News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he did. Looks like once again we are getting a Perthonality to be the next chairperson, and we will get another Perthonality to fill the vacancy on the board
It's a closed shop outgoing chairperson is replaced by one of the existing board members.
In 5 years time it will be that great football person Justin Langer's turn.
We need member elected board members. Have a look at Hawthorn they got rid of Kennet and now have Andrew Gowers
as President. Andrew was a member of their premiership team in 1991.

l

The same board that wanted to give Shuey and Naitanui contract extensions at the end of last year. I don't care how many times I type that on here, I'm not ever gonna get over that.

The same board that wanted to give Shuey and Naitanui contract extensions at the end of last year. I don't care how many times I type that on here, I'm not ever gonna get over that.
To be fair in hindsight Nic Nat with one functional Achillies tendon and no preseason would have still been our #1 ruck.

Hawthorn also moved on tom mitchell and omeara to fast track youth in the middle.

Who ever becomes coach probably needs to do the same with cripps, darling and sheed. I think all would be of benefit in the reserves and called up only when others are injured.

In the middle, kelly needs to shifted out from playing inside. Needs to be played on the HFF and push up. Id rather hall or trew to be played as a main extractor (priddis role) with yeo & reid. The cycle through mids that have been identified for the future

Problem is we have no midfield depth and havent for years. Probably the only reason why petch still gets a game.

Our defence will continue to suffer as long as our midfielders apply zero defensive pressure.

In the immortal words of Tom Barrass, "if someones selling midfield pressure I'll be buying it, at any price" and he did the mad bastard!

Hopefully Gov, Edwards, Bazzo, Ginbey, Hough, Johnston under a new backline coach can be an upgrade on the Gov Barrass plus Rotham, Witherden, Hunt, Cole back 6.

Very keen to see what I'd look like if Kelly moved to high half forward next year, would also be keen to see Duggan or Cole trialed in the same spot or Maric get that position back as well. Probably not going to happen until 2026 as there'd be no-where for Cripps to play, but I can definitely see some combination of trade targets and natural progression among existing players making more sense in the middle alongside Reid and Yeo.

In the immortal words of Tom Barrass, "if someones selling midfield pressure I'll be buying it, at any price" and he did the mad bastard!

Hopefully Gov, Edwards, Bazzo, Ginbey, Hough, Johnston under a new backline coach can be an upgrade on the Gov Barrass plus Rotham, Witherden, Hunt, Cole back 6.

Very keen to see what I'd look like if Kelly moved to high half forward next year, would also be keen to see Duggan or Cole trialed in the same spot or Maric get that position back as well. Probably not going to happen until 2026 as there'd be no-where for Cripps to play, but I can definitely see some combination of trade targets and natural progression among existing players making more sense in the middle alongside Reid and Yeo.
WAFL...cripps will be playing WAFL.

Easy. The Beagles. 😊

Seriously, I reckon next year we give precedence to the ‘kids’. There’ll still be enough experienced players. So Sheed, JD, Cripps and Petro can help improve the Beagles by mentoring.
Waterman, allen and Ryan (assuming not traded) is more than enough experience.

Add Jwill, dewar and long.

I think thats your staring 6, with maric on the bench.

Easy. The Beagles. 😊

Seriously, I reckon next year we give precedence to the ‘kids’. There’ll still be enough experienced players. So Sheed, JD, Cripps and Petro can help improve the Beagles by mentoring.

I've thought that every year, and what I've learned is that in professional sport you either play at the level or you retire. If the club doesn't retire you, they are going to play you. There is really no such thing as the 250 game player being retained by a club to pad out the 2nds. For one the players ego won't allow it, and for 2 the list management team aren't in the habit of spending 2 million dollars worth of salary cap on senior players for the beagles either. Now yes Gaff was the exception to this rule this year and Pyke gave the go ahead to drop Darling for 2 games as a shot over the bow that its time for the senior players to pitch in now Simmo is gone, but both would have been pencilled in as best 22 at the start of the season.

For us to be playing Sheed, JD, Cripps, Petch, let's say one of Witherden or Rotham retained as backup, one of Flynn or Williams missing out of firsts and and possibly Tom Cole as well. Thats 1/3 of this years 22 relegated to "mentoring the 2's" which is a huge cost. It's just not going to play out like that I don't think.

I'm not sure exactly how payroll works but apparently players who are on base contracts- presumably all the guys on their first, and some on their second contracts- also receive match payments. It would not surprise me to find out that you could basically breach the salary cap if you sent half the senior players to the beagles for a large chunk of the season and played the kids ahead of them. I think it's something like 4-5k a match, lets 6 of those 8 senior players lose their spot to a 1st-3rd year draftee next year. Do they get paid less for missing AFL games? I don't think so. But the base contract guys get paid more, lets say 6 of them get played over those players named that's an extra 30k a week maybe, that's potentially 6-700k over the course of the season to commit to something like that. Can that be done? I guess it can because we must of done something similar in 2022/2023 with all our injuries. But you certainly wouldn't go into the season planning to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Shelter podcast whoever it is with Schoey said North had show more than us this year.

How could he possibly think that? Is half his brain smooth? Just a comment that makes no sense whatsoever.
Yeah, bizarre take.

Even with **** all top end talent and an interim coach for a third of the season, we still improved on last year.

Norf, with all their top end talent and master coach Clarkson managed to regress this year.

They're a joke.

Only McGovern and Junktime in the 44 man all Australian squad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well done boys.

west-coast.jpg

Jeremy McGovern
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 All-Australian
Squad member 2015

Jake Waterman
Never previously All-Australian
Never previously squad member

Only McGovern and Junktime in the 44 man all Australian squad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hahaha he’s literally in the All Australian squad and you’re still throwing the insults.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back