Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The player behind the best blind turn in the history of the game announces his retirement

Will the last person to leave Punt Road please turn out the lights?

More retirement announcements:

And this seems bit is an indictment on Preuss - I know he started his career at North, but he always seemed happy to play second fiddle rather than push himself to be the #1 option

Were we ever in for him? I thought it was weird we didn't have a crack when he went to Melbourne to be behind Gawn, its not like Pruess can play forward and he isn't displacing Max.

Hasn't played for the Giants since Rd 21 2022.

He only just turned 29, maybe we give him a call if Stanley retires and we aren't sure Conway is ready. Its not like he will have a battered body from playing too many games.

Saints will revert to being shit house this week.
Nothing surer. Watch them struggle to kick 50 points and watch them fail to lock down Curnow and he kicks 8.

It wouldn’t change anything.

The 1 point for missing a shot at goal is no incentive for a team to just “have a crack”. Teams would prefer to have an out of bounds stoppage than get one point. Defensive teams actively use the 1 point result as a tactic to win the ball back.

Clearly the 1 point means nothing as an incentive to either team.

I can’t believe a half serious idea that I proposed has cause you so much angst.

If you read my original post, I also stated that behinds should be used as a tie breaker in the event of a draw. Ie. if both teams have the same amount of goals, the team with the most behinds wins.

So there is still an incentive to score behinds, it is just slightly diluted. The only time it would have a different outcome to today’s scoring is if a team won a game with less goals scored. Under my suggestion the team with the most goals wins. Which logic suggests should be the case.

It would not change a team’s approach to scoring at all.

Get rid of the draw, if goals are level, then next goal wins no time limit, no interchange

Were we ever in for him? I thought it was weird we didn't have a crack when he went to Melbourne to be behind Gawn, its not like Pruess can play forward and he isn't displacing Max.

Hasn't played for the Giants since Rd 21 2022.

He only just turned 29, maybe we give him a call if Stanley retires and we aren't sure Conway is ready. Its not like he will have a battered body from playing too many games.

No idea, but when he left North we had Stanley & Smith, so not sure we were necessarily looking for another ruck at that time and he may have felt he'd be down the pecking order - but no idea why he chose Melbourne though

A key reason he hasn't played senior football for two years is injury:
  • didn't play a game for the Giants in his first year there (21) due to a shoulder injury that required surgery on the eve of the season
  • since 23 he's battled a series is hamstring & back injures that have limited him to 3 VFL matches the past two seasons

At this stage, I'd happily pass because not sure how easy he'll find it to get on the park on a more a regular basis at this stage of his career - so maybe not a battered body from games, but seems he's not exactly a walk up start either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's always rock, paper, scissors....

Clearly the answer is a game of Aussie Schoolyard Handball, traditional rules.
None of this modern rules crap.

Anyway, been playing around with the Squiggle Ladder Predictor.

Looking most likely we finish 4th unless we can make up a lot of % but what is the path to different spots in Finals?

Anyone with time and a good mathematical brain that can work out each mathematical margin between Cats vs Eagles, Port vs Freo and Dogs vs Giants required to have Cats finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th?

Not really considering finishing 8th based on Eagles side this week but should that day come we may as well check ourselves out of Finals before we get embarrassed further.

Last edited:
Marlion Pickett has retired.

Just back of the napkin, I think I counted 8 players out end of year. If you replace the 8 with kids who turned 18 today then their average age goes from 4th oldest list in 2024 to a list younger than North's 2024 list was start of season. It would be younger than about half the youngest sides of the last decade

Just back of the napkin, I think I counted 8 players out end of year. If you replace the 8 with kids who turned 18 today then their average age goes from 4th oldest list in 2024 to a list younger than North's 2024 list was start of season. It would be younger than about half the youngest sides of the last decade

Could see a team like Richmond throwing a lifeline to Parfitt - they're losing a number of players, so adding a 27yr old with 100+ games could help bridge a few gaps while their youngsters develop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back