Review Good/Bad v Brisbane, Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

The first option backwards handball is taking quite a while for Brad Crouch to shake from his game.
he's still playing BeforePhilWalsh footy... and it's forced the whole midfield unit to adjust.
We need to get back to the slick attacking fast hands footy which gets a man free ahead of the contest.
Brad has got to click quick before it derails us any further.

Yeah was a very job done move on kind of win.

Good:

Greenwood - That was a fantastic debut.
Galluici - Had some very nice moments, that gut run in the 4th for his goal being a highlight.
Mrouch - Building a very nice season
Sloane - Finally showed something against the tag
Cameron - Third quarter was probably what he needed to reset his season a bit, his last two weeks hasn't been flash.
No Mackay
Lever was good.
Milera's first quarter. Must have hit a tree or something when we were on the downhill ski.

Bad:
Our first quarters. Almost at the point that we have to start a loose man in defence.
Atkins had a mare.

Ugly: Hampton and Smith potentially picking up injuries may get Mackay in next week. :(

How 2 brothers can get a lot of disposal and the feeling is meh

Both true. Matt played very well. Just concerned that both he and Brad had more handballs than kicks, nearly 1-2. The only other player to come close to a 1-2 ratio was Talia and I can accept that from a defender. So a lot of Matts 12 kicks were lace out. Would hope so.

Now this all may well be for nothing as I don't know what direction the coaches are giving but , given the other players ratios, I wonder. It wasnt as if I felt they were terrible, just a feeling of indifference over the brothers combined outputs.

Should we be concerned about these blokes too??
I think you're reading way too much into those stats personally.

Dangerfield had 13 kicks and 23 handballs
Josh Kennedy 12 kicks 23 handballs
Mitch Wallis 8 kicks 18 handballs
Luke Dalhaus 8 kicks 15 handballs
Jackson Macrae 7 kicks 16 handballs

Strange statement too re Talia and a KPD, surely you can see an inside mid plays in a far more contested and congested position than a KPD?

80 point win is 80 point win.

I'm not sure if it is the style of footy we play but it always looks like we never dominate a game but just seem to score very heavily when we are on.

Positives this week

We can bring in new players and not just back experience in, we are starting to get to 50 games in quite a few younger players, time to bring others in.
Kicking for goal in first three quarters was pretty good.
Hampton being in the game
Sloane finally working through a tag
Greenwood

Negatives

We don't look switched on in the first quarter. Look at the Swans yesterday and their body language was boss, we need to learn from that. There is a fine line between being physical and being stupid and they were really good at it, we need to do this against teams contending with us, put them on the back foot early and we can start blowing teams away.

Tony Shaw commentating. Did someone ring in sick FFS? Maybe next we can have Billy Brownless commentate a match ( though that might get funny by the third quarter when he starts lamenting lost loves and blokes touching other blokes wallets).

Greenwood played a lot of midfield for a debutant, I thought. And he'll play more now.

Should have been in there from the get go. Not a little stint in the last when the game was done and dusted and everyone was cooked.

He brings something to our midfield that we lack so badly, and yet we refused to use him still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lever and MCrouch should be in the good

Lever is our most important defender.

I am far from Crouch biggest fan, but i thought last night was one of his beter games. A lot more kicking with penetration.

Talia and Hartigan have been putrid for most of this year.

Talia's PS form was complete wank and Hartigan started the year off well and has dropped off a bit.

They are dropping easy marks and are fumbling so much at the moment which is putting everyone under double the amount of pressure and we are conceding the worst goals.

It's a real concern that Lever comes in and is considerably better than both of these blokes at the moment. They need to seriously lift their form in the 2nd half of the year.

Should we be concerned about these blokes too??
I think you're reading way too much into those stats personally.

Dangerfield had 13 kicks and 23 handballs
Josh Kennedy 12 kicks 23 handballs
Mitch Wallis 8 kicks 18 handballs
Luke Dalhaus 8 kicks 15 handballs
Jackson Macrae 7 kicks 16 handballs

Strange statement too re Talia and a KPD, surely you can see an inside mid plays in a far more contested and congested position than a KPD?
I wish I could see the stats as to who the handball went to and what was next disposal type.

Sat in the members at the Gabba. Reckon there were more Crows supporters than Lions. Cracking night for it. Had a kick on the oval after the game, was very dewy and the grass seemed a bit long.

Just loved the composure of my boy Hugh. Really looked like he belonged out there. Was probably a good game for him and Gooch to debut in. There will be more pressure next week, but at least they have had a taste.

Charlies 3rd quarter was ridiculous!! We were goings bonkers after that run, then the grab:D

Thought it was a bit of a "meh"win. All played their part at stages. Did notice, watching the boys live, compared to on TV, it sometimes seems they burn their team mates and dont give it to the best option.

Anyway, 4 points is 4 points. Now onto Freo!!

Mate, it'd probably be better for all concerned - and especially you - if you just stopped following a club you clearly get no pleasure from and just ****** off.

