Autopsy Doggies Woof all over Cats by 47 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a thing for bringing in Stanley too. If all of Blicavs, Neale and SDK get injured then maybe.
He's cooked and like Bews and Parfitt should not feature for Geelong at senior level again.
Got a thing for bringing in Stanley too. If all of Blicavs, Neale and SDK get injured then maybe.
He's cooked and like Bews and Parfitt should not feature for Geelong at senior level again.

No i have a thing for not watching poor kolo and henry be outsized against giants (gee against sam darcy not like that was forseeable on monday).

I dont rate stanley never really have.
But he should have played tonight.
If they are adamant he is cooked then neale should have played as the ruckman.
But either way sdk not at fullback was a fail. He tried hard but tactically it was dumb.

Also, I’ll claim the easiest meat tray ever very early for next week:

In: Neale, Bruhn
Out: Knevitt, Parfitt.

Atkins?

I'm thinking O. Henry could be the one to make way for Neale, unless they decide to manage Rohan for the match

Who are you dropping then?
I agree Henry needs games but I would look at him on the wing. We played Knevitt there all night. Play Ollie there instead and get him involved. He can sneak forward too. Getting his hands on the footy a bit in the chain will help him.

Surely you drop Henry before Rohan.

Agree with earlier poster that it is time to give O Henry a different role.or time in the VFL. Just needs a change
We need to give him senior level minutes I think though, don't think he'll get that much out of the 2s.

He may not be a very good wing, but playing him there will make him a better forward next year

Option 1: Play Hawkins, Neale and Cameron.

Option 2: Play Cameron, Henry and Rohan.

I guarantee 100% of people on here would vote Option 1 as the one to play 'Bomb long to a contest'. Playing the 2nd option and kicking it Khamis, English and Lobb all night was truly maddening.
Yep. The MC had a mare…

I would have understood option 2 if we backed ourselves to play the uncontested and overlap method we have been (and the one the bulldogs did in the same conditions even though they have height advantage!!).

But if we were going to play the bomb it game then taking Neale out was wrong. I said early that I thought we were spooked by the conditions. Firstly last minute decision on Neale and then not trusting the handball game which gets the ball in the hands of the good users going forward.

I get the criticism of forwards playing behind but that is actually our normal game (starting postion) plan as we run the ball looking to draw players and go overtop or leave space for forwards to run from behind into front as our good ball users run with it.

Our forwards were often shocked that a bomb kick came out and fell short…I agree they didn’t adjust quick enough but I just didnt get the entries….only explained to me that the forward entries were not by the normal users.

Knevitt needs to be delisted. Move him on.

Contracted thru to 2025

He was showing good signs last year until he was questionably omitted following his match against the Bulldogs - a game which he stood up when we were missing a number of our best midfielders

I'd give him another run next week against North - see how he responds from tonight

Well with Bruhn and Hardie leading the disposal count from midfield in the VFL, surely we fit them both into a failing midfield next week, right? Right? Right.

Stanley was pretty dominant too, I assume we back SDK in but wonder if he gets a reprieve. SDK is doing the job around the ground but every week is getting smashed in the hit outs besides tonight, but even then there was a difference in quality between their hit outs to advantage and ours.

Feel sorry for Knevitt and Parfitt, came into a team that was abjectly awful but then Knevitt played nearly 70% of the game so he can't really complain about not getting a fair go. Parfitt only got 40% game time which was 2nd lowest.

Assume Bruhn and Atkins come back in for Knevitt and Parfitt, hopefully Neale comes in for Henry at FF and then Henry is back as the sub.

Hopefully the MC aren't afraid to make some changes this week just to show that this sort of trash, insipid, lackluster performance is absolutely unacceptable.

Either way insanely dumb going into a game with one KPF in Cameron. When he got locked down there was no other targets. At least with Neale in the team it means Cameron could go up the field to shake the lockdown defending on him.

Feel like the MC tried to get too clever with selections after seeing the weather report.

Hell I would be happy next week having SDK in the Blicavs "roaming tall" role, bring Stanley back in to ruck and push Blicavs into defence. SDK has been a better mid the last month than Blicavs, Blicavs hasn't really been good in midfield this season and as we saw tonight we were too short in defence.

Or maybe try SDK up forward with Cameron.

Either way, Norths midfield next week are going to rack up possessions and if we don't have a capable tall defender Larkey will kick a bag.

You'd hope so, but there seemed to be little sense of 'team' out there tonight.

That's why I think something coming from the "lesser likes" would be more telling than just hearing it from the captain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JC running by Blicavs to kick a 🍌 from the pocket perfectly summed up our night.

JC should start winning his own footy instead of scabbing off the players who did. OK fine, the dish-off works if he's running onto his left, past the man on the mark, receiving from a teammate not renowned for long set shots from 50. But Blitz in the better forward pocket for a right-footer 30m out? Nah. Just let him take the shot.

Listening to Krock on the way home, thinking it wouldn't be surprising to see Holmes managed/rested next week against North - they mentioned that he spent the last 10 minutes of the match on the bench, getting something worked on & looked a bit ginger in the rooms

If there's any issue, surely we don't put him on a plane and leave him at home instead - that also opens up two spots in the midfield for Bruhn & Atkins, assuming that Parfitt is omitted, and they want to continue playing Bowes in defence like they did tonight

Feel like the MC tried to get too clever with selections after seeing the weather report.

Looks Familiar Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

JC should start winning his own footy instead of scabbing off the players who did. OK fine, the dish-off works if he's running onto his left, past the man on the mark, receiving from a teammate not renowned for long set shots from 50. But Blitz in the better forward pocket for a right-footer 30m out? Nah. Just let him take the shot.

