News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

An article from the HS about the AA side.

The fact that Gov wins 3 out of 5 of the stats, with 1 draw pretty much says it all.
Weitering only leading on spoils.

Also, Kingy and Montagna gave Weitering a clip last night saying "he beats his man but that's about it. Doesn't seem to help others or provide leadership down back".

I'll admit to being biased, but Gov by a mile.

Would love to see him grab his 5th AA.

JACOB WEITERING VS JEREMY MCGOVERN

Like Carlton’s finals hopes, Jacob Weitering seemed a lock for this team a month ago.
Now this week’s clash in Perth between the Eagles and Blues could decide who likely partners Harris Andrews as the other key defender.

Weitering’s case from a narrative perspective had it all.
A consistent squad member that had been consistently overlooked, he was the wall keeping the dam from bursting down back for the Blues.

It seems the flood has come, however.

2024J. McGovernJ. Weitering
DisposalsEliteAbove Average
MarksAbove AverageAbove Average
Intercept MarksEliteAbove Average
Intercept PossessionsEliteAbove Average
SpoilsAverageAbove Average

McGovern is one of footy’s forgotten men, as the Eagles toiled away in obscurity for years, and the premiership hero sat out consistently due to injury.

In 2024, McGovern is back to his best – if not in career-best form.

The eye test still stacks up for the Blue in those 1v1 contests, but statistically, McGovern has the edge.

The Eagle’s ability to distribute out of the backline gives him a distinct advantage over Weitering and as Carlton flounders, it seems their star fullback is set to miss out again.

VERDICT: McGovern over Weitering
And so he should, hopefully the selection committee don't have a total brain fade like they did when they made Lance Franklin captain and snubbed Hurn.

An article from the HS about the AA side.

The fact that Gov wins 3 out of 5 of the stats, with 1 draw pretty much says it all.
Weitering only leading on spoils.

Also, Kingy and Montagna gave Weitering a clip last night saying "he beats his man but that's about it. Doesn't seem to help others or provide leadership down back".

I'll admit to being biased, but Gov by a mile.

Would love to see him grab his 5th AA.

JACOB WEITERING VS JEREMY MCGOVERN

Like Carlton’s finals hopes, Jacob Weitering seemed a lock for this team a month ago.
Now this week’s clash in Perth between the Eagles and Blues could decide who likely partners Harris Andrews as the other key defender.

Weitering’s case from a narrative perspective had it all.
A consistent squad member that had been consistently overlooked, he was the wall keeping the dam from bursting down back for the Blues.

It seems the flood has come, however.

2024J. McGovernJ. Weitering
DisposalsEliteAbove Average
MarksAbove AverageAbove Average
Intercept MarksEliteAbove Average
Intercept PossessionsEliteAbove Average
SpoilsAverageAbove Average

McGovern is one of footy’s forgotten men, as the Eagles toiled away in obscurity for years, and the premiership hero sat out consistently due to injury.

In 2024, McGovern is back to his best – if not in career-best form.

The eye test still stacks up for the Blue in those 1v1 contests, but statistically, McGovern has the edge.

The Eagle’s ability to distribute out of the backline gives him a distinct advantage over Weitering and as Carlton flounders, it seems their star fullback is set to miss out again.

VERDICT: McGovern over Weitering
I think it was this weeks On the couch that highlighted weitering's total lack of marshaling or leadership skills shown in Carlton's back line.

Thanks Hammer.

Sorry guys, this year there'll be:
  • No improvements from Ginbey, Hewett, Chess, Hough, Long and others youngsters.
  • No benefits from having Gov, Yeo, Ryan* (eventually) available.
  • No assistance by adding Flynn* & Brockman.
  • Our rookies won't be able to hold their own.
  • Everyone is still injured and the new S&C don't know what's going on

Damn, what a shame. Well, I guess we come back next year and see what he thinks then. end sarcasm

Look I am not saying it will be a great year, but I genuinely believe he has a bee in his bonnet about the separation from the Eagles, most likely due to his WAFL preference.

Whilst we got belted against Adelaide, it was one of the better 67 point loses I have witnessed for the Eagles, since we fell off the cliff. I am hoping with some soldiers added to that side we an have some much more competitive games.

I don't believe we will win more than 5-6 games, however, I think that is more likely than only winning 2 for the reasons Hammer has mentioned.

There will be games where we s*** the bed and there will be games like the Dogs @ Marvel, where we sit back and go "hello".

