Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the best way to work out who the best players are is to benchmark them to the best stats (let's say of the 21st century)

So Nick Riewoldt got like 21 marks in a game then that's the benchmark. When you compile all of those stats together you can rank the performance. Then at the end of the season you could have a benchmarked rating able to be compared to previous seasons within an appropriate period.

Again, Sheezel just eclipsed goaties coaches vote at the same age, and the season hasn't finished

Petty would be shifting or narrowing rebuttal responses
The trouble with using very small datas sets like you have here it magnifies the limitations of the assessment

If I was trying to assess Sheezel and Daicos and their AFLCA votes I would add a few more caveats than just age

Daicos 9 months older at career start, plays in a high ranked team which may help

Sheezel If you go just on age and say when they were 19 they got this many votes Sheezel has the advantage of a full season of AFL and preseason

So hold these factors in consideration and the numbers say

Season 1

Daicos 30 votes, 5 matches
Sheezel 24 votes, 9 matches

Season 2 (to round 20)

Daicos 99 votes, 13 matches
Sheezel 37 votes, 7 matches

Cumulative Daicos 123 votes Sheezel 61 votes

So how much does the 9 month age difference explain the 123 to 61 votes and the better v lesser team.

To me I would say its to hard to draw anything other than 2 say there two are the premier 2 players to enter the competition in the last 3 seasons at this point in time and are hard to split. I think the numbers you have used in the above post are just too specific to mean anything. All the data together would only say they are on pace with each other and seperating this early is fraught.

The trouble with using very small datas sets like you have here it magnifies the limitations of the assessment

If I was trying to assess Sheezel and Daicos and their AFLCA votes I would add a few more caveats than just age

Daicos 9 months older at career start, plays in a high ranked team which may help

Sheezel If you go just on age and say when they were 19 they got this many votes Sheezel has the advantage of a full season of AFL and preseason

So hold these factors in consideration and the numbers say

Season 1

Daicos 30 votes, 5 matches
Sheezel 24 votes, 9 matches

Season 2 (to round 20)

Daicos 99 votes, 13 matches
Sheezel 37 votes, 7 matches

Cumulative Daicos 123 votes Sheezel 61 votes

So how much does the 9 month age difference explain the 123 to 61 votes and the better v lesser team.

To me I would say its to hard to draw anything other than 2 say there two are the premier 2 players to enter the competition in the last 3 seasons at this point in time and are hard to split. I think the numbers you have used in the above post are just too specific to mean anything. All the data together would only say they are on pace with each other and seperating this early is fraught.

I think you and I have covered this previously

Carlton posters seeing Daicos hit the lead in the AFLCA Votes

Episode 4 Fainting GIF by One Chicago

I think you and I have covered this previously
Yep then you come back trying to pin point small data sets and try and make it mean something.

2 seasons of AFLCA votes will be better than 1. A full career will be better than 2 years

With smaller subsets of data you will get more and more variable results e.g. Woey or Priddis winning a Brownlow.

If you take time and still allow that all assessments will have some flaws then career Brownlow votes or AFLCA votes sifts out the outliers and you end up with a much stronger data set.

That we have this discussion and then you keep harking back to AFLCA votes and the age 19 either means you are not understanding or being deliberatively mischievous.

Yep then you come back trying to pin point small data sets and try and make it mean something.

2 seasons of AFLCA votes will be better than 1. A full career will be better than 2 years

With smaller subsets of data you will get more and more variable results e.g. Woey or Priddis winning a Brownlow.

If you take time and still allow that all assessments will have some flaws then career Brownlow votes or AFLCA votes sifts out the outliers and you end up with a much stronger data set.

That we have this discussion and then you keep harking back to AFLCA votes and the age 19 either means you are not understanding or being deliberatively mischievous.
I think you have forgotten a previous interaction

Bont (GAJ, etc, etc) stated as the best player in the competition " Yeah but what was he doing as a 21 year old"

Sheezel is mentioned, the rebuttal changes to, " Yeah but what has he done in his 2nd year"

It seems the only response pie supporters will entertain is that goatie is the best player to enter the game, any other opinion is met with a shifting narrative

Again, I think he is a great young talent, but like many others, I don't think he is the best player in the league (at the moment ), nor do I believe he is heading to GOAT conversations (at the moment)

Is it okay that he might just be viewed as a top 5 player of his career?

C'mon AFL. Give Collingwood bottom 4 teams every week then Daicos will easily be the best player ever.

Yet 57 of his coaches votes have come against top 8 sides. Either ill informed, trolling or just have no idea.

Sheezel has just eclipsed his coaches votes for a 19 year old

But again, how do these awards hold more clout in a goat conversation?
Just stop it. I'm assuming you know full well that their birthdays and the drafting rules means that Sheezel will play two full years before turning 20, whereas Nick could only play 1.

Just stop it. I'm assuming you know full well that their birthdays and the drafting rules means that Sheezel will play two full years before turning 20, whereas Nick could only play 1.

Correct, Sheezel's entire first year was as an 18 year old, goaties entire first year was as a 19 year old

So if people want to use age as a distinction in a rebuttal, it's also valid as a proposal

I think you have forgotten a previous interaction

Bont (GAJ, etc, etc) stated as the best player in the competition " Yeah but what was he doing as a 21 year old"

Sheezel is mentioned, the rebuttal changes to, " Yeah but what has he done in his 2nd year"

It seems the only response pie supporters will entertain is that goatie is the best player to enter the game, any other opinion is met with a shifting narrative

Again, I think he is a great young talent, but like many others, I don't think he is the best player in the league (at the moment ), nor do I believe he is heading to GOAT conversations (at the moment)

Is it okay that he might just be viewed as a top 5 player of his career?
I agree Bont I would have as no 1 currently and Sheezel as an equally good start. Anyone seriously disputing that is taking the p---.