He did the similar to Neale against the Hawks, after Neale won a free kick (don't think it was a mark), about 45m out and Cameron ran behind for the off-load & shot on goal which he missed - would much rather he show support for & confidence in his young teammate, and encourage the set shot be taken

He's been looking for a few cheapies over recent weeks, and not always happy when he's not on the receiving end

Not sure if there is where it's Scott, another coach who he works closely with or maybe even Hawkins, to pull him aside to have a chat with him - a reminder that while he's a key player in our forward line & best team, that there's times he needs to step back and realise it's not always going to be "Jezza Time"

A Night Best to Forget

Just took my seat, was told Atkins Neale were out.
Parfitt and Clohesy = Cats were in for a hard night.
Dogs started hard and fast, first to every contest.
Cats seemed rushed, fumbled and panicked a little.
Every rushed clearance fell to Dog's advantage.
Though the luck would balance out eventually.
Dogs bigger bodies outmuscled the young Cats.
Though Cats needed to use the ball better
Instead Cats kicked backward and sideways
Surely Cats will return breathing fire in 2nd half

Cats played long and direct gaining momentum.
It didn't last due to dumb unpressured turnovers.
Unfortunately things only got worse and worse
Cats lacked effort, lost structure and cohesion.
Dogs smelt victory and lifted, winning contested
Cats became hesitant, cautious and capitulated.

Cold, Gutted, Had enough, left at 20 min mark.
Cursed and blamed Scott for this dumb loss
Make dumb decision, Players play dumb footy
Cats missed a tall marking forward... Neale
Was Parfitt on the field? he seemed invisible.
Clohesy moved alright, wish he was sub sooner
Too much left to too few... A night best to forget.

Not necessarily the weather report but rather just watching the VFL match and how that played out - that was a contested slog, and the dominant players were predominantly not just sub 190cm but sub 185cm

Only 4 players took more than 5 marks in that match, it became a slog that was more about territory than anything - so wouldn't be surprised if the coaches read a bit more into that expecting similar for the seniors

We then failed to adapt and not just to the conditions but also to our line up - just not playing to our strengths, while repeatedly taking the same approach which wasn't working

So 6 of our top 10 possession winners had less than 50% efficiency for the game. Can’t win when that happens. Those 6 all had very high kick to handball % which means (when poor disposal) no overlap or run to open up for good kickers into F50.

Stewart (50% Eff, 22 kicks 4 HB)
Holmes (30%, 15k 8HB)
2E (45% 15k 5HB)
Mannagh (42% 15k 4HB)
Bowes (50%. 15k 3HB)
Danger (35%. 13k 4HB)

For the Dogs top 10 possession winners only 1 player (JUH) had 50% efficiency (and most had higher handball %)

We can blame Miers, Knevitt, Dempsey, Close etc for not getting involved and Jezza, Henry, Rohan for poor forward work but the stats show that our main ball winners going forward butchered it.

Fine that they get credit for trying (Mannagh Stewart in particular) but when your ball winners are bombing or not getting it to open players (and there were players working hard tonight to get free) then we can’t win

With those stats we were lucky to be in it for as long as we were

EDIT

As a team we had 12 more turnovers and 14 less intercepts reflecting a disposal efficiency 15% worse (55% vs 65%) - that is the game

Not necessarily the weather report but rather just watching the VFL match and how that played out - that was a contested slog, and the dominant players were predominantly not just sub 190cm but sub 185cm

Only 4 players took more than 5 marks in that match, it became a slog that was more about territory than anything - so wouldn't be surprised if the coaches read a bit more into that expecting similar for the seniors

We then failed to adapt and not just to the conditions but also to our line up - just not playing to our strengths, while repeatedly taking the same approach which wasn't working
Yeah before the game (watching VFL) I understood the go small to contested ground ball players move….but as you say it didn’t fit with the bomb it long strategy (which hasn’t worked for us all year tbh).

Too cute by half. I think it was a bit of an aberration and we can look forward to a response next week.
I think we can - but if we do we will be none the wiser in terms of where we are at (of course if we don’t respond we will know exactly where we are at!!)

My ladder predictor still has us getting 3rd (although of course I could have all the other teams wrong!) despite tonight. If that pans out we will be a very nervous top 4 team given we would have beaten 4 of the bottom 5 teams going into finals!

I made the trip from Melbourne down to the game, crikey it was cold down at Geelong. The Cats were off right from the start and leaving out Neale confounded me. The stoppages/clearance stats might have looked even but in reality the Dogs were all over us, they got good clearances, ours were rushed and desperate. The Dogs were composed and always had players ready to receive a handball or a kick along the flanks. Their bigger bodied forwards monstered our medium sized defenders. Treloar's output alone matched our entire midfield but he wasn't alone, Bontempelli also dominant in there with 18 contested possessions! It was really a case of men against boys such was the difference in class and strength. Dangerfield was ineffective and the Ollies had shockers. Miers, Stengle and Close never had a chance due to the ball being bombed in and Geelong lacking big forwards to halve contests and bring the ball to ground. We need to find a couple of midfielders in a hurry or we will be cannon fodder come finals.

Good night for me to have a family commitment preventing me from watching the game.

Bit stunned by how low we’re Dempsey’s stats (took a peek at half time and thought he must have been injured!). Was he tagged? (Cats have heavily relied on him for transition so it would have been smart move by Bevo). Good to see Ted had an impact when subbed on - how was his speed (my main question on him), did it look okay for AFL level?

Might be some basis for observations that the MC did insufficient planning for the game - I believe Lobb has been a much better player from recent switch to defence. Looks like we needed another tall forward to compete and allow Cameron to roam.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Doggies Woof all over Cats by 47 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back