Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NZ Breakers / New York Knicks
gday

I thought this thread would be cool to re-live some great Doggies Memories

i am interested in people posting images, or video clips of the greatest Bulldogs Speccy's of all time

A few that stand out for me were The Ted Whitten one below, and of course Matty Robbins at Telstra Dome:)

Also, i remember 4 from Brett Montgomery - One against the swans at the SCG, One against the Hawks at Waverley, One against the Eagles in the First Final at the MCG, and of course the big one against Essendon at the MCG

Please feel free to post your images and clips

cheers

wian

TedWhitten1.jpg

robbinsscreamer.jpg

I remember a ripper from Chris Grant in the goal square at Optus Oval. Dont remember who it was against. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

I remember a ripper from Chris Grant in the goal square at Optus Oval. Dont remember who it was against. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

If my memory serves me correctly, I think Grant's mark was against the Roys.

I love Monty's grab at the "G" against the Bombers. The next day the Herald Sun had a huge pic of it on the Back page.

Although not a "specky", Simon Beasley's mark, followed by the match winning goal at the Western Oval against Collingwood is an all time favorite of mine.

Also, I remember Murray Rance taking a pretty good mark (may have won Mark of the Day) at the Western Oval, in the late 80s.

Chris Grant took a great hanger at Kardinia Park in 92 over a pack at CHF (you can see it on the Diamond Dogs video). Fool of a commentater called 'great bang...err mark by grant' really stuffed it up. It's amazing how much a commentator can influence the greatness of a mark...
Monty took some specials at Optus Oval in 97 too.

Actually it was in the 1961 preliminary final versus Melbourne.
I remember this photo all over he papers.
I was sitting just behind the cameraman at the Punt Rd end.:thumbsu:

I was there, too. My first final - just a little kid, standing with my dad at the city end (remember standing room?)

I actually missed it. Someone near us said something like, "one more goal and we're home". I looked up at the scoreboard, heard the roar, turned back to the game to see Merv moving back with the ball and Trevor Johnson (the stepladder) looking bewildered, standing on the mark.
The crowd was ballistic, I was wondering what I'd missed!

Doh!

Had that photo hanging on my wall for years.
They did a poster of it - headed "Mark of the Century".

Merv said later that the only time he touched Johnson was on the way down - some leap!
Unfortunately, he spent the rest of his career trying - unsuccessfully - to do it again.

Chris Grant took a screamer up the old grandstand end at Optus Oval when were playing there, just can't place who it was against. He then took a ripper against Richmond the day after they sacked Walls, or maybe Geischen.... memory is a bit fuzzy of that one.

Monty against Essendon, also took a similar one against the Swans, both right in the middle of the park.

gallery section of a website i made back in high school has a few scanned photos:
http://www.geocities.com/mountmistake/gallery.htm

I remember Grant's Absolute screamer on Darren Gaspar's head at Optus Oval. I was sitting ground level and he was a very long way up!

Best mark I ever saw live though was ex-bulldog Michael Frost taking a triple decker grab in the FDFL Grandfinal for Yarraville vs Parkside!

Bit obscure I know!

Someone mentioned earlier how a commentator can "influence the greatness of a mark..."
For that reason I'll never forget "Grant launches himself" from Bruce Mac, when we beat teh Eagles at Subiaco in 97'. It was a solid pack mark and the resultant goal won us the game.

Tim Watson evidence to the AFL tribunal circa 1993 follwing dogs v Bombers game at Waverley;

"I then stepped back into the pack to allow player Grant to take mark of the year."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phil Krakour took a great one out at Waverley for us one day, can't remember who it was against maybe Hawthorn.

Matty Robbins took a one handed Ablettesque screamer a few years back.

The Grant ones at Optus Oval were against Richmond in 1997 and Fremantle in 2002. Both classy marks, but his one against Richmond was better. He also took a ripper in 1996 against Fitzroy at the Whitten Oval.

Montgomery took four sensational marks in 1998. His best one, IMO, was against Sydney at the SCG in round five. His effort against Essendon in round 21 was also classy. Took a ripper against West Coast in the QF, and one against Hawthorn as well.

Johnson's one against Geelong at KP in 2001 stands out as well. It was in the third quarter and there hadn't been a goal scored for the entire quarter up until he marked over Scarlett and goaled. Brought the margin to within two goals, after we were seven goals down at one stage.

Robbins' effort in my avatar is my personal favourite. He also took a beauty one on one against Johncock in 2006 at the MCG.

I can also remember the great Patrick Bowden taking a mark at the Dome against Fremantle in either 2003 or 2004.

Monty's mark at the MCG against the red and black filth was a gem.....I remember the crowd going bonkers!!!! Chris Grant's against the tiges (optus oval 97)was problaby the best ive seen!!!! He also took a pearla in a state game too!!!

wbFOOTSCRAYdempsey2_gallery__246x400.jpg

Nice mark by big Dempsey :)

Waiting front and centre for the crumbs is the extremely fair St Kilda ball player and well known pacifist Mr R Muir.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/12/wbFOOTSCRAYdempsey2_gallery__246x400.jpg

The same supposed pacifist who copped a hefty suspension in the Ballarat Football League before he even got to the VFL.

I saw him on the Bob Davis/Kevin Bartlett show a couple of years ago and Rob said he was umpiring the occasional match, everyone thought it was hilarious until they realized he was not joking..

Murray Rance took some rippers for us

Peter foster

Chris Grant many times

Johnno down at Kardinia Park, the same year Moocroft used his back to take the mark of the year. Johnno's was just as good in my opinion.

Laurie Sandilands in the 70's, took some sensational Marks in the goal square

Kelvin tempelton, great Pack marks

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest Bulldogs Marks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back