No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank for the informative material.

In post 2,576, I asserted that 'They (ABC) should be impartial and accountable.'

Your response, in post 2,597, was to assert that the ABC is impartial and accountable because

(a) its Standards are more stringent than the Codes of Conduct of others; and

(b) the ABC is subject to far more scrutiny than others

Assuming that (a) and (b) are accurate, don’t they set out why the ABC should be impartial and accountable i e stringent requirements and scrutiny ? Isn’t your authority for your claim that the ABC is impartial and accountable the report presented by Kerry Blackburn based on her observations in the lead up to the 2019 election ? That was a limited assessment of one week’s observation in the week before the election. She reported that her review was not a comprehensive analysis and was intended to give ABC editorial managers starting points for discussion. She concluded that ABC News demonstrably seeks and overwhelmingly achieves impartiality. I wouldn’t dispute that, ABC News reporting is excellent, that isn't where its failures in impartiality and lack of accountability manifest.
We're getting off topic, but I referred to multiple reviews of which Blackburn is just one.
FWIW some broadcasters get around Code obligations by broadcasting 'opinion' and not 'news' as they are treated differently under the Code (Sky News being the classic example, who don't broadcast news after 6pm).
Editorials and opinion pieces in print media are further examples.

Regardless, there will be enough chatter about Collingwood's report to keep them in the headlines for the wrong reasons once again.
I thought Ned Guy's disasterous Fox Footy interview after trade week was about as bad as it could get, Eddie comes charging through yesterday. A classic example of how not to handle a report that indicates there are problems within an organisation.

That was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news. Still shits me that Melbourne got 2 first round picks and we only got 1!
Lucky it was Melbourne who have a terrible history with first round picks, especially in the Scully era.

According to Wiki they took Dom Barry and Jesse Hogan with their compo

I thought Ned Guy's disasterous Fox Footy interview after trade week was about as bad as it could get, Eddie comes charging through yesterday. A classic example of how not to handle a report that indicates there are problems within an organisation.
Poor old Ned, who'd want to try and cover up a C'wood fiasco with McGuire on your shoulder. I ordinarily have no time for McGuire but this time I feel a little for him. This issue is a minefield, particularly with your ABC mates lurking 'round, pens poised.

How many times exactly has McGuire made a “gaffe”?

I know the media, politicians etc occasionally make a gaffe, put their foot in it unintentionally.

But how many times for McGuire?

He’s been in the media for 30+ years, it’s not like he’s a novice.

He has definitely put his foot in it far too many times for them to be simple errors of speech

Yes it's bin day tomorrow and the grass is not going to cut itself..
Damn you just reminded me. Hmm bum around on the couch watching the wrestling or mow the grass...... :think:

I think we have to wait 12 months. 2021 is their last shot at it, with Jez Cameron having a hammy and Dahlhaus under an injury cloud too,

Hawkins, Higgins, Isaac Smith, Selwood, Dangerfield - they're all just a calf injury away from being a shadow of their former selves.

I only just made the connection today that they have Cameron, but then realised his replacement at GWS is Jesse Hogan. What a roller coaster of emotions from annoyance to laughter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies supporter Barrie Cassidy addressed the ructions at Collingwood in The Age yesterday:

Interesting snippet at the start:

1612326799349.png

Sadly, that mentality is not restricted to the "special" seats, nor to Pies supporters, but these days can get you kicked out, charged or even face trial-by-media. Or maybe it's still allowed in the "special" seats?

Chris Egan was interviewed on Radio National tonight. He pointed out that Eddie has been given numerous chances, but he (Egan) knows all about not being given chances in life . It’s the clear and understandable inference that Eddie gets rotund pale human privilege

Pies supporter Barrie Cassidy addressed the ructions at Collingwood in The Age yesterday:

Interesting snippet at the start:

View attachment 1050530

Sadly, that mentality is not restricted to the "special" seats, nor to Pies supporters, but these days can get you kicked out, charged or even face trial-by-media. Or maybe it's still allowed in the "special" seats?
Not to quibble, but when did we last play Collingwood at Marvel? (Or Etihad, or any other incarnation?) Have we ever? A Pies v Dogs game at Marvel should be easy to identify. And who might have been the subject of the abuse (considering how few non-Anglo players we have or have had)?

