Review Good vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for half a second I thought it was a free kick to Melbourne. :$

I cant ever recall a Crows game where a player kicked it deliberately into the crowd after the siren. Epic moment.
Shows the changed side... these guys are heart!! It’s ushered in a new breed! These are not crowbots.

these guys are heart and soul.

yeah we lack in a few areas but f$?,, me why wouldn’t you want to be a part of what we building

Lever looks to have that real good intercept marking / reading of the ball prowess BUT looks to lack some aggression and pace that we saw from him in his last year with us. A bit like Doedee, or a Aliir - can be exploited if done right.

Wow great game by the group today. Lots of positives.

Dominated at the clearances yet still found a way to win against a good side.

Funny that we revert back to our attacking mindset from the first few rounds and that completely turns it around for us. Pressure was also right back up there as well.

Good:

Has to be said first up, Mackay was immense today. One of his best games for the club in a week where he was probably roasted the most on this board. Credit to him, he's always cracked in and is just trying to play footy.

Seed keeps getting criminally underrated imo. Poor game last week but he's in career best form and is a key player for us right now.

Tex stands up! Happy for him.

Butts doesn't get a lot of praise but I think he's been sensational this year in an incredibly tough role. Easy to forget how inexperienced he is and has essentially been holding down our tall defence all year.

Brown been great in defence also.

Doedee back to his best. Bounced back well but obviously benefited from going back to his normal role.

McHenry's best game imo. Immense pressure not importantly, used the ball well and made good decisions. Looking like an afl footballer.

Keays and laird de ja vu. Bring the same every week.

TT another fantastic game. Showing all his skills and clearly lived getting stuck in when the heat was on.

Berry one of his best games as well. Takes the ball cleanly and usually makes good decisions. Good overhead.

Rowe another good game. Starting to get used to the level and is clever with ball in hand.

I didn't think Murray was as bad as people said up to the 4th qtr. I think we should give him a run of games to see what he has. Has a presence in the air.

Smith keeps on keeping on.

Jones looks a different player down back. Give him some outside ball and he looks classy. Makes good decisions and has nice foot skills. Like the move.

Not a lot of bad really. Fog was quiet but makes things happen when he does get it.

ROB still not in great form.

Sholl finding out is not all easy going.

Berg struggled a bit.

I didn’t think keays got anywhere near hand balling it, but only saw it once.
It's hard to tell without slowmo and close up, but I genuinely thought he made contact with the ball.

The question was more how long he had the ball before getting rid of it, but as Roo was quick to tell Dunstall, they'd been letting those go all night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to call out all the immense players tonight.

Tex, influential all game, and then kicks the winning goal.

Keays, absolute beast and never stops working hard, then gets goals aswell. Most influential player on the ground for us.

Filthy just showing why he's out no1 pick.

Brown with the clutch defensive plays.

Doedee showing leadership time and time again.

Fog showing why he's in the team. Aggression, and he knows how to kick goals.

Rowey kicking goals and getting involved all over the ground.

Seed started shakily, but came through as an important reason we won.

Butts absolutely immense in defence. Underrated by all.

Murray with the game saving tackle.

I'm sure I've missed many, what a performance.

It's hard to tell without slowmo and close up, but I genuinely thought he made contact with the ball.

The question was more how long he had the ball before getting rid of it, but as Roo was quick to tell Dunstall, they'd been letting those go all night.

He seemed to have the ball held to him on his left: he appeared to then thump it hard with his right fist to get rid of it belatedly, not a classic handball, but good enough. You are right about the increased latitude allowed for disposal tonight. I recall one case when there a bit of a pileup and I think two of our guys had an oppo tackled, then we appealed with hands in the air to the ump for HTB, only to have the ball released and another oppo run away with it! There's a lesson there: don't relax anything until the whistle is blown.

He seemed to have the ball held to him on his left: he appeared to then thump it hard with his right fist to get rid of it belatedly, not a classic handball, but good enough. You are right about the increased latitude allowed for disposal tonight. I recall one case when there a bit of a pileup and I think two of our guys had an oppo tackled, then we appealed with hands in the air to the ump for HTB, only to have the ball released and another oppo run away with it! There's a lesson there: don't relax anything until the whistle is blown.

If any commentators have watched AFL in the last month u can do a 1040 degree dance in a tackle before the ump even glances at u. Throws, flicks, tunnelball, anything goes.

I hesitate to criticise after such a good win, but seek opinions on the Brown-Kossie incident. I don't reckon that goal should have happened. Brown had him on the boundary line but only pushed him softly in the side and Kossie ran away and kicked the goal: Brown was never going to catch him., obviously. However, why on earth didn't he shove him in the side with a lot more force over the boundary line?

Lever seemed off tonight, I reckon the crowd were in his head. Settled a bit later in the game but kept trying to do too much instead of playing percentages and taking the first option.
Lever game needs a dominant defender like May to be releasing Lever to do his thing.

May is every bit a elite defender. But he can't do two jobs.

I want to call out all the immense players tonight.

Tex, influential all game, and then kicks the winning goal.

Keays, absolute beast and never stops working hard, then gets goals aswell. Most influential player on the ground for us.

Filthy just showing why he's out no1 pick.

Brown with the clutch defensive plays.

Doedee showing leadership time and time again.

Fog showing why he's in the team. Aggression, and he knows how to kick goals.

Rowey kicking goals and getting involved all over the ground.

Seed started shakily, but came through as an important reason we won.

Butts absolutely immense in defence. Underrated by all.

Murray with the game saving tackle.

I'm sure I've missed many, what a performance.
Murray was poor most of the match. Isn't ready for AFL at this stage. Smart move by Nicks to put him up forward on Gawn late to get him into the game. Murray is a much better forward than a back imo. Seems to jump well at the ball and have more confidence when forward. They should play him in the forward line in the SANFL.

Last edited:
Oliver 2nd half stats were amazing. He very nearly carried them to victory, didnt get a lot of help.
Oliver was fantastic/outstanding and yet we found a way to pressure and put in a gutsy effort. Felt to excited and proud of the team tonight. Not happy with moving up the ladder but I'll take the win anyday.... As Jackie Gleason would say "how Sweet It Is"

Fox actually showed an angle where the Melbourne dude is knocking the ball. I don't know how to do GIFS but in motion you can see the ball sharply change direction.
View attachment 1134572
View attachment 1134569
View attachment 1134571
Umpire has a clear view of it.

Brad Johnson was having a cry over the top about how the whole footy world knows it was a bad call. Smiling Assassin? Pfft more like THE FROWNING ASSASSIN
Good shout, went back and gif'd it. Very strong case for it rebounding off the Demon's arm. You see a couple frames of it travelling more sideways before it completely changes trajectory. He actually does handball it up, but the Dee swats it down.

Good shout, went back and gif'd it. Very strong case for it rebounding off the Demon's arm. You see a couple frames of it travelling more sideways before it completely changes trajectory. He actually does handball it up, but the Dee swats it down.

Wow, that is conclusive. A good decision.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back