Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the credits Goody has earned for his coaching this season, the fact we have lost soooo many games the same way (dominate inside 50s but get no reward for long bombs to packs) in the last couple of years makes me so angry. FMD.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just read that is the first time ever a team has lost a final with 30+ more inside 50s

The most frustrating game I've ever watched. 69-37 inside 50s, we ******* smashed them for most of the game, but couldn't find a target inside 50 to save our lives, and even when we did our set-shot kicking was gash. Can't fault the effort, but Jesus Christ that was some dumb football.
Not sure we were trying to find targets for the most part it was just a bomb it inside 50 and lock it in strategy, which i thought we gave up 2 months ago, great time to roll it out again. so frustrated with the tactics tonight. the worst part is ending up close which somewhat validates the tactics. yet probably should've won if not for our immense wastefulness in front of goals again.

Both were crap. Just trying to get around this boring narrative that Tmac was our only bad forward. First game in 3 months or so JVR is gonna miss for a stupid elbow. Completely went to water under the lights
I am agreeing with you, both where bad. I however expect more from an 'experienced' player, than an inexperienced player in his first big final. If JVR has a stinker in a decade's time i'll say the same about him then. He wasn't good tonight though yes.

My gripe also is more with the selection decisions... which is what i was doing 12 months ago

I am agreeing with you, both where bad. I however expect more from an 'experienced' player, than an inexperienced player in his first big final. If JVR has a stinker in a decade's time i'll say the same about him then. He wasn't good tonight though yes.

My gripe also is more with the selection decisions... which is what i was doing 12 months ago
And inside 50's for the last 7 - 8 years

It's not McDonald's fault. Blame the midfielders who kicked it long and high to the same place 70 times in a row, and the crumbing forwards who were invisible on the rare occasions the kpfs managed to halve a contest.

Good:

• Gawn almost single-handedly lifting us of the canvas again.
  • Thought Oliver played his best game since returning from injury.
  • Backline held up well after the first quarter. Thought Bowie, Riv, McVee and Hibberd were all excellent.
  • Kozzie worked hard, but was just one of those nights where nothing quite worked out, including for him.

Bad:

- We're not going to win a final with this forward line. I'm not sure what the answer is, but we have to do something a bit different. At the very least switch Laurie out for Spargo, who at least knows how to hit a target inside 50.

Ugly:

- Gus's injury. I hope he pulls up okay, but I'm really fearful for his future given his history. **** you, Maynard. I'd tell you to enjoy your holiday, but we all know you're going to get your 2-week ban overturned on the second appeal.

If the AFL ever change the rules to where you score a point for every inside 50 we'll be a dynasty.

Cant believe you strung us along all year with ruthless changes only to revert back to 2022 when it mattered most Simo.

You dont win flags by playing scared and trying to turn every game into a 50/50. A gameplan revolving around territory with kicks to pockets is so dumb, like trying to bludgeon an opposition to death with a feather duster.

It's not McDonald's fault. Blame the midfielders who kicked it long and high to the same place 70 times in a row, and the crumbing forwards who were invisible on the rare occasions the kpfs managed to halve a contest.

Good:

• Gawn almost single-handedly lifting us of the canvas again.
  • Thought Oliver played his best game since returning from injury.
  • Backline held up well after the first quarter. Thought Bowie, Riv, McVee and Hibberd were all excellent.
  • Kozzie worked hard, but was just one of those nights where nothing quite worked out, including for him.

Bad:

- We're not going to win a final with this forward line. I'm not sure what the answer is, but we have to do something a bit different. At the very least switch Laurie out for Spargo, who at least knows how to hit a target inside 50.

Ugly:

- Gus's injury. I hope he pulls up okay, but I'm really fearful for his future given his history. * you, Maynard. I'd tell you to enjoy your holiday, but we all know you're going to get your 2-week ban overturned on the second appeal.
Thing is when we lowered the eyes we'd pick out their defenders every time too, we couldn't get it right. There was no space in our 50 and we can;t kick goals from outside 50 ...

If the AFL ever change the rules to where you score a point for every inside 50 we'll be a dynasty.

Cant believe you strung us along all year with ruthless changes only to revert back to 2022 when it mattered most Simo.

You dont win flags by playing scared and trying to turn every game into a 50/50. A gameplan revolving around territory with kicks to pockets is so dumb, like trying to bludgeon an opposition to death with a feather duster.
Collingwood completely gave up in the last and rolled over, if we just cleared the forward line and ran the ball through the middle more we could have kicked 7-8 goals easily. Instead we made it as easy to defend as possible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood completely gave up in the last and rolled over, if we just cleared the forward line and ran the ball through the middle more we could have kicked 7-8 goals easily. Instead we made it as easy to defend as possible
As above, we can;t kick from outside 50, so they just clogged it up and depended on us fluffing it every time we actually managed to get our hands on it in f50 ... and we didn;t disappoint

this, and i could almost live with the grinding play, if the plan was to tire them out and then open the game up and take risks (which to be fair would be dangerous to do when they were fresh)

Btw you're an absolute ******* if you think Maynard deserves weeks, guaranteed the same people would have defended JVRs spoil against GC.

It was an accident, don't even know how it knocked him out
Nah, there's a reason why Fritta missed cleaning up the Pies def in the last QTR, it;s because you can make an effort in the air not to make contact. They can argue he had no choice because he was in the air, but it's garbage. You can always position yourself better not to shoulder someone in the head

I got sucked in once again.

Here I was thinking we could actually contend this year and beat the pies with our system. How wrong was I.

•Tmac can retire after tonight.

•Trade Salem for peanuts. Fed up with his soft efforts. Someone tell me what he's adding to our team?

•Starting to think Oliver is the most overyped midfielder in the game. Absolute ball butcher and just continually bombs away with zero awareness.

•Forward line ****ing sucks big time.

•Kozzie is the most ill disciplined player in the comp. Started well then turned to Absolute crud. Let Quaynor take too many easy marks while he stood back and watched.

So ****ing disappointing. The thought now of 2 years in a row of straight exits is just a dagger to the heart. Our reputation as finals chokers is creeping up now.

Pisses me off that it took til late in the third to say we should try and play on a bit more. I thought May and Gawn tried throughout the game to do some risky attacking with disposal back thru the corridor, the rest of the guys either butcher it or telegraph the shit out of it.

Only positive I've got is Max Gawn. Enormous effort. True legend of the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back