Chris Egan was interviewed on Radio National tonight. He pointed out that Eddie has been given numerous chances, but he (Egan) knows all about not being given chances in life . It’s the clear and understandable inference that Eddie gets rotund pale human privilege
No he just gets Eddie privilege. He bare-faced stares would-be critics down. No one will take him on.

Not to quibble, but when did we last play Collingwood at Marvel? (Or Etihad, or any other incarnation?) Have we ever? A Pies v Dogs game at Marvel should be easy to identify. And who might have been the subject of the abuse (considering how few non-Anglo players we have or have had)?

We play them at Docklands far more than I also thought

8C170ABA-E3DF-4276-AC49-597F4AB9D12A.png

We've played them there 21 times since the stadium opened in 2000. Cassidy attends footy semi-regularly when his schedule permitted, so only R1, 2020 is out.

Hill and Harbrow played vs Pies quite a few times at Docklands. The article only says "racial abuse" though, not specifically indigenous, so could be anyone of numerous candidates:

Romero, Liber Snr, Contessa, JJ, Gia, Harbrow, Hill, Stack, Jong, Liber Jnr Djerkurra, L.Jones, Hamling, Hrovat.

Pies "fan" might have had an issue with eastern Europeans, like Kretiuk or Kolyniuk or Veszpremi, or even the Irish-ness of Trent Bartlett or Bob Murphy.

That's a pretty broad sweep btw. If you're saying anyone with not 100% Anglo heritage, then that would include players like Jordan McMahon, Joel Hamling, Mitch Hahn, Aker, Dahlhaus, Del-re, Grgic, Koster, Vandermeer, even Lindsay Gilbee with his recent confirmation of indigenous heritage. And even further back, Groenewegen, 2 x Huppatz, Delemnico, Zueschner, Petraglia, Pagnoccolo, Perrusich, Bamblett, McLean, Rasmussen, Tzatzaris, De Koning, Vosalaitis, Pleitner, Duperouzel, Buhagiar, Gieschen, Sir, Winmar, Stewart, Skreja, Zeltner, Dockendorff, M.West, Georgiades, Zimmerman, Radziminski, Di Natale, Vilcins, Krakoeur, Jakovich, Gorozidis, Cuzzupe, Tantsis, Pokrovsky, Byrachevski, Phillipou, Cavarra, Sachse - and that's not even a complete list.

(I missed Lipinski, Stevens, Crameri, Markovic, Schache, Goodes, Koops and Dimattina of those that have played at Marvel too.)

That's a pretty broad sweep btw. If you're saying anyone with not 100% Anglo heritage, then that would include players like Jordan McMahon, Joel Hamling, Mitch Hahn, Aker, Dahlhaus, Del-re, Grgic, Koster, Vandermeer, even Lindsay Gilbee with his recent confirmation of indigenous heritage. And even further back, Groenewegen, 2 x Huppatz, Delemnico, Zueschner, Petraglia, Pagnoccolo, Perrusich, Bamblett, McLean, Rasmussen, Tzatzaris, De Koning, Vosalaitis, Pleitner, Duperouzel, Buhagiar, Gieschen, Sir, Winmar, Stewart, Skreja, Zeltner, Dockendorff, M.West, Georgiades, Zimmerman, Radziminski, Di Natale, Vilcins, Krakoeur, Jakovich, Gorozidis, Cuzzupe, Tantsis, Pokrovsky, Byrachevski, Phillipou, Cavarra, Sachse - and that's not even a complete list.

(I missed Lipinski, Stevens, Crameri, Markovic, Schache, Goodes, Koops and Dimattina of those that have played at Marvel too.)
Impressive research. Cassidy does say ‘racial’ abuse and at Docklands so that eliminates your Europeans and anyone who retired before 2000. It would have to be someone of not entirely caucasion appearance. From your list, Koops or Goodes. Others might be Jong, Harbrow, Hill, possibly Faulkner, Skinner, Stack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back