News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Darling higher up the ground will bounce back today. Often double teamed close to goal has been smashed. Players delivering into the forward line need to hit up players leading and not bomb it in.

We've had a fitness/workrate/want for the contest problem for years now. Players can say all the stuff they want in the pre season but the truth always get laid bare during the season.

Would like to see the minute before for each. Agree it looks bad but you don't lose by 10 goals without a most players having a few plays like that.

It looks as though the West has finally stopped its run of back pages with Harley. Maybe Don came to an agreement with them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well if woodcock hasn't already done enough to annoy the eagles supporters he just penned an opinion arguing that the AFL should deny any comp picks. Thought it might be a april fools but nope, seems to be his legit opinion.
--------------------------------------------

Motormouth Mitch: Why the AFL shouldn’t give West Coast Eagles a priority pick in 2024 AFL season​

Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Mon, 1 April 2024 5:00AM
Comments
Mitchell Woodcock

Compensation Crackdown

West Coast’s early season struggles have forced the panic button to be hit by several pundits and punters.
And this has led to a conversation around whether the Eagles should put their hand out to the AFL for priority picks. And if I’m the AFL, I am saying ‘no way’.

Looking at the results of the previous 24 months, you can make a solid argument to justify some priority picks.
But dig a little deeper and you can easily justify why they shouldn’t, and it all centres around the trade to bring Tim Kelly back from Geelong.
This is not a shot at Kelly at all. He’s held up his end of the bargain.

The trade itself though has come back to haunt the Eagles given just how strong the 2019 draft is starting to become.
It is no coincidence that teams like Fremantle, Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney are in strong positions given they had several high-end picks in this draft.

The backbone of the Dockers’ rebuild came from this draft with Hayden Young (pick No.7), Caleb Serong (No.8) and Liam Henry (No.9).
Henry is obviously at St Kilda now but they got Luke Jackson (No.2) which is proving a masterstroke.
Meanwhile, West Coast gave up picks 14, 24 and 33 from that draft to land Kelly.

This meant they missed out on landing the likes of Mitch Georgiades, Deven Robertson, Jeremy Sharp, Trent Rivers and Chad Warner. And these were just the West Australian talent left on the board.
Where was the Eagles’ first pick in what is quickly becoming a super draft? It was No.49 which they used to grab Callum Jamieson. They then grabbed Ben Johnson with pick No.58 and he didn’t play a game.

The Eagles also gave up their first-round pick of 2020, which the Cats used to land Jeremy Cameron.
Luke Edwards at pick No.52 was their first recruit in that draft, while Isiah Winder was the next five selections later.

The Eagles are in a bad situation, but a lot of it’s their own doing and they shouldn’t be compensated for it.
And for the record, priority picks should be scrapped entirely. But seeing as that looks unlikely, then the Eagles should not be compensated for mistakes made.

Well if woodcock hasn't already done enough to annoy the eagles supporters he just penned an opinion arguing that the AFL should deny any comp picks. Thought it might be a april fools but nope, seems to be his legit opinion.
--------------------------------------------

**** me what an absolute peanut. I’m staggered he remembers to breathe with a brain that small

1) If making a mistake(s) in list management is grounds for ruling out priority picks then nobody would get any. North are in their position due to their own mistakes as well

2) He references the 2019 draft and teams (Freo, Gold Coast and the Giants) that did well out of that draft due to having several high end picks in it. Our first pick traded from Kelly was 14 which became 16 and was after those three clubs who between them had 8 of the first 11 picks. Even had we not traded for Kelly we wouldn’t have had access to those high end picks

3) Now let’s have a look at how those clubs got some of their picks.
a) Gold Coast had pick 1 (Rowell) as a priority pick. They also received first pick in the 2nd round which was used with other picks to move up to pick 11 (Flanders), plus a mid F1 pick that they traded to Geelong for pick 27 (Sharp).
b) Fremantle were able to match a bid at pick 9 on Liam Henry as a NGA player before the rules were changed
c) GWS were able to match a bid at pick 10 on Tom Greene because northern academies
All of the 3 clubs he referenced as doing well out of the draft either received concessions directly or were the beneficiaries of other draft “complexities”

3) He then mentions Luke Jackson who the Dockers didn’t draft but later traded for using pick 13 and their F1 and F2 picks which ultimately became 7 and 34. It’s arguable they paid more for Jackson than we did for Kelly

4) Of the WA players he mentions we missed out on, only Warner would be making a significant difference to our current plight. Maybe Rivers to a lesser extent. We also only had a pick to draft one of Georgiades or Robertson, not both

We had a throw at the stumps by trading for Kelly to chase a flag which was reasonable with the list we had at the end of 2019. It didn’t work out the way we planned/hoped but that decision shouldn’t be grounds for denying any compensation.

Our predicament is due to a wide range of factors, some of our own doing but others less so but as I said at the start no club ends up in a position where concessions are on the table without making mistakes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy here is right.. and that second quarter stat is dire… no one should be defending the garbage we are putting out. Injuries aren’t an excuse

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Looks like Brereton was right. We are worse than last year. Still I hope we are a bit better with Oscar Allen, Ryan and Flynn. 2 years of no selection pressure and shit development really has absolutely broke us.

Even Kane and Hutchy are on board. You know that it's dire times when Kane is saying we need a priority pick.

Excellent seems like a done deal. All the Vic king pins are on board and the media. All that stands between us and priority picks is our fans and leadership.

The GCS assistance package is the starting point. Afl did consult GCS on what they wanted. They should do the same with us

Stick to the plan.

FOS
Jagga
Sid draper all in one draft. Total cleanout of mids

Last edited:
Excellent seems like a done deal. All the Vic king pins are on board and the media. All that stands between us and priority picks is our fans and leadership.

The GCS assistance package is the starting point.

Stick to the plan.

FOS
Jagga
Sid draper all in one draft. Total cleanout of mids
We are as bad as last year. Unwatcheable at round 3 is pretty sad. Looking forward to the draft already.

I’m not convinced we are worse than last year. We’ve lost to three finals contenders by 50-75 points. Come back to me when we lose by 171 points.
comedy central season 2 episode 6 GIF by Workaholics

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back