Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were people denigrating J. Henry and/or Zuthrie? Seems odd given that Zuth has been a rock all season and Henry's form has been much-improved lately.

Embarrassingly, I never believed in Zach Guthrie. Always felt he was one of those players getting games because we lacked the depth at the time. How wrong was I (insert uppercut)
Now arguably one of the best in his position.

Great to see Henry recapture his best form. Now all we need is De Koning to do similar and we're in it up to our eye balls.

We should go back to that.

The aim of the game is to kick goals.
Sometimes theres threads where people reboot AFL and throw in rule and gameplay changes.
Often people suggest if the ball hits the post and comes back into play its play on and I agree with that one.

But I like your idea.
Rule should be most goals win.
If you kick 11.8 to 10.16 then you win 11 goals to 10.
Only use behinds as a tie breaker in case teams end up on say 15.10 to 15.12. Then behinds are still somewhat important.

Sometimes theres threads where people reboot AFL and throw in rule and gameplay changes.
Often people suggest if the ball hits the post and comes back into play its play on and I agree with that one.

But I like your idea.
Rule should be most goals win.
If you kick 11.8 to 10.16 then you win 11 goals to 10.
Only use behinds as a tie breaker in case teams end up on say 15.10 to 15.12. Then behinds are still somewhat important.
What is so wrong with the behind that you want to completely change the way games are decided after 127 years?

What is so wrong with the behind that you want to completely change the way games are decided after 127 years?
I don’t get the arguments , if the behinds was taken out of the scoring there would be more defensive pressure and congestion as teams will be hesitant to take any scoring shots unless they were very confident of a score

The game is hard enough just leave it the **** alone

I don’t get the arguments , if the behinds was taken out of the scoring there would be more defensive pressure and congestion as teams will be hesitant to take any scoring shots unless they were very confident of a score

The game is hard enough just leave it the **** alone

People just want to change shit for the sake of change, no thought whatsoever to the consequences of those changes.

Same people that whinge they don't like effects of new rules being implemented so want rules to counteract the rules that were changed in the first place.

AFL is one of the hardest games in the World, keeping things that work are a good idea.
Behinds is one of them. Don't give a **** if you kick more points and win, if you allowed your oppo to take that many shots that's on your defence for being poor.

We should go back to that.

The aim of the game is to kick goals.

No the aim of the game is to outscore your opposition.
In no way shape or form is the aim of Aussie Rules to kick specifically more goals

The game has been the same way in scoring since the 1800's.
You want to change that because?....

Last edited:
People just want to change shit for the sake of change, no thought whatsoever to the consequences of those changes.

Same people that whinge they don't like effects of new rules being implemented so want rules to counteract the rules that were changed in the first place.

AFL is one of the hardest games in the World, keeping things that work are a good idea.
Behinds is one of them. Don't give a **** if you kick more points and win, if you allowed your oppo to take that many shots that's on your defence for being poor.
If you can get a F50 entry and take an opportunity to score then that’s the reward and resets the play either way, the removal or the behind scoring would be a cluster**** with the flow of the game with forwards being ultra hesitant to attempt to score and the focus would shift to keeping the ball in the F50 as long as possible to chip around .

If you can get a F50 entry and take an opportunity to score then that’s the reward and resets the play either way, the removal or the behind scoring would be a cluster**** with the flow of the game with forwards being ultra hesitant to attempt to score and the focus would shift to keeping the ball in the F50 as long as possible to chip around .

Spot on, imagine forwards are now even MORE hesitant to kick for goals.
Individual goal scoring has been down for years now.

Here's an idea, lets head**** guys already under extreme mental and physical pressure to be even more nervous/unsure in front of goals.
It's not like team selection, roies, contracts, sponsorships etc are on the line in front of a National sometimes International audience!....

season 9 smoking GIF

Here's an idea, lets head**** guys already under extreme mental and physical pressure to be even more nervous/unsure in front of goals.
It's not like team selection, roies, contracts, sponsorships etc are on the line in front of a National sometimes International audience!....

season 9 smoking GIF
could you imagine the extra defensive set ups where they can concentrate on a even smaller amount of area to stop the scoring …nightmare fuel to withness that kind of congestion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From prison, to winning a premiership (x2), then back to prison.
It's one area where I really think the AFL community gets it 100% wrong. We shouldn't be glorifying dickheads like this guy. He's a dangerous criminal and his actions have caused a lot of harm. Overlooking serious criminal behaviour because you're good at kicking a piece of leather around? It's totally bonkers we enable this on the national stage. 'Decorated' be buggered. The only thing this guy should be decorating is the back of a prison cell door.

Am I the only one who thought Hugh Greenwood retired three years ago?

No the aim of the game is to outscore your opposition.
In no way shape or form is the aim of Aussie Rules to kick specifically more goals

The game has been the same way in scoring since the 1800's.
You want to change that because?....
Because failing at your objective is lame?

In the 1800’s the game was played on a massive field, with a huge amount of players and they threw their hat on the ground to show where they marked the ball. The game has changed in a number of ways.

No one shoots at goal with the objective of scoring a behind. In fact, a team would usually prefer an out of bounds result than the 1 point from a behind.

I am not looking to shoot Bambi here. It just seems silly to me that a team can win when it kicks less goals than the opposition.

You clearly have a different opinion. Live and let live

Last edited:
The AFL is set to honour the leadership and legacy of Australian football legend Ron Barassi by striking a special medal in his name to be presented to the premiership captain on grand final day.

The Herald Sun understands the league has been working with the Barassi family to bring the proposal to life, potentially as early as next month’s AFL grand final, which is set for September 28.

Barassi, who died during last year’s finals series, aged 87, remains one of the most influential figures in football, with his career in the game as a player, coach, media performer and personality spanning more than six decades.

It is believed the AFL has already commissioned a prototype medal with Barassi’s likeness on it.

season 9 smoking GIF
It wouldn’t change anything.

The 1 point for missing a shot at goal is no incentive for a team to just “have a crack”. Teams would prefer to have an out of bounds stoppage than get one point. Defensive teams actively use the 1 point result as a tactic to win the ball back.

Clearly the 1 point means nothing as an incentive to either team.

I can’t believe a half serious idea that I proposed has cause you so much angst.

If you read my original post, I also stated that behinds should be used as a tie breaker in the event of a draw. Ie. if both teams have the same amount of goals, the team with the most behinds wins.

So there is still an incentive to score behinds, it is just slightly diluted. The only time it would have a different outcome to today’s scoring is if a team won a game with less goals scored. Under my suggestion the team with the most goals wins. Which logic suggests should be the case.

It would not change a team’s approach to scoring at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back