Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks approach, taking into account the rest of the team management, is exactly the correct approach

There’s plenty of games remaining ,,,, you’ll see Ryan and Curtin get games

But at this point …. Nicks is taking the correct approach …. you probably won’t understand nor accept the reasons

What? To keep playing Murphy who provides **** all on the field for his 100+ games or so.

Murphy’s claim to fame will be that Showdown in 2022 where thankfully Dawson took the kick instead of Murphy and we won the Showdown against the odds.

Ok I will give it a crack:

• at the time, one week into this season, it could be reasonably argued we were on a relatively perfect total rebuild trajectory.
  • last years draw, despite many on here getting confused saying we played 4 games against Kangas and Weagles, was actually one of the hardest draws in the competition.Olsen made that point publicly. No other team played more too 4 teams twice (Pies, Lions and Power top 4 end of minor round, plus GWS based on final top 4). We also had the best winning record against top 4 teams outside of the top 4. And we all know the losses - Pies twice by a few points total, Lions away by a goal, Dees away by less than a goal, Swans at home where we were shafted a top 8 spot). Our form was very good last year against top teams.
  • highest scoring team in the comp last year despite finishing out of the 8. First time that’s happened for decades. This is a huge tick. And attacking, free flowing aggressive footy likely to hold up in finals according o most.,
  • culturally, no sane person can argue Nicks hasn’t turned the shitty culture around. From what he inherited to building a young and inexperienced team (easily bottom quartile for both) that clearly wanted to play for him, were getting “overs” in terms of results and were committing to the footy club like never before. Who did we lose in recent years? Doedee (luckily) and a peripheral McAdam who has done jack shit with Dees. On the other hand we keep signing the interstate youngsters on long term deals like never before - Rachele, Soligo, Worrell etc
  • we successfully trade for 2 of our best ever recruits in Dawson and Rankine. Coach clearly plays a massive role in that.

The club projected out the above and to take the pressure off the young team re-signed early. Whether that’s right or not isn’t what I am addressing above or what you asked to be addressed. Still lots to play out re possible wins triggers in 2024 but again outside the score of your concerns.

One of the points of conjecture is why we bothered to resign Nicks one week into the season? If we were going to do it, why didn’t we resign him in the preseason. The first week after a loss makes absolutely zero sense.

Supposedly we wanted to take the pressure off, well that worked out well.

Nicks approach, taking into account the rest of the team management, is exactly the correct approach

But at this point …. Nicks is taking the correct approach …. you probably won’t understand nor accept the reasons
And the correct approach is what exactly?

lol that’s not what you have to respond to Wayne, it’s the post where you bagged him in 2023 ;)

Aren’t we already playing the least experienced team per week? Or close to?
Because of our list. The only experience he’s effectively not playing is Smith and he tried and tried with him, remember subbing Nank for him?

As for Murphy, he sucks, we lose nothing by playing Taylor ahead of him and gain as we develop Taylor.

Aren’t we already playing the least experienced team per week? Or close to?
No. We have players like Murphy, McHenry, Jones and Laird in the side that should be replaced with younger more talented players. Smith has only recently been dropped. We can absolutely field a more inexperienced team than what we have been.
Nicks has demonstrated throughout his time here that he prefers experience over giving youngsters a chance. With the exception of a few all others had to wait for injuries to others to get their chance.

I’ve got a solution guys, what about Biden for next Adelaide Crows senior coach?

Zac Taylor can just tell Biden that he’s Lachie Murphy and Curtin can tell him he’s Jordan Dawson and Biden won’t know the difference

Unfortunately, Rory Laird could also convince him he’s Lachie Neale and McHenry could convince him he’s Luke Breust, but otherwise I think the strategy is flawless!

I’ve got a solution guys, what about Biden for next Adelaide Crows senior coach?

Zac Taylor can just tell Biden that he’s Lachie Murphy and Curtin can tell him he’s Jordan Dawson and Biden won’t know the difference

Unfortunately, Rory Laird could also convince him he’s Lachie Neale and McHenry could convince him he’s Luke Breust, but otherwise I think the strategy is flawless!

Well at least Biden would be asleep most of the time so wouldn't be making bad decisions at those times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. We have players like Murphy, McHenry, Jones and Laird in the side that should be replaced with younger more talented players. Smith has only recently been dropped. We can absolutely field a more inexperienced team than what we have been.
Nicks has demonstrated throughout his time here that he prefers experience over giving youngsters a chance. With the exception of a few all others had to wait for injuries to others to get their chance.
Nicks has played all his experienced players for the last 5 years and this is where we end up, after all this time.
Exactly where we started from.
Big questions need to be asked about development and why haven't enough youngsters stepped up

Have seen how clean Nicks's car is ?
200.gif

None of that warranted re-signing him after round 1, I knew all of that at the time and I was of the view we wait and review how the season went. I was right.
All good man. If it’s that important to be “right” on an anonymous internet forum then I will happily agree with you in this instance. I just really don’t care that much to debate further, cheers

One of the points of conjecture is why we bothered to resign Nicks one week into the season? If we were going to do it, why didn’t we resign him in the preseason. The first week after a loss makes absolutely zero sense.

Supposedly we wanted to take the pressure off, well that worked out well.
Ok that’s a fair call. I have no idea why it was done after a week rather than before round one. Seems strange I agree.

