Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2023, part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can a corporation copyright the name of an animal?
Im sure they own the Wb Taz likeness but you cant own the name of an animal.

GO Catters

I'd say if the AFL wanted to register a TM with the name "Tasmania Devils" with a distinctive logo or set of colours, that would be a sufficient distinction from the other trader. It would be clear that it refers to the football team. There may be issues around the use of a mascot on the other hand that is too similar to the Warner Bros character, especially if the name Tasmanian Devil was used?
The cartoon devil is brown, not black, and doesn't really look like the real thing. I accept that the mascot would not be allowed to spin around madly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely even Port people would laugh at that... someone should facebook Cornes with it...

But what will their jumpers be ...

maybe it depends on what their nickname is. .... The Tassy Copperheads... probably has a snake ... The Tassy Marauders/ Vikings etc probably would emphasise the Tassy island link to the sea.

They should open it up the the Tssy people and let them send in entries... do not ask advertising people.

Perhaps a design of mainly something with a T in the design or the Tasssy map shape merging in a T.. sort of like the swans making use of the opera house. but I hope the market department do not get too involved. They usually come up with something that looks good in the shop and shocking on the ground.

Colours...has to be different yet still work.. Maybe mainly Dark. then some away and clash mainly light .. three or four jumpers ... more product to sell.

Interesting times.

They should open it up the the Tssy people and let them send in entries... do not ask advertising people.

Perhaps a design of mainly something with a T in the design or the Tasssy map shape merging in a T.. sort of like the swans making use of the opera house. but I hope the market department do not get too involved. They usually come up with something that looks good in the shop and shocking on the ground.

If they had common sense (which they don't), stick to the basic footy jumper designs which worked 130 years ago and will work now.

So either a V, stripes, sash (South's original jumper had this), hoops, or the Melbourne/Fitzroy style. It's ridiculously easy.

There's nothing surer than them coming up something absolutely awful.

One thing that does annoy me is that the Tassie team will get home games against Collingwood / Richmond / Hawthorn etc.
Problem is, it's a win win for these clubs, no different to them playing in Blacktown or Gold Coast.

For the Big4, games against Hobart/GWS/GC are loss makers, they can't get 60k+ to those games at the G, let alone 25k to Marvel (lol). So they're happy to play those games away because it means they get another home game against a bigger club. AFL also likes it, because it promotes tourism and boosts crowds in these growth areas. I'm sure the Tassie gov would have signed a contract with the AFL for a certain # of games involving the big Melb clubs for each season, they'd be fools not to.

Whereas for us, we're close enough that the big clubs have convinced the AFL to move our home games up to the G to give them an extra one for free, all in the name of boosting crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back