Review Dees v the Scully-ites of GWS: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

To your second question - yes.
Let's drop the guy who is 10th in the Coleman for lack of defensive pressure in a team that struggles to kick a score. Just brilliant.

Let's drop the guy who is 10th in the Coleman for lack of defensive pressure in a team that struggles to kick a score. Just brilliant.
What was brilliant, was forward pressure in the first quarter and a bit. A concerted effort by all the forwards, even Fritsch put some pressure on. Such concerted efforts do not last when you have one player who decides to take a holiday. The idea is that you do what it takes to make Fritsch a better player and Melbourne a better team.

Glad I didn’t watch but that was classic dees, 35 points in the first quarter, barely kick a goal for the next two, then when the game is done we ‘come back’ only to lose in heartbreaking fashion like that.

This team hates it’s supporters.
The consolation prize is that the Giants were great to watch.

What was brilliant, was forward pressure in the first quarter and a bit. A concerted effort by all the forwards, even Fritsch put some pressure on. Such concerted efforts do not last when you have one player who decides to take a holiday. The idea is that you do what it takes to make Fritsch a better player and Melbourne a better team.
He's who he is by now, dropping him won't make any difference other than pissing him off and him wanting out, other clubs would be lining up for him.

Get a system that doesnt rely solely on pressure to score and utilise his strengths rather than highlighting his weaknesses.

He's who he is by now, dropping him won't make any difference other than pissing him off and him wanting out, other clubs would be lining up for him.

Get a system that doesnt rely solely on pressure to score and utilise his strengths rather than highlighting his weaknesses.
Bit like the idiots who wanted Watts to be a contested disposals player.
Fristch isn't a physical player but you'd shit yourself as a defender one on one with him and space he can get you in everyway

Pretty typical loss in the end after a hot start. GWS found another gear and we dropped one trying to protect a lead.
Petty had a bit of campaigner about him which was nice to see.
Bowey becoming a liability. Nit damaging with the ball and exposed defensively too often.
Midfield poor to gift the Giants all the momentum to start the last. Turner as sub was a poor choice, needed extra run late nit another tall but glad Laurie and Woey got full games. They were ok. AMW had some good moments too, settled at the level pretty well.

Learnings from Goody's press conference: Still obsessed with contest defense and things looking a Melbourne game (cant wait for more of this in 2025) , 0-8 centre bounce clearances in the final quarter, Oliver is a Melbourne man and will be here for a long time.

Could you get a bleaker outlook?

It’s just totally got me beat why the club are willing to watch on as Goodwin insists that a game style which is totally out of date in 2024 and has failed for 3 years is suddenly going to work if we just persist.

Never seen a club that is screaming out more for a change of coach.

Good players are playing totally without confidence including our entire forward line. We play our best young forward as a back up ruck. It’s mind-boggling stuff that we all know is going to keep happening because Goodwin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s just totally got me beat why the club are willing to watch on as Goodwin insists that a game style which is totally out of date in 2024 and has failed for 3 years is suddenly going to work if we just persist.

Never seen a club that is screaming out more for a change of coach.

Good players are playing totally without confidence including our entire forward line. We play our best young forward as a back up ruck. It’s mind-boggling stuff that we all know is going to keep happening because Goodwin.
Mate you know how many expected premierships we've won? Pull your head in

Pull your heads in you lot!

The satisfied with one flag and we should be grateful mentality is a far bigger problem than the viel of negativity.

Im sure there is some sort of variation of Stockholm syndrome in there

It’s quite something that everyone at the club has collectively forgotten that we won a flag in 2021 by being a dynamic attacking team, not just by building a defensive wall. Then Geelong and Collingwood won flags by being ultra attacking.

The collective pretence that 2021 was all about defence is a massive coping mechanism for our failure to maintain a functional forward line.

i talked to my dad this morning and he said he watched the game last night. he couldn't remember the name of that 'funny looking blonde midfielder' we had, and i said who Oliver, and he goes 'yeah that's the one, he's ****ing useless, he doesn't run or chase' lol.

Simple fact is we don’t have the cattle anymore. Kidding ourselves if we think we can trade in one or 2 players and turn this around.

3 trade periods of hell and this is what happens, we need to just reset the list now for any chance of challenging again.

Simple fact is we don’t have the cattle anymore. Kidding ourselves if we think we can trade in one or 2 players and turn this around.

3 trade periods of hell and this is what happens, we need to just reset the list now for any chance of challenging again.
I didn't really agree with this, but after seeing pretty much our entire list out there last night (bar Trac), I am finding myself agreeing a little bit more.

Our midfield is looking incredibly average: Viney - not sure where he's at, perhaps looking at a gradual decline? Oliver I have zero belief he can return to anywhere near his best (or actually improve given his disposal has always been iffy), Sparrow? I actually thought he would make big steps this year, but he's fallen off a cliff. The rest? Pretty much all robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Having the likes of Rivers and Kosi come through there just damages us at either end.
And while I'm sure Gawn will get back to winning the majority of hitouts and clogging defensive holes, we don't win anywhere near the amount of clearances we should given his dominance, and its clear Goodwin will never play 2 genuine ruckman in the same team as long as he's coach - so zero offensive threat.

Our backline is our strongest line, but even they can't help but get overwhelmed when our mids just disappear (ie last quarter last night), and what we ask weekly of the likes of May and Lever are certainly shortening their careers.

Out forward line is just as dysfunctional as our mids, with zero cohesion or leading patterns being present. This hasn't changed for at least 4 years. The fact we are crossing our fingers and hoping that a defender that averages 0.3 per game (both career, and this year alone!) in Petty turns into a forward when the clock strikes midnight says pretty much everything there is to be said. Rooyen has all the potential in the world, but a combination of steel hands and again zero forward structure or cohesion with the mids means he's absolutely stagnating.
Obviously Kosi is a weapon, and Fritsch can do his individual thing, but he in particular seems almost resigned to no plan of entry, and just does his own thing (which means we see the flip side where he looks 100% disinterested like last night on occasions).

Outside of that, we seem to have a glut of bog average smaller guys who just aren't up to it.

Then there's our recent recruits. The less said, the better. Whatever the opposite of a destination club for good free agents is, that's us. We attract claggers and worse.

I think we're seeing just how poor we are without the input of Trac, a fading Gawn and Viney, and a increasingly banged up last line of defence.

I think we're in for darker days in the next few years.

How good was Harrison Petty tho?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v the Scully-ites of GWS: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back