Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Could have sworn just about every person in the media were talking about Heeney being by far and away the best player in the comp for the first 3 or so months?
He was absolutely playing the best footy, but noone had him as 'the best player in the comp' based on 2 months of outstanding form.

After 10 seasons outside the top 20.

Noone. Maybe except you.

What in God's name are you even trying to say here lmao??? Playing the best footy = the best player 😂😂😂😂
I'm obviously different to you.

I need more than a two month patch of form before I credit a player with being 'the best player in the game', particularly if that patch of form comes in their 10th? season, a single All-Australian year in their first 9 seasons.

I'm obviously different to you.

I need more than a two month patch of form before I credit a player with being 'the best player in the game', particularly if that patch of form comes in their 10th? season, a single All-Australian year in their first 9 seasons.
But you were proud to anoint Daicos the best player in the comp after 1 AA season in 2023?

Interesting...

What in God's name are you even trying to say here lmao??? Playing the best footy = the best player 😂😂😂😂
Not if it's a sudden rise of a level for a couple of months - because then you have to face an enormously increased defensive focus on your game - you've got to work your way through that and still perform to a high level to be considered the best player in the comp.

The reason the mids failed is because outside of Cripps they're all out of form. The same bunch have dismantled the power mids numerous times, Friday night they just played like shite. Same reason Daicos had been stinking it up the last month.
Love the bolded. It has been NDs low form part of the season the last month, and that you describe it as stinking it up just tells us how high you really rate him.

In that time he has been Collingwoods best player, he will have gone further ahead in our B&F, He has 32, 31, 32 and 24 possies, he voted 2x in AFLCA, almost won the game against the GC off his own boot.

Then this week he is back in form and BOG again.

If that is ND stinking it up, you have him on a really high level.

Interesting to hear SP400 on SEN this morning. Bucks asked him who his best opponents ever were for their ability and also effect of games and effort, performing when counted etc

He picked Lenny Hayes then said Bont and Cripp of the current guys. ND is on that trajectory so will see those 2 in particular as careers to chase

Again Sheezel is a gun. Along with Daicos we havent seen a kid be so good so early for a long time. You are voting Sheezel as better and I think that is very reasonable. They are close. But keep using this tactic as a means to disrupt discussion lends itself to accusations of trolling.
Discussing who you think is a better player in a thread about a potential best player ever is trolling?

Discussing who you think is a better player in a thread about a potential best player ever is trolling?
No Sheezel is a great comparison and I think they are tracking very similarly. Its the technique of the posting

This thread is something else. Genuinely amusing.

To answer the title question though, he absolutely can be the goat. Obviously he isn’t yet, he’s gotta get past sheezel ( 😉 just jokes, settle down) first.

Robust discussion is great and a question like this is always going to be hotly debated but the level of which some want to pick daicos to pieces is a little perplexing for mine. Of course there’s gonna be flaws in the game of a third year player, just as there is in even the most seasoned greats of the game. But what he has done up to this point is nothing short of amazing.

anyway, back to the trolling!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 votes yesterday.

Probably within 4 or 5 of Cripps now i reckon. He's a chance with a strong finish, but they might not win another game.
You'd imagine Jordon or Rowbottom will tag him vs the Swans, Cincotta a chance vs the Blues, ANB vs the Dees

Will be tough going to make up he gap if Cripps goes large vs any of his remaining teams.

You'd imagine Jordon or Rowbottom will tag him vs the Swans, Cincotta a chance vs the Blues, ANB vs the Dees

Will be tough going to make up he gap if Cripps goes large vs any of his remaining teams.
AFLCA and Brownlow generally track very closely. Given Daicos is the leader of the AFLCA and Cripps 4th I don't think you should assume there is a gap between Daicos and Cripps in the Brownlow.

This thread is something else. Genuinely amusing.

To answer the title question though, he absolutely can be the goat. Obviously he isn’t yet, he’s gotta get past sheezel ( 😉 just jokes, settle down) first.

Robust discussion is great and a question like this is always going to be hotly debated but the level of which some want to pick daicos to pieces is a little perplexing for mine. Of course there’s gonna be flaws in the game of a third year player, just as there is in even the most seasoned greats of the game. But what he has done up to this point is nothing short of amazing.

anyway, back to the trolling!
At least you and Nick have something in common - neither of you have taken a contested mark in the AFL in 3 years

AFLCA and Brownlow generally track very closely. Given Daicos is the leader of the AFLCA and Cripps 4th I don't think you should assume there is a gap between Daicos and Cripps in the Brownlow.

One doesn't mirror the other, but it's somewhat of a guide

2023 Neale 5th
2022 Cripps 6th
2021 Wines 2nd
2020 Neale 1st
2019 Fyfe 3rd

What flawed algorithms are you using to proclaim he is the best player in the competition

I don't need to worry about so called opinions, he is a great young talent, but isn't the best player in the competition IMHO and many others see it similar

But, this is a goat prediction thread, not who might be the best player this year

And still playing the poster

Could have sworn just about every person in the media were talking about Heeney being by far and away the best player in the comp for the first 3 or so months?
Just further to the argument re whether Daicos is close to the best player in the comp. Its all opinion based but the coaches are a voice that should be considered. Current cumulative table for the AFLCA last 2 seasons

Daicos 193
Serong 176
Bont 176
Butters 174
Gulden 166
Rozee 148
Merrett 146
Cripps 146
Anderson 141
Dawson 127

3 guns about 10% behind his cumulative total then he pretty much streets the field. I think you need to have him prominently in this conversation.

AFLCA isn't particularly the best guide when it comes to brownlow winners though , is it ?
I think it is but I think you have to understand how its best assessed. Asking 2 subjective assessments to rate individual players in 8 games a week over 22 rounds and expect the winner to be a valid way to assess the validity of the awards is not going to work. There are far to many variable with such a small precise end point for it to end up meaning anything.

Truth is there is no really valid way to assess these thing statistically. In fact virtually none of the data collected by the clubs and champion data has any statistically significance but thats a different topic

What I like to do with the 2 awards to see if they are choosing similarly is to look at the top 10 at the end of the year. Generally they have 7-8 in common which for all the variables involved and the differing assessments makes me feel they are fairly well aligned.

Just further to the argument re whether Daicos is close to the best player in the comp. Its all opinion based but the coaches are a voice that should be considered. Current cumulative table for the AFLCA last 2 seasons

Daicos 193
Serong 176
Bont 176
Butters 174
Gulden 166
Rozee 148
Merrett 146
Cripps 146
Anderson 141
Dawson 127

3 guns about 10% behind his cumulative total then he pretty much streets the field. I think you need to have him prominently in this conversation.

Sheezel has just eclipsed his coaches votes for a 19 year old

But again, how do these awards hold more clout in a goat conversation?

Daicos 193
Serong 176
Bont 176
Butters 174
Gulden 166
Rozee 148
Merrett 146
Cripps 146
Anderson 141
Dawson 127

Brownlow, coaches votes and other 3-2-1 style systems still have their flaws.

It depends on the variability between players in the team.

Unless we're individually ranking every performance based on benchmarks, we're never going to have an accurate representation from voting.

Daicos 193
Serong 176
Bont 176
Butters 174
Gulden 166
Rozee 148
Merrett 146
Cripps 146
Anderson 141
Dawson 127

If you were petty, you'd add Sheezel to your list above.

But I know you're better than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back