Ok I will give it a crack:
Kudos, seriously, for giving it a go in the face of vast majority opposition (eg in the thread Poll, above).

at the time, one week into this season, it could be reasonably argued we were on a relatively perfect total rebuild trajectory.
No such thing. Perfect is perfect and not qualifiable. "Relatively perfect" means imperfect. Not perfect.
For starters:
2019, 11th, Pyke abdicates.
2020, SPOON (I don't see how 11th to 18th is a win, but it was a bad time, Nicks was a rookie, the assistants were not of his choosing etc).
2021, 15th (on the back of a win over hopeless NM in the last round, kicking 13.20; after Round 5, we were 9th to as low as 17th. We were last from Round 3 onward)
2022, 14th (15th ==> 14th is very minor improvement. Unimpressive)
2023, 10th (with all your caveats below)

Question: Is 11th to 18th to 10th in 4 years really significant/positive? Even close to perfect, or "nearly perfect"? :confusedv1:

We also had the best winning record against top 4 teams outside of the top 4.
Uhhh, I think you mean "... against top 8 teams outside the top 4"?

And we all know the losses - Pies twice by a few points total, Lions away by a goal, Dees away by less than a goal, Swans at home where we were shafted a top 8 spot). Our form was very good last year against top teams.
Disagree, sorry.
Multiple close losses (replicated this year, sadly) are not a sign of strength. It means that our Coach does not know how to get the players up to win those close losses. He has NO plan. By contrast, MacRae certainly does.
The fact that close losses continued in 2024 is a negative pattern ie too many losses by a kick.

At the time of the disallowed goal vs. Sydney ==> point --- yes, it was a crap decision --- but there was still time enough for Sydney to have regained the lead from the next centre bounce if the goal was given.
We will never know what might have happened.
highest scoring team in the comp last year despite finishing out of the 8. First time that’s happened for decades. This is a huge tick. And attacking, free flowing aggressive footy likely to hold up in finals according [to] most.
Yes, a definite positive of 2023, with maybe Tex's best ever year and standout performances from Rankine and Dawson. However,
question: who was really responsible for that forward-line success? Nicks? :confusedv1:
Or Burgess (improved fitness, especially Tex) and Rahilly combined (Rahilly now gone :sadv1: and our forwards' system has collapsed)??
  • culturally, no sane person can argue Nicks hasn’t turned the shitty culture around. From what he inherited to building a young and inexperienced team (easily bottom quartile for both) that clearly wanted to play for him, were getting “overs” in terms of results and were committing to the footy club like never before.
Yes, I agree. The culture has improved/changed. Credit to Nicks for that :thumbsu:. He's a nice bloke and a good people-person, but that does not make him a tough, winning Coach, which we need now.
4-9-1 in 2024 is a backward step, bigtime.

After 14 games in 2023 we were 7-7.
  • Who did we lose in recent years? Doedee (luckily) and a peripheral McAdam who has done jack shit with Dees. On the other hand we keep signing the interstate youngsters on long term deals like never before - Rachele, Soligo, Worrell etc
You've forgotten Stengle (whom Scott and Geelong turned into one of the best, Flag-winning small forwards in the Comp).
I was not sorry to see Frampton go, but he's got a Premiership medal, too!
  • we successfully trade for 2 of our best ever recruits in Dawson and Rankine. Coach clearly plays a massive role in that.
Dawson and Rankine are definite wins :hearteyes::thumbsu:.
We need another 2 or 3 like them.
Nicks gets a tick along with the recruiters/negotiators who clinched the deal, but in both cases the come-home factor was very big.
Rachele seems to be regressing. Jones, too. Pedlar is playing mediocre footy in the SANFL but has the ability to be a midfield/forward bull for us. My guess is that Pedlar and Nicks don't get along, but I dunno why.
Berry (still a tackling beast) and Schoenberg have not improved.
Nicks continued to give games to McHuff'n'Puff and Murphy, and Smith.
Had Sloane not been injured, Nicks would still have him as one of the first picked.
The club projected out the above and to take the pressure off the young team re-signed early.
What "pressure" was on the young team, regarding Nicks? :confusedv1: He was contracted for 2024.
Do you think at 0-1 after Round One the young team was worried about Nicks getting sacked?
I doubt it; why would they?

At 0-4 there would have been pressure on Nicks, for sure, because he spent the entire off-season changing the game plan, which removed all of 2023's attacking flair. Nicks had NO good reason to go ultra-defensive, apart from assuming they were gonna make Finals and had to tighten up.
They did not have to. If anything, all they needed was to kick only one (or more) goal/game to finish Top 8 in 2024.
The players looked lost/confused. Nicks' defensive slowdown was not within their skill level, especially with Tex not firing, RT/Murray injured, Smith/Murphy/McHenry useless.

Without that 2 year extension, at 4-9-1 Nicks might've been sacked and with good reason.
0-4, now 4-9-1 has made his re-signing look ridiculous and the people who made it happen have become fools who cannot now sack him lest their own positions become untenable.

Having said all that, 119others, I respect (even admire) you trying to explain the case for Nicks' retention.
I am only one of many who disagree.

All good man. If it’s that important to be “right” on an anonymous internet forum then I will happily agree with you in this instance. I just really don’t care that much to debate further, cheers
lol, pointing out I was right is pointing out that the concerns I and many on here raised were correct. In this instance I’d prefer to be wrong, it would mean we wouldn’t be a shit show, we haven’t blown a rebuild, we hadn’t re-signed a dud coach and we’d have finals to look forward to.

All of that is more important to me than being right on an anonymous internet forum, but nice effort in being a condescending moral high ground twat again.

Back