Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Bedford will also miss 3 weeks - after the first two appeals tonight, it's pretty clear that if you tackle & you're opponent is concussed, you'll be spending time on the sidelines

I get the agenda and head protections but what is Bedford realistically supposed to do.
not sling, not forceful, both moving in same direction, arms pinned in a tackle sure....

Impossible to coach and play now.

GO Catters

Reasons:

We find that this tackle was rough conduct. A reasonable player in Bedfordā€™s circumstances would have realised that by leaping at Taranto in the way that he did from behind, he was likely to drive him into the ground.

A reasonable player would have realised Taranto was in a vulnerable position and was being driven into the ground with force, and that Toronto's head may well hit the ground with force.

A reasonable player would have released at least one of Taronto's arms to enable him to attempt to brace for impact.

We find that this may well have meaningfully reduced the impact. As it was, the impact was severe.

Tackle the player with ball
Dont let him get ball away
All with force and momentum to ensure tackle is effective.
Both going to ground - forward
Make decision to see contact with ground coming.
Choose non ball holding arm that is tackling player with ball.
Release arm to allow player to brace for contact.
Let player now braced for contact absorb said contact.
And reapply tackle.

All in less than 1 sec.

Good ****ing luck. Again, the head is to be protected and actions taken to protect player welfare is required. Get the thuggery our of the game %10000.

The off the ball stuff has to go and if Bedford gets 3 weeks then the off the ball elbow gets 6.

You also cannot teach a game one way and expect players to circumvent physics laws that have been and will be in play long after AFL game is gone.

No dog in this fight - but it cant 3 weeks IMO.

GO Catters

Tackle the player with ball
Dont let him get ball away
All with force and momentum to ensure tackle is effective.
Both going to ground - forward
Make decision to see contact with ground coming.
Choose non ball holding arm that is tackling player with ball.
Release arm to allow player to brace for contact.
Let player now braced for contact absorb said contact.
And reapply tackle.

All in less than 1 sec.

Good ****ing luck. Again, the head is to be protected and actions taken to protect player welfare is required. Get the thuggery our of the game %10000.

The off the ball stuff has to go and if Bedford gets 3 weeks then the off the ball elbow gets 6.

You also cannot teach a game one way and expect players to circumvent physics laws that have been and will be in play long after AFL game is gone.

No dog in this fight - but it cant 3 weeks IMO.

GO Catters
Agreed

What i would have done for the 2 tackles and elbow is

Bedford no case or at most 1 week
Cameron 3 weeks is about correct
Elbow 5+ weeks

Too much weight given to the outcome versus the action

Except when finals or potential premierships are on the line. You can guarantee all these incidents would somehow be cleared if it meant the offender would miss playing a final or in a flag.

Last edited:
Agreed

Elbow 5+ weeks

Two were football actions, the other was a cheap, intentional attempt to hurt, yet the football actions get the higher punishment.

Joke.

Agreed

Elbow 5+ weeks
Bed ford a week based on the outcome but the mechanism was IMO about as good as you can be. And he also seesmt os wing his legs away from the forward momentum to slow the forward momentum - although that could be an outcome of Taranto movements too

Either way - 1 week

GO Catters

Agreed

Elbow 5+ weeks
Cameron does not deserve three weeks. One, sure. Three is a ridiculous and the AFL's reasoning was insane even by their standards.

We all better hope for our sake both Brisbane and the Giants are successful in downgrading the bans, because come the pointy end of this season, someone like Stewart or Dangerfield is going to get done for a similar tackle and boom our run during finals is over.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but the AFL would be fine with any player from a non-Melbourne team missing out during finals to make a statement. I bet it happens this year and the club penalised sues the AFL. I just hope it isn't our club that is the victim.

Collard needs to take the 6 weeks and run - seems a little lenient considering reports of how frequently he was throwing around the slur during the match... One week per use of the slur, wouldn't have seemed too short on the sidelines

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the concussion stuff but am I the only one who thinks the pre-finals bye should be a pre-Grand Final bye because it hasn't happened yet but I imagine very soon we will see someone potentially miss the GF with a concussion that wasn't their fault...

I can see the merit, but then you'd be dirty as a team and fan base if you came into the GF hot but had to cool your heels for a week....

I feel like we're not far away from fan sentiment turning against the GWS social media team. Not for any substantive reason or because people are oversensitive to the jokes, but because the likes of Robbo and Gerard are in on the joke now and their players are being interviewed about how hilarious the trolling is.

They're a cult hit that's going mainstream, which means they're getting praise from footy industry figures everyone considers cringeworthy, who are often over-explaining the joke. I feel like the perception is going to shift to "GWS try too hard" quite soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back