I genuinely don't understand how you can't be reasonably positive about a season where we're 7 and 2, and have beaten two of the other top four contenders in GWS and Port.

I thought Mike Smyth made a very good point. Hardly one that deserved such an aggressive over reaction.

There are some overly sensitive posters in the last few weeks who think it is their duty to defend the honour of the club. That's fine but these same posters should look back at last finals series and how that ended up.

I think it is absolutely reasonable to be asking questions about the teams ability to play well in finals. The first quarter of the North Melbourne game demands that people ask these questions. Without being told to ****** off!

I missed the game last night, so catching up qtr by qtr now. Here are some of my musings:

1. We lacked poise, looked frantic , kicks often rushed and always to a contest through the middle. Looked like there wasn't enough people spreading and working off the ball.
  2. Forwards looked like they we're playing behind, Tex wasn't presenting well.
  3. Ottens hands, needed to take those marks, offence grinded to a halt.
  4. Ball rebounded out of our back half too quick, Brisbane often had the free player to hit, and hit the target.
  5. Intensity looked better than the last couple weeks but still down on great efforts like showdown.
  6. Brown, Lever and Talia with great defensive stopping efforts, the clean up wasn't good though, struggled to get out after.
  7. Struggled to move the ball from defence, no run. Often blazing kicks.
  8. Crouchs' touches were good, often finding the outlet pass to the linking player going past
  9. The mighy Thor looks like he belongs, could he be our Bont, Cripps type player.
  10. Brissy's big names did all the damage, Beams, Zorko Martin looked immense.
  11. Sloane looked like he was dealing with the tag a little better.
If you guys have watched Brissy play this year they always put in a decent qtr. Brissy played well.

Did anyone else notice that Luke Brown went into the middle in the last quarter. Stood alongside Dayne Beams for the remainder of the match. Was sitting there thinking to myself if Pykey is starting to look at this "tagger" business a little more seriously and could be grooming Browny into the role if one of the opposition players get off the chain. Beams had like what, 40 touches last night? Believe he had 36 up to three quarter time or something like that, which means when Brown went onto him, he had minimal impact.

Just something I saw and and was thinking. Maybe we're looking at creating the role of Tagger within the side.

Did anyone else notice that Luke Brown went into the middle in the last quarter. Stood alongside Dayne Beams for the remainder of the match. Was sitting there thinking to myself if Pykey is starting to look at this "tagger" business a little more seriously and could be grooming Browny into the role if one of the opposition players get off the chain. Beams had like what, 40 touches last night? Believe he had 36 up to three quarter time or something like that, which means when Brown went onto him, he had minimal impact.

Just something I saw and and was thinking. Maybe we're looking at creating the role of Tagger within the side.
Brown would be a great tagged. The type of guy who would keeep the oppo best mid to 20 touches and get 20 himself.

Plenty of positives, a few negatives too. I'd much rather do what we did last night than have a perfect 150 point win where everything went right and the cracks were papered over.

GOOD

Debutants having an impact, particularly Thor. Hopefully it gives selectors a shake up.

Eddie Betts, just stop it.

Sloane breaking a tag albeit an average one.

Brouch shows glimpses, Mrouch had a ripping night

Lever is a star. Playing on guys his own age he towels them up. Draft steal of the decade.

Charlie was muuuuch better.

Different midfield setups, particularly Brown.

BAD

First quarters are a massive issue.

We attacked the pill all night, but not in a team sense until late in the first.

Injuries

Otten and Douglas barely 1 grabbed anything all night. Lynch to a lesser extent.

Defensive structure needs changing. We can't free wheel all the way to September. We throw an extra to the stoppage because our midfield isn't top shelf but it leaves our defence exposed.

They used to play Mackay as a "cooler" but he was completely hopeless in that role because he can't apply even a shred of physical pressure.

At least Brown can tackle

Plenty of positives, a few negatives too. I'd much rather do what we did last night than have a perfect 150 point win where everything went right and the cracks were papered over.

GOOD

Debutants having an impact, particularly Thor. Hopefully it gives selectors a shake up.

Eddie Betts, just stop it.

Sloane breaking a tag albeit an average one.

Brouch shows glimpses, Mrouch had a ripping night

Lever is a star. Playing on guys his own age he towels them up. Draft steal of the decade.

Charlie was muuuuch better.

Different midfield setups, particularly Brown.

BAD

First quarters are a massive issue.

We attacked the pill all night, but not in a team sense until late in the first.

Injuries

Otten and Douglas barely 1 grabbed anything all night. Lynch to a lesser extent.

Defensive structure needs changing. We can't free wheel all the way to September. We throw an extra to the stoppage because our midfield isn't top shelf but it leaves our defence exposed.

It was easy to pick that Douglass who is having a fantastic year and held his own last night along with Otten who kicked a couple of goals rucked and did his job, that they would be the whipping boys after Mackay was dropped it was as predictable as a bear shitting in the woods

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Brisbane, Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back