Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They were missing Marshall and McEntee. Not really considerable outs when you consider their form this season.

Marshalls averaging 1.2 goals a game
Obviously it hurts them because it's one key forward short and Port had to put Esava up forward to cover for him.

Obviously it hurts them because it's one key forward short and Port had to put Esava up forward to cover for him.
And we had Lewis Young up forward in place of arguably the best CHF in the comp. I don't think anyone can make the argument that Marshall is a bigger loss than McKay without taking the piss. Todd's had a very ordinary season in 2024.

Again Sheezel is a gun. Along with Daicos we havent seen a kid be so good so early for a long time. You are voting Sheezel as better and I think that is very reasonable. They are close.
I'm not voting that Sheezel will be a GOAT, merely stating he has had the better start age wise, in a substandard side within that comparison

But keep using this tactic as a means to disrupt discussion lends itself to accusations of trolling.
Disruption or trolling would be mentioning a current Carlton player, or a random very good player in any of the other 17 clubs

Someone mentions Bont, the response delivered is "yeah, but what was he doing as a 21 year old"

Mention Sheezel and the rebuttal switches to "but what has he done in his 2nd year"

People can't have it both ways to separate criteria, because as soon as they do, it becomes bias

Last edited:
And we had Lewis Young up forward in place of arguably the best CHF in the comp. I don't think anyone can make the argument that Marshall is a bigger loss than McKay without taking the piss. Todd's had a very ordinary season in 2024.
He's still kicked 20 goals and that was a key forward you didn't have to worry about.

I just spent 5 minutes listening to these idiots on Fox talk about Carlton's failure on Friday night without once acknowledging Port Adeladie. Talk about Vic bias. The reason the mids failed is because Port shut them down. Then in the press conference Voss was bitching about the short break. He needs to take accountability instead of making excuses.

Nothing like a 42 possession, 12 score involvement, 11 clearance, 600 plus metres gained, 3 Brownlow vote and 10 coaches vote game from GOATcos to get this thread humming on a Sunday night....
Ahh FFS now the guys on Fox are gonna spend the next hour talking about Daicos.

How does that look when you compare apples with apples?

That is - Daicos with other midfielders and Curnow with other forwards?
How's that relevant?

The poster I quoted was trying to say that Curnow is a protected species yet the status indicate that Daicos is too.

He's still kicked 20 goals and that was a key forward you didn't have to worry about.

I just spent 5 minutes listening to these idiots on Fox talk about Carlton's failure on Friday night without once acknowledging Port Adeladie. Talk about Vic bias. The reason the mids failed is because Port shut them down. Then in the press conference Voss was bitching about the short break. He needs to take accountability instead of making excuses.
The reason the mids failed is because outside of Cripps they're all out of form. The same bunch have dismantled the power mids numerous times, Friday night they just played like shite. Same reason Daicos had been stinking it up the last month.

Form is hard to maintain all year long

And while I'm sure the commentators came across as bias, most of the time it's because they're just **** at the job.

How's that relevant?

The poster I quoted was trying to say that Curnow is a protected species yet the status indicate that Daicos is too.
It is very relevant.

Midfielders are in the play 2 to 3 times more often than forwards, and the best midfielders are scragged at every contest and therefore have the opportunity to receive a lot more free kicks than forwards.

Compare the highest free kick recipients amongst midfielders with the highest free kick recipients amongst forwards, and you get the true picture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing like a 42 possession, 12 score involvement, 11 clearance, 600 plus metres gained, 3 Brownlow vote and 10 coaches vote game from GOATcos to get this thread humming on a Sunday night....

His game wasn't ranked in the top 5 for the weekend, against a bottom 2 side and guess who was ranked 1st, rated 33% higher

It is very relevant.

Midfielders are in the play 2 to 3 times more often than forwards, and the best midfielders are scragged at every contest and therefore have the opportunity to receive a lot more free kicks than forwards.

Compare the highest free kick recipients amongst midfielders with the highest free kick recipients amongst forwards, and you get the true picture.

Nice reach

It is very relevant.

Who do you think gets scragged more? Nicky or Curnow?

What flawed algorithms are you using to proclaim he is the best player in the competition
Basically every person with a public voice who comments on or writes about the game has interchanged between Daicos and Bontempelli as being the best player in the competition over the past 12 to 15 months.

Sometimes, people need to use their eyes to make an assessment, as opposed to a flawed algorithm such as PlaYeR RaTingZ (which I assume you are using).

Basically every person with a public voice who comments on or writes about the game has interchanged between Daicos and Bontempelli as being the best player in the competition over the past 12 to 15 months.

Sometimes, people need to use their eyes to make an assessment, as opposed to a flawed algorithm such as PlaYeR RaTingZ (which I assume you are using).
So, opinions?

I think stats and vision should be paralleled, better indication of effectiveness and impact

Certainly better than MeTreS GaiNed

So, opinions?
Yes opinions.

The opinion of basically every person who is paid to comment on and write about the game has interchanged between Daicos and Bont as the #1 player in the game, since halfway through Daicos' second season in the competition.

Time to embrace it - you're fighting a losing battle and continuing to embarrass yourself.

Yes opinions.

The opinion of basically every person who is paid to comment on and write about the game has interchanged between Daicos and Bont as the #1 player in the game, since halfway through Daicos' second season in the competition.
I don't need to worry about so called opinions, he is a great young talent, but isn't the best player in the competition IMHO and many others see it similar

But, this is a goat prediction thread, not who might be the best player this year

Time to embrace it - you're fighting a losing battle and continuing to embarrass yourself.

And still playing the poster

Could have sworn just about every person in the media were talking about Heeney being by far and away the best player in the comp for the first 3 or so months?

The reason the mids failed is because outside of Cripps they're all out of form. The same bunch have dismantled the power mids numerous times, Friday night they just played like shite. Same reason Daicos had been stinking it up the last month.

Form is hard to maintain all year long

And while I'm sure the commentators came across as bias, most of the time it's because they're just **** at the job.
I think you might have been to biased to see what really happened. Every time Cripps and Walsh got the ball, they had two Port players at times bringing them to ground. When they did get a disposal away it was a poor one. Port really did a number on you guys, and the master play was bringing Esava up forward. The pressure they brought to the game was top tier. You are right in that your next up midfielders aren't cutting it but Port were able to destabilize Carlton by shutting down your two best mids.

In reality if you shut down two of the best mids in a team, they're struggling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back