News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Bugger, I liked Zurhaar, now I think he sucks

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was a Dockers fan growing up so it's kinda expected? He pretty much HAD to re-sign at North considering the amount of shit he gave JHF for leaving. He backed himself into a corner on that one.

We've earned our fair share of potting for sure, but who asked for a three year rolling analysis hot take off the back of a good win? He's just trying to protect and cuddle up to his Freo audience as they look to be finalists. No different to two seasons ago releasing a heap of merch to make money off those bath water drinking plebs when I think he knew as well as the rest of us that the weight of expectation would eventually fold them.

It was the complete negative outlook on the future of the club and suggesting the coaching role is a hiding to nothing.

I tuned out of the backchat episodes a long time ago. The whole Jack Buckley thing was stupid. Only on the footycast and a few of the interviews, but will look for a new pod for season 2025.

One can dream of duff and quarters again

What was the feeling of the general WA footy fan at the time??
Was it excitement and was everyone too foolish to see that join a bankrupt competition probably wasn’t the smartest move??

It could be described as a complete blindness to long-term ramifications, motivated simply by a parochial desire to get one over "the Vics".

The dire financial state of the VFL was barely even mentioned - it was not a consideration among the public at all. The consensus was that State of Origin had demonstrated that WA players were the best, and having a club of "our own" would somehow put an end to the poaching of local talent by Victoria.

The narrative was the west versus the rest - it would be state of origin every week, with the expectation that WA would finally get to show once-and-for-all that its way of football was superior to that from the east.

Nobody really bothered to care to ask the obvious about the WAFL, indeed any questions of it were seen as positioning oneself into the anti-WA camp - or even worse a Victorian sympathiser...

WAFL attendances fell by more than half within two years of West Coast entering the VFL.

It could be described as a complete blindness to long-term ramifications, motivated simply by a parochial desire to get one over "the Vics".

The dire financial state of the VFL was barely even mentioned - it was not a consideration among the public at all. The consensus was that State of Origin had demonstrated that WA players were the best, and having a club of "our own" would somehow put an end to the poaching of local talent by Victoria.

The narrative was the west versus the rest - it would be state of origin every week, with the expectation that WA would finally get to show once-and-for-all that its way of football was superior to that from the east.

Nobody really bothered to care to ask the obvious about the WAFL, indeed any questions of it were seen as positioning oneself into the anti-WA camp - or even worse a Victorian sympathiser...

WAFL attendances fell by more than half within two years of West Coast entering the VFL.
Was the WAFL already dying? I find it strange that fans didn't keep their WAFL clubs as well as support AFL.

The dire financial state of the VFL was barely even mentioned - it was not a consideration among the public at all.
I’m not sure this was known or not widely anyway. The VFL was hardly publicising that it was a basket case.

I’m sure had it been known it would have been a different story. It was a fairly rushed affair and I’m pretty certain the WA public didn’t know just how much bargaining power WA (esp in conjunction with SA) actually had.

We simply took what was on offer - maybe because some back room operators just wanted to play with the big boys?

Remember the Vic ‘corporate affairs commissioner’ had given seven VFL clubs a week(?) to show why they shouldn’t be wound up. Had we just taken it slowly we could’ve dictated any terms. But the back room operators rolled over. And the vAFL haven’t stopped smiling since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the over under on north getting the blowtorch for tanking like we did when we lost a close one last year?
Essendon maybe?

Whats the over under on north getting the blowtorch for tanking like we did when we lost a close one last year?
Essendon maybe?

Considering other results, I doubt it gets a mention at all.

If it does, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it is in the context of trying to justify that they need more priority picks.

In case you folks haven't seen it, this from the shinboner might pique your interest. He's very good at what he does. https://theshinboner.com/2024/08/11...eback-north-melbourne-blundstone-arena/?amp=1

That was a good read, thanks for sharing

After reading this, it makes what Duggan did at the next centre bounce both understandable and important

He ran onto the loose ball as it spilled out towards the wing, took possession and then hung on to the ball for dear life as he was tackled. Yes he got pinged for HTB but based on what the shinboner has written he’s made sure the ball didn’t spill out loose into open play. He probably didn’t intend to give away the free kick but that was preferable to a north player gaining possession of a loose ball the way Hough did at the previous centre bounce

That breakdown also highlights the many decisions players make and how important it is for them to be well drilled

And why it’s such a difficult game to play at that level

Reading that Oscar Allen was inside fifty wandering forward all alone sounds exaggerated. Then you see the vision and you are absolutely right. It is damning.

I have a greater appreciation for the phrase 'seeing is believing.'
Oscar was very clever. Meandered around aimlessly whilst Gaff was setting up so as not to attract attention and then bolted front & center with his back to Gaff as he was in the act of kicking. Timed it and played it perfectly.

Oscar was very clever. Meandered around aimlessly whilst Gaff was setting up so as not to attract attention and then bolted front & center with his back to Gaff as he was in the act of kicking. Timed it and played it perfectly.
Your description sounds like a shoplifter trying to look normal then bolting once the moment comes.

Your description sounds like a shoplifter trying to look normal then bolting once the moment comes.
Never thought shoplifter would be a word you have to worry about misspelling.
But here we are. If your curious... Y.
It feels like we stole the game...
We need to shower our golden boy with praise.
A golden shower as it were.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back