Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No it isn't. If Collingwood fans just settled with "he is a very good player" no one would have a problem with it, but this thread is "Can he be the greatest of all time" which is a completely different and much higher standard. If you set the standard that high then you can criticise a player much more than if you say said player is just a very good player.
I can what you are thinking but this thread has got bogged down on meaningless detail, such as arguing stats about 2 of the best players in the comp in Gulden and Daicos.

This thread was started after Daicos's 1st 2 seasons were pretty much off the charts good. Looking at various objective measures its arguable no one has been as good in their 1st 2 seasons. Certainly he is a long way ahead of where all the other modern day great mids were after 2 seasons.

So the question was are we seeing the start of a career that has been so excellent can it translate into GOAT status in a decade or more time. "Can he be the GOAT". He is not the best player going around currently for mine but he is in the argument and his 3rd season has only strengthened the reasons you might discuss him as a future GOAT. Its a reasonable speculation.

End of season 3 he ends up
2XAA
1x AFLCA 1st, 1x 3rd
1x Brownlow 3rd, likely another top 3 finish, maybe a win.
After season 3 will likelybe the only player ever, apart from Haydyn Bunton, averaging 1 brownlow vote of better per game
2nd Coll B&F in a flag year, would have won except for injury
Likely B&F winner 2024
3rd Norm Smith as a second year after coming back early from a cracked tibia.

If he repeats this on a 3 year cycle say through the next 12 years for a 15 year career then he may not be GOAT but he will be the most decorated player in the history of the game easily.

Yes, and according to Champion Data butchering said ball.

They said just last week his disposal at the clearances were not good enough to be in the AA team, which is likely one of the reasons he got shoehorned into a position he did not play in during the season. The AA selectors judged Cripps and Serong as better in that position.
You do realise that despite Gulden getting less contested possessions and more uncontested possessions he has more turnovers than Daicos as well as a worse kicking efficiency right?

Agree. He should have gotten 6-10 votes for that game. Won the game in the first half. I guess Crazy Vossy 🍻 🍻 🍺 🍻 🍺 forgot about that.

Don't be a clown.
He wasn't in the top 5 players on the field. Was well beaten by his direct opponent.
Went at 53% disposal efficiency.
You guys may well have won the game in the first half, but you had a bunch of players that had more influence on the game than Nicky.

You do realise that despite Gulden getting less contested possessions and more uncontested possessions he has more turnovers than Daicos as well as a worse kicking efficiency right?

Less contested possessions makes sense given he is on the wing more.

Also not sure about kicking efficiency as that stat is not on footywire but his disposal efficiency is a fraction lower than Daicos but Daicos handballs the ball a lot more which should raise his efficiency a lot given handballing the ball is usually a lot easier.

In terms of Gulden's kicking though, he unlike most players does not go for the easy kick. He usually goes for much more high risk/high reward sort of kicks which tends to lower his stats a bit compared to the sideways chip kick players.

That is a "good enough" ruck but the truly great ones elevate a team a lot. Being smashed in the ruck is a huge problem, and as a Swans fan I know how much of a problem it is.

The only players I have ever watched against the Swans and thought "we can't stop this player, nothing we can do will work" have been Gawn and Ablett Jnr. No other player came close.
That's nice.

What were your thoughts about Gawn and GAJ as 21 year olds.

Also not sure about kicking efficiency as that stat is not on footywire but his disposal efficiency is a fraction lower than Daicos but Daicos handballs the ball a lot more which should raise his efficiency a lot given handballing the ball is usually a lot easier.

In terms of Gulden's kicking though, he unlike most players does not go for the easy kick. He usually goes for much more high risk/high reward sort of kicks which tends to lower his stats a bit compared to the sideways chip kick players.
The AFL app has it. It’s less than a percent in it but it’s still advantage to Daicos.

Admittedly Daicos’ numbers have suffered compared to last year where he was +10% better than Gulden but that’s to be expected given his changing role on the inside.

I think you don’t watch Daicos if you think he doesn’t go for difficult kicks. He’s constantly taking difficult options and opening the game up. The big thing is he also rarely misses them especially in space. Compared to Gulden who can be a lot more miss.

There legitimate areas for Daicos to improve in. Coping with body contact and being tagged are two but having a go at his kicking is laughable. He’s pretty much the best kick in the league.

Don't be a clown.
He wasn't in the top 5 players on the field. Was well beaten by his direct opponent.
Went at 53% disposal efficiency.
You guys may well have won the game in the first half, but you had a bunch of players that had more influence on the game than Nicky.
🍺 🍻 🍺 🍻 🍺 you must have been hanging out with Vossy that night. Good one.

The AFL app has it. It’s less than a percent in it but it’s still advantage to Daicos.

Admittedly Daicos’ numbers have suffered compared to last year where he was +10% better than Gulden but that’s to be expected given his changing role on the inside.

I think you don’t watch Daicos if you think he doesn’t go for difficult kicks. He’s constantly taking difficult options and opening the game up. The big thing is he also rarely misses them especially in space. Compared to Gulden who can be a lot more miss.

There legitimate areas for Daicos to improve in. Coping with body contact and being tagged are two but having a go at his kicking is laughable. He’s pretty much the best kick in the league.

He does go for difficult kicks, but he also chips it around more than Gulden does too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wont be getting anything over the finals series because your rabble aremt even participating
Well done on scraping in. Guess we will have to be content with watching you get humiliated.
Have fun with the premiership drought.

No it isn't. If Collingwood fans just settled with "he is a very good player" no one would have a problem with it, but this thread is "Can he be the greatest of all time" which is a completely different and much higher standard. If you set the standard that high then you can criticise a player much more than if you say said player is just a very good player.
Sure, criticism is fine, but the fact the numps on here keep on with their boring he is a soft player who cant win his own ball and won a rigged coaches award suggests the tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.

Sure, criticism is fine, but the fact the numps on here keep on with their boring he is a soft player who cant win his own ball and won a rigged coaches award suggests the tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.
Only thing I’m salty about is that none of our F/S have been this good yet

Here’s hoping one of the Camporeale’s or Cody Walker can be a 200 gamer

Errol is a fantastic kick. Kicking efficiency is just a rubbish stat.

You can’t seriously be suggesting that Nick doesn’t take the high risk high reward options with his kicks…

Errol is a fantastic kick. Kicking efficiency is just a rubbish stat.
It’s definitely not a stat to be used in isolation. Errol is definitely one of the best kicks in the league.

I’m not trying to denigrate Errol. I just find it interesting someone would be using kicking efficiency to put down Daicos compared to the ball use of other mids.

He does go for difficult kicks, but he also chips it around more than Gulden does too.
As per usual, you're just making stuff up. In terms of outside kicking Nick's higher percentage is because he goes long to a contest more often than Errol, whereas Errol always tries to chisel it. Personally I think Nick's a better decision maker at this stage.

Last edited:
As per usual, you're just making stuff up. In terms of outside kicking Nick's higher percentage is because he goes long to a contest more often than Errol, whereas Errol always tries to chisel it. Personally I think Nick's a better decision maker at this stage.
This is how I view it

Errol is probably the best combination of elite kicking and aerobic ability

Nick is still very good at both but it’s his decision making that sets him apart

It’s so frustrating because you know he’ll look for a high damage option, so if he doesn’t take something obvious on you know he’s seen something even better

Hard to watch when you’re playing against Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back