Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There were a number of players that played good games in our contest, yes, goatie was one of them
This is correct mate, I don’t have an issue with him getting 5 votes and I don’t think many other do, except obviously Walshy who has to tag in a few posters to get his justification.

FWIW I didn’t come away from the ground thinking there was a clear standout TBH, I actually thought Jeremy Howe was just about the best on the ground.

Agree with this.

Certain 3 for Cripps.

Naicos will poll, just about whether he gets 1 or 2.
Cripps was so dominant in the 1st and 4th and Daicos had some eye catching moments throughout

I think Cripps 3 as you said, Pendles/Nick fighting for 1/2

I don’t think the umpires will look at Cameron as they don’t judge rucks fairly (he is deserving of votes though)

Cripps was getting tagged by Long you say. The same LOng that has played only a handful of games.
Is poor Patrick going to be ok.
Nick had Hewett and Cincotta all over him all night.
They would have put Walsh on him also but he would have lacked the heart to go with him.

Nick had a good start to the game, Cripps had a good end to the game, Pendles was consistent throughout.
The 3-2-1 on Brownlow night could go to 6 different players, depending on how the umpires saw it.
Cincotta didn't go near him one bit all night and Hewett had 33 touches himself

Neither of them tagged Daicos at all lmao

Sorry this is turning into a nuffy fest. We know Daicos got 5 and 0, we dont know which coach went which way. Thats a fact not an opinion. It's really simplistic to go with coach always votes for his player.

its been established earlier in this thread the difference between coach A and coach B for Cripps has been greater than Daicos this year. Saturday night may have evened it up. Nonetheless there is no evidence that any coach is favouring their own player. Whoever wins the award will be deserving but whoever comes 1,2,3,4 and 5 will all have had a great season. Mostly there is not a lot of difference and a system that uses 1, 2, and 3 or the coaches method can never be completely accurate in a first past the post race with 600+ starters. Expecting it to is lunacy.

For myself I would have given Cripps 5 clearly and been closed to giving Daicos 0 than 5 but there will be many different opinions.

Cincotta didn't go near him one bit all night and Hewett had 33 touches himself

Neither of them tagged Daicos at all lmao
Not sure if you were at the match but if you were you would have seen Hewett applying plenty of attention to Daicos at every stoppage, especially the 2nd half. He did a great job to stifle him in the last half and still contribute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if you were at the match but if you were you would have seen Hewett applying plenty of attention to Daicos at every stoppage, especially the 2nd half. He did a great job to stifle him in the last half and still contribute.
Right... So a player actually played an accountable brand of footy? I can understand you're not used to that watching Nick play but it's fairly common practice for any midfielder worth their salt

Sorry this is turning into a nuffy fest. We know Daicos got 5 and 0, we dont know which coach went which way. Thats a fact not an opinion. It's really simplistic to go with coach always votes for his player.

its been established earlier in this thread the difference between coach A and coach B for Cripps has been greater than Daicos this year. Saturday night may have evened it up. Nonetheless there is no evidence that any coach is favouring their own player. Whoever wins the award will be deserving but whoever comes 1,2,3,4 and 5 will all have had a great season. Mostly there is not a lot of difference and a system that uses 1, 2, and 3 or the coaches method can never be completely accurate in a first past the post race with 600+ starters. Expecting it to is lunacy.

For myself I would have given Cripps 5 clearly and been closed to giving Daicos 0 than 5 but there will be many different opinions.
I looked up the votes for gameday and Daicos got best player. Admittedly this could have been from a number of coaches. Each club has their own way of picking best players. So there could be a disrepancy between the coach and whoever picks the best players for the team.

We've never deployed Hewett as a tagger, just a defensive mid. He applied pressure at stoppages and was accountable, collected 33 touches the other way - that's not a hard tag.

We should've tagged him with Cincotta. Dumb coaching.

Nice try but nobody with more than a few brain cells could have walked away from that game thinking anyone but Cripps was BOG. Was clear as day to everyone bar Fly. Then again he has a questionable history with the coaches votes so maybe he shared the opinion re Cripps but chose to cast his laughable votes anyway.
I think it's more likely to have been the other way round. McRae is more likely to have watched that last quarter thinking how the **** can we stop Cripps and hold on. He was magnificent in that quarter. Whereas Voss is more likely to have been focussing on the first 3 when we had control of the game - during that stage Nick was more influential.

Personally, I'd give the votes to Cripps - that goal from the ruck felt like it kept you in it and then his last quarter was magnificent. Plus last quarter bias.

I think it's more likely to have been the other way round. McRae is more likely to have watched that last quarter thinking how the **** can we stop Cripps and hold on. He was magnificent in that quarter. Whereas Voss is more likely to have been focussing on the first 3 when we had control of the game - during that stage Nick was more influential.

Personally, I'd give the votes to Cripps - that goal from the ruck felt like it kept you in it and then his last quarter was magnificent. Plus last quarter bias.
If Voss thought Daicos was winning the Pies the game he would have sent Cincotta to him, as he does with any mid getting out of control.

Has 5 votes McRae written all over it

If Voss thought Daicos was winning the Pies the game he would have sent Cincotta to him, as he does with any mid getting out of control.

Has 5 votes McRae written all over it
Not sure about that. The pace of our forwards was worrying you guys. Might have felt they needed to keep him back.

Personally, I think Nick getting 5 overall was fine, but could have gotten 0 - as we were pretty even on the night - votes for us could have gone to any of Cameron, Moore, Howe, Hill, WHE, Pendles or Nick I thought.

Oh my HairyO Flybags McRae has done it again hasn't he???

Cripps 9 votes so 5 from Voss and 4 from old Flybagger

Nicky 5 votes from someone and 0 from the other

Coaches award has become a farce with Fly in charge of the Pies

Its ****ing hilarious. And the media are absolutely clueless to it.

Surely the other coaches must be pissed off that their award is being treated so brazenly as a joke.

Its ****ing hilarious. And the media are absolutely clueless to it.

Surely the other coaches must be pissed off that their award is being treated so brazenly as a joke.
You’re absolutely right Hairy One. Disgracefully partisan voting by Voss. Daicos clearly in the best 3 players on the ground, yet Voss has gone out of his way to manipulate the outcome of this award by giving him zero votes. Does him no credit at all.

I looked up the votes for gameday and Daicos got best player. Admittedly this could have been from a number of coaches. Each club has their own way of picking best players. So there could be a disrepancy between the coach and whoever picks the best players for the team.
Agreed and we have no way of knowing

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back