News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

completely out of her depth as operations manager (or whatever she is) of the afl
A puppet put in place to show the AFL isn't a sexist organisation and knowing she will do and say whatever she is told.
All on a pretty good salary for pretty much doing nothing.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

here's the rest of it:

AFL executive general manager of football Laura Kane has forecast changing the traditional fortnightly rotation of home games for WA teams as the starting point for reducing the amount of time West Coast and Fremantle spend flying across the country each season.
The AFL is working through a series of competitive balance decisions and is keen to address the challenges the Dockers and Eagles face while travelling around Australia each season.
While the clubs are pushing to add an extra home game to their fixture, Kane said the recent example of West Coast playing two consecutive matches in Perth before having their bye was an option that could be quickly implemented while the league was considering other changes.
“Staying home for a couple of weeks, as opposed to the one on, one off clearly helps. And where we can do that around byes and things that also helps us to have those few extra days,” Kane told The West Australian.
The first point to start at is what is the structure of the season? What’s the structure of travel days and breaks? Setting a fixture that provides efficiencies for clubs is exactly what we’re trying to do. But it’s not always easy.
“I think there are some practical things around coming over to the east coast and staying on the east coast. AFLW players do it quite often. Fremantle and West Coast could come for a couple of weeks, play a couple of games, and be in closer proximity.
But I won’t put a timeline on it. Nor will I put an outcome on what that could look like. But I appreciate the feedback and understand that people are interested and probably wanting another home game.”
Fremantle’s run towards September provides an example of how remaining interstate could work. The Dockers travel to Sydney to face the Swans in round 16 and then return to NSW to play Greater Western Sydney in round 23.
West Coast also have four trips to Victoria for the remainder of the season.
Kane has travelled to Perth three times this year and said she understands the concerns of the clubs. But she stressed it was important to recognise that the travel demands from WA hadn’t made it impossible to premierships.
I understand what they go through. I understand that it’s a long way. But I also understand a team like West Coast have been extremely successful,” she said.
“They’ve won premierships, and a few of them. And they’ve had a eras of great, great success with great, great players, and a plane ride hasn’t seemed to stop them.
“So I think it’s something Fremantle can aspire to and it’s something that West Coast should continue to aspire to in both (men’s and women’s) competitions.”

I’m sure it’s been posted in this thread ad nauseam but anyone disillusioned with the current AFL ineptitude and clickiness that saw Dillon and Kane (not Bock and Gunston…) ascend to their roles would be well served reading “The Boys Club” by Michael Warner.

It covers all manner of nepotism, cronyism and good old fashioned conflicts of interest that permeate AFL House.

Even more interesting to read given Gil’s recent appointment as Tabcorp CEO and tweets like this 👇

Mmmmm, no wonder every second ad on footy is about betting. Then you have Nathan Brown's clip every 5 minutes.
But hey, bettings baaaaad.

Watch: The 10 controversial calls that have impacted AFL games late this season​

https://archive.ph/esSeH#selection-763.0-763.79

When you do a deeper analysis of the 10 controversial calls a disturbing trend occurs.

Of the 10 controversial calls 8 benefited Victorian Teams verses the teams that got the pineapple shafting, 6 times it was a Non Victorian Teams.

Main beneficiaries were:

Collingwood x 2
Carlton x 2

vAFL not to subtle about ensuring that the big money spinners for the vAFL attendance $$$, are assisted to make the finals.

Last edited:
Kane has travelled to Perth three times this year and said she understands the concerns of the clubs. But she stressed it was important to recognise that the travel demands from WA hadn’t made it impossible to premierships.
I understand what they go through. I understand that it’s a long way. But I also understand a team like West Coast have been extremely successful,” she said.
“They’ve won premierships, and a few of them. And they’ve had a eras of great, great success with great, great players, and a plane ride hasn’t seemed to stop them.

Dear Laura,

West Coast won premierships DESPITE the travel and other impediments put in place by the vAFL.
IF...
WC were a Melbourne club with Melbourne travel; and
got the last 10 games of a season at our home ground (yes Richmond, looking at you in a premiership year); and
suffered the travel burden of a trip to Geelong and trip to Marvel as the only travel in the 2nd half of a season; and
played the GF at my home ground,; and
played away finals at home (until 1997 or was it later?).

THEN...
I am sure that WC would have won at least 4 and possibly more cups over the 1990-1995 era and the 2006 effort would not have been a one cup team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you do a deeper analysis of the 10 controversial calls a disturbing trend occurs.

Of the 10 controversial calls 8 benefited Victorian Teams verses the teams that got the pineapple shafting, 6 times it was a Non Victorian Teams.

Main beneficiaries were:

Collingwood x 2
Carlton x 2

vAFL not to subtle about ensuring that the big money spinners for the vAFL attendance $$$, are assisted to make the finals.
With 100% honesty, if it ends up being a Collingwood v Carlton GF this year that’ll be my cue to say thanks for the memories WCE BF forumgoers but Im not wasting my time participating as a fan of a fixed sport one second longer.

Had my grandpas 100th during the week, the guy is in a home with **** all to do and when I asked him if he’d been watching the football he said no, the game just doesn’t feel the same as it used to.

Confirmed: Swings to the face are legal as they do not have the potential to cause injury.

I'm pretty sure the deliberation time at the tribunal is the panel members working out if they are going to lose money from the various bets they have on or not. If it's cash positive you get rubbed out. If it's cash negative you get off.

Dear Laura,

West Coast won premierships DESPITE the travel and other impediments put in place by the vAFL.
IF...
got the last 10 games of a season at our home ground (yes Richmond, looking at you in a premiership year); and
suffered the travel burden of a trip to Geelong and trip to Marvel as the only travel in the 2nd half of a season; and

THEN...
I am sure that WC would have won at least 4 and possibly more cups over the 1990-1995 era and the 2006 effort would not have been a one cup team.
Well said. I’d encourage you to snail mail that (or similar) to her. Be very interested in her response (if any). Pls keep us informed.

Reminds me that the otherwise sensible Tim Lane made that same point. Just shows intelligence is no guarantee of empathy.

Usain Bolt could beat me in a 100m sprint if he had a 20kg backup on, and therefore that’s a fair race. His times should count the same as an unencumbered runner, and we shouldn’t even consider how fast he could run if he wasn’t wearing the 20kg backup.

Please hire me, AFL.

Paywall bypassed article on how Reid's been handling his two week suspension and how players were scared to go near him during the weeks match sim because he was smashing in hard...need a couple more players like the kid to smack the loserness out of this current team. What a chad.

She thinks it something they can aspire to. Thinks!? If it isn't the goal of every club to win the premiership, then what is the ****ing point?

Remember she like all the execs see each club as a dollar sign, success or failure is irrelevant as long as they are profitable.

Dear Laura,

IF...

THEN...
Switch our travel with Richmonds and we probably win 2 or 3 flags around 2015-2020, while they would be lucky to win one.

Paywall bypassed article on how Reid's been handling his two week suspension and how players were scared to go near him during the weeks match sim because he was smashing in hard...need a couple more players like the kid to smack the loserness out of this current team. What a chad.
I reckon we'll beat Essendon this weekend. Sounds like the boys are fired up and refreshed.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back