At the same time "great young talent" could equally be applied to McKercher, Nick Watson, Jaspa Fletcher or any number of promising young players in the comp. Too generic, think Daicos's career start warrants a more specific descriptor. If you said "I dont think he is the best player in the comp these last 2 seasons but he has to be in the top few" it would be hard for anyone to argue.

It will be an achievement no doubt for anyone to be rated a top 5 player of your generation but with his start hoping for better than that is reasonable.

I agree Bont I would have as no 1 currently and Sheezel as an equally good start. Anyone seriously disputing that is taking the p---.

At the same time "great young talent" could equally be applied to McKercher, Nick Watson, Jaspa Fletcher or any number of promising young players in the comp. Too generic, think Daicos's career start warrants a more specific descriptor. If you said "I dont think he is the best player in the comp these last 2 seasons but he has to be in the top few" it would be hard for anyone to argue.

It will be an achievement no doubt for anyone to be rated a top 5 player of your generation but with his start hoping for better than that is reasonable.

As a Pie supporter, I get it, that you would hope that he achieves greatest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon AFL. Give Collingwood bottom 4 teams every week then Daicos will easily be the best player ever.
HairyO and WalshistheGOAT any chance you fellas are going to get a little subtle with this trolling? Does Collingwood having him hurt you that much? Are you trying to make us enjoy the Daicos experience even more by the bitterness? Just to let you know its working.

HairyO and WalshistheGOAT any chance you fellas are going to get a little subtle with this trolling? Does Collingwood having him hurt you that much? Are you trying to make us enjoy the Daicos experience even more by the bitterness? Just to let you know its working.

If you want a wankfest maybe this sort of thread should stick to the Collingwood board. Its a ridiculous thread which you lot should have never allowed to remain here, and has spawned a dozen other similar ridiculous threads.

Im not the issue here.

If you want a wankfest maybe this sort of thread should stick to the Collingwood board. Its a ridiculous thread which you lot should have never allowed to remain here, and has spawned a dozen other similar ridiculous threads.

Im not the issue here.
Should the people who are paid to comment on and write about the game who have opined Daicos being the #1 player in the game, with a ceiling of the greatest midfielder/player of all time (many of which have been shared in this thread) also keep their opinions to themselves or only share those opinions with Collingwood supporters?

Im not the issue here.
Gone Critical im not one to tell u how to do ur job and all... But I share the thoughts that Hairy listed above.

Everyone knows this thread was designed to just be a Collingwood jerkathon by the biggest troll on Bigfooty and somehow the mods let it remain here. Since then it's just been a back and forth of posters ridiculing Nicky for squibbing, flopping and ducking and a bunch of Pies supporters complaining that posters are being unfairly critical of him.

Should be banished to the Pies board where it belonged in the first place.

Gone Critical im not one to tell u how to do ur job and all... But I share the thoughts that Hairy listed above.

Everyone knows this thread was designed to just be a Collingwood jerkathon by the biggest troll on Bigfooty and somehow the mods let it remain here. Since then it's just been a back and forth of posters ridiculing Nicky for squibbing, flopping and ducking and a bunch of Pies supporters complaining that posters are being unfairly critical of him.

Yet another instance of you only seeing what you want to see.

There have been plenty of neutrals commenting positively in this thread about Daicos.

It's only the vocal minority who are behaving as you suggest, critiquing his every move.

Two of my favourites from the weekend:
'His disposal efficiency was only 69%'... how many other players had 30 effective disposals on the weekend?

'His first quarter wasn't all that because 3 of his 18 disposals were ineffective.'

If nothing else, I've enjoyed your obsessed deranged posting. It's wonderful to know that he's good enough to have a Blues fan studying him so closely to try to find something to criticise him about. Oh no, he exaggerated contact trying to milk a free. How dare he claim an OOB on the full when he wasn't closest.

Im not the issue here.

Love it guys. Love your passion and hatred of the Black and White. Maybe your footy knowledge needs getting up to speed judging by your posting here or maybe Nick has just thrown you off balance.

However I do love that you have gone with Collingwood wank/jerkfest that shouldn't be on the main board. Almost 8000 posts with Carl supporters dominating the discussion. Walshy, 562 posts in a thread thats not main board worthy. Those 2 things can't work together. You have been the biggest contributor to making this main board worthy. Congrats.

Love it guys. Love your passion and hatred of the Black and White. Maybe your footy knowledge needs getting up to speed judging by your posting here or maybe Nick has just thrown you off balance.

However I do love that you have gone with Collingwood wank/jerkfest that shouldn't be on the main board. Almost 8000 posts with Carl supporters dominating the discussion. Walshy, 562 posts in a thread thats not main board worthy. Those 2 things can't work together. You have been the biggest contributor to making this main board worthy. Congrats.

It would be weird to hate a team which went 40 years without a flag and gets them every 15 or so years since then.

Even with all the assistance the AFL provides.

Perhaps the funniest thing is the bloke who seems the most outraged by suggestions that Nick could become the GOAT has the username WalshistheGOAT ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back