Expectations have been lowered, lets just see how we crack in and hope for a sprinkle of luck that's been missing for a while.

Not sure if anyone has touched on it or not, but we’ve officially gone better in 2024 than previous years.

To the drop kicks (like Brayshaw above and Brereton below) that tried to pick the low hanging fruit in the off-season and said we’ll be worse in ‘24 than we were in ‘23, GAGF.

Unfortunately, there is zero accountability in the media. Some absolute spanners get given jobs and are never in danger of losing them.

IMG_5710.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it was this weeks On the couch that highlighted weitering's total lack of marshaling or leadership skills shown in Carlton's back line.
I was going to say they also said nothing about Gov even though he had one of his best games of the year, if not the best.
Then saw it was 360, which I don't give the time of day to, so will ask what did they say about Gov?

Not sure if anyone has touched on it or not, but we’ve officially gone better in 2024 than previous years.

To the drop kicks (like Brayshaw above and Brereton below) that tried to pick the low hanging fruit in the off-season and said we’ll be worse in ‘24 than we were in ‘23, GAGF.

Unfortunately, there is zero accountability in the media. Some absolute spanners get given jobs and are never in danger of losing them.

View attachment 2079972

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I couldn't believe the amount pundits claiming we'd be worse this year than '23. I posted before the season that I wouldn't be surprised if we finished as high as 13th. We may notch up our sixth win this week and considering eight wins and even seven wins has seen teams finish 13th in recent years I don't it was a bad call, and yet was considered extremely ambitious by some. If you listen to SEN, text in and call these campaigners out on their awful predictions

At least Sam Landsberger set him right.

Talked about how powerful a club we are.
Membership, crowds etc.

If we win this week, we've gone from 3 wins to 6 and increased our percentage from below 50 to 70.

North on the other hand have pretty much gone backwards despite priority picks.

Don't pull a crowd, but yeah, we're worse.
***ot.

I couldn't believe the amount pundits claiming we'd be worse this year than '23. I posted before the season that I wouldn't be surprised if we finished as high as 13th. We may notch up our sixth win this week and considering eight wins and even seven wins has seen teams finish 13th in recent years I don't it was a bad call, and yet was considered extremely ambitious by some. If you listen to SEN, text in and call these campaigners out on their awful predictions
I thought 3-6 wins and recall most (on here) were around this mark

Last edited:
I can understand why there is basically no media chatter about us on the main shows. With how teams are going in and out of the top 8 every week and teams that were 2nd and 3rd at the halfway mark are now out of the 8, there is some hot topics to talk about.
But, after our first back to back win, win away from home and first Hobart win in a long, long time I though there might be something more than crickets. Only Gov getting Golden Fisted and HR getting Steel Blue Mark of the week on Bounce is all I've noticed.
Would be interesting what noise would be going around if we only had 1-2 wins and were on the bottom.
Doesn't bother me at all, ignore us all you want.
Looking forward to crickets if we roll the Blues by 5+ goals. All the noise will be about them and the injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to say they also said nothing about Gov even though he had one of his best games of the year, if not the best.
Then saw it was 360, which I don't give the time of day to, so will ask what did they say about Gov?
Kingy and Montagna were doing the Wednesday watchlist and were discussing Carlton's backline.

There's been hardly any talk of Gov.
But to be fair, it was 16th versus 17th so it wasn't really high on the agenda.

I can understand why there is basically no media chatter about us on the main shows. With how teams are going in and out of the top 8 every week and teams that were 2nd and 3rd at the halfway mark are now out of the 8, there is some hot topics to talk about.
But, after our first back to back win, win away from home and first Hobart win in a long, long time I though there might be something more than crickets. Only Gov getting Golden Fisted and HR getting Steel Blue Mark of the week on Bounce is all I've noticed.
Would be interesting what noise would be going around if we only had 1-2 wins and were on the bottom.
Doesn't bother me at all, ignore us all you want.
Looking forward to crickets if we roll the Blues by 5+ goals. All the noise will be about them and the injuries.
I can understand our game not getting much of a mention due to the ladder positions TBH.
Just like the Richmond and Saints game hardly got any coverage either.

Said it previously, we're on a hiding to nothing this week.

These guys always a great listen for WC supporters. Pretty much nail everything.

Good coaching discussion and spot on about our young talent and lack of knowledge from certain media outlets.

Garby has been banging the drum for Montgomery all along, seems adamant he is very interested and no direct desire to return to Adelaide.

Very interesting to see where this leads

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back