.
Nah mate. All doom and gloom. Nothing positive to take from the game lol

Tholstrup has surprised me last two weeks. Really positive vibes around this campaigner now. Bit of lip too. Clearly likes to antagonise which we need tbh. Just looks half a step off the pace, but once that comes, he'll be a handful across that half forward line i reckon. Maybe a Beau McCreery type?

I take issue with goodwin including the young players in the after match presser . I think it was some of the senior players that shit their pants late on . Lever with his attempted candy turn that resulted in a holding the ball , ANB with his rugby style try on the boundary .Fritch burning a 2 on one in the goal square to have a shot , etc . This loss in on you goodwin.

I take issue with goodwin including the young players in the after match presser . I think it was some of the senior players that shit their pants late on . Lever with his attempted candy turn that resulted in a holding the ball , ANB with his rugby style try on the boundary .Fritch burning a 2 on one in the goal square to have a shot , etc . This loss in on you goodwin.
Goofy didn't make those mistakes. The ANB one was truly horrible. That Langdon miss 25 out with no pressure was also truly horrible. Not subbing At 3/4 time was something he should have done. Really bizarre last two weeks with him not using the sub until far too late. That's on Goodwin. Senior players making bizarre and stupid choices is on the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said mate. Unfortunately there are a few on here who love to b* and moan about the club at every opportunity and actually want us to lose which is pathetic. But hey, every club has them i guess.

Agreed that to get within a goal when we all could see a 100pt belting ahead of us was a great effort. Really positive effort last night and 26 scoring shots and pretty much equal F50 entries shows we had our chances. Faded badly like a young side do(did it last week as well with more kids than Norf) and poor conversion was costly. Overall if you're unhappy with that performance then you're clearly just an unhappy campaigner. Besides the win, couldn't ask for anymore than that

Each to their own but you’d be in the minority of Dees fans who feel that blowing a lead against the 11th placed team is a good effort just because you expected us to lose by 100.

Everybody is pleased some kids played well, doesn’t change the fact we make the same old mistakes that have seen us go from dominant premiership side to battlers over and over again.

I enjoyed the game, but seeing us perform like that without Petracca and knowing we phoned it in against teams like the West Coast and fell asleep against Carlton, wasting a brilliant performance by Kozzie, Harrison Petty spudding it up, experiments like Rivers in the middle paying off, and not using the sub when we're completely gassed take the shine off.

But kudos to the players, most of them put in a nice shift.

Each to their own but you’d be in the minority of Dees fans who feel that blowing a lead against the 11th placed team is a good effort just because you expected us to lose by 100.

Everybody is pleased some kids played well, doesn’t change the fact we make the same old mistakes that have seen us go from dominant premiership side to battlers over and over again.
11th place. Cmon mate. Lions are a top 4 team and have been the 2nd best team last 6 weeks.

It's not mistakes that's making us battlers now. It's our list. It's nowhere near good enough. With the team we had last night was a damn good effort.

Maybe we're just not fit enough but going with the park the bus strategy in the last quarter after how badly it went last week is infuriating. There were positives and we played the best footy we have in a long time in the second quarter but it's hard to be buoyed by such a meek, cowardly attempt to save a game that was there for the taking.

11th place. Cmon mate. Lions are a top 4 team and have been the 2nd best team last 6 weeks.

It's not mistakes that's making us battlers now. It's our list. It's nowhere near good enough. With the team we had last night was a damn good effort.

Can’t agree with blaming the list at all. We’re short a gun key forward and Trac is out, but we were hardly North Melbourne out there last night. There are plenty of good coaches who would have this team firing with the weapons we’ve still got around the ground.

I’m not knocking the effort last night mate, I’m incredibly frustrated that Goodwin has turned this team into - among other things - a perennial loser of close games and a side that hands up its advantages and lets teams come at us.

Think it’s very legitimate for fans to feel that way after the last two and half seasons.

So has anyone in the media called out the sub decision as yet? I don't watch footy tv.

Also curious if any other team as conservative with the sub as we are. Must be afraid that Petty will cry if we sub him early?

Can’t agree with blaming the list at all. We’re short a gun key forward and Trac is out, but we were hardly North Melbourne out there last night. There are plenty of good coaches who would have this team firing with the weapons we’ve still got around the ground.

I’m not knocking the effort last night mate, I’m incredibly frustrated that Goodwin has turned this team into - among other things - a perennial loser of close games and a side that hands up its advantages and lets teams come at us.

Think it’s very legitimate for fans to feel that way after the last two and half seasons.
Totally agree. We have a good enough list. We have a coach who picks favourites at the selection table, has an outdated game plan, and has a poor and inflexible game day strategy.

Get the right coach, the list will flourish.

I genuinely think we have the worst coach in the AFL? Port fans probably disagree. Lions used their sub halfway through the third and ran all over us. We use ours with 3 minutes to go. Like many here, could and did predict the last quarter.

Coach and seniors let us down. May had that turnover kicking out of goal, ANB obvious blunder, Petty, Fritsch and Langdon all missed too many shots. Sigh.

I get the last two and a half seasons. But last couple of weeks is now a very different team. Lions on paper looked so much better than ours. Thought it was an impressive effort last night. Very inexperienced team. What was disappointing was costly errors by senior players. ANB, Langdon, Petty, Lever all made crucial errors at important moments. This list is now a bottom 8 list. I don't think last night is the night to be too critical.

Totally agree. We have a good enough list. We have a coach who picks favourites at the selection table, has an outdated game plan, and has a poor and inflexible game day strategy.

Get the right coach, the list will flourish.
You honestly think we have a list good enough to compete for a flag this year? Wowee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back