Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back of the napkin, I think I counted 8 players out end of year. If you replace the 8 with kids who turned 18 today then their average age goes from 4th oldest list in 2024 to a list younger than North's 2024 list was start of season. It would be younger than about half the youngest sides of the last decade

Even if they make decent use of their picks they are looking at 3-5 years in the bottom 4 like North

Yep, he's gone.

If I was running footy at St Kilda and this really was about Josh having his 'one last time in the red, white and black' moment, I wouldn't have been waiting for the AFL to deny this request.

Unless the banner was going to be decorated with gigantic dollar signs for the game, I guess.

If I was running footy at St Kilda and this really was about Josh having his 'one last time in the red, white and black' moment, I wouldn't have been waiting for the AFL to deny this request.

Unless the banner was going to be decorated with gigantic dollar signs for the game, I guess.
Why be so petty?

He has been a solid citizen at st kilda for a long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big fan of both. Did they ask to run through the banner with their family prior to their final games at their former clubs?
By your definition they are “hardly model clubman material”.

Unless you are of the belief that every player should be enslaved to the random club that drafted them until the end of their playing days, I can’t see why you wouldn’t want to celebrate what a player like Battle achieved at the club and wish him well.

Battle clearly has an affinity for st kilda otherwise why would he want to bring his daughter on to the ground for what looks like his final game there? It is exactly the same at Zac tuohy bringing his kids into the ground for his final game at Geelong. He isn’t a one club player either.

By your definition they are “hardly model clubman material”.

Unless you are of the belief that every player should be enslaved to the random club that drafted them until the end of their playing days, I can’t see why you wouldn’t want to celebrate what a player like Battle achieved at the club and wish him well.

Battle clearly has an affinity for st kilda otherwise why would he want to bring his daughter on to the ground for what looks like his final game there? It is exactly the same at Zac tuohy bringing his kids into the ground for his final game at Geelong. He isn’t a one club player either.
Jez wanted to head closer to home. Danger was absolutely coming home. And they didn't request a send-off from the clubs they had decided to exit, and also signed for significantly less than they could have earned elsewhere on the open market.

And Tuohy was retiring, not heading off to another club for more football. Hardly the same thing in my eyes.

In the end, Battle is absolutely entitled to seek a bigger contract and the lure of big finals. That's not an issue at all. I just don't understand what part of that story warrants the send-off that has until now been reserved for milestone moments or retiring players.

Last edited:
Jez wanted to head closer to home. Danger was absolutely coming home. And they didn't request a send-off from the clubs they had decided to exit, and also signed for significantly less than they could have earned elsewhere on the open market.

And Tuohy was retiring, not heading off to another club for more football. Hardly the same thing in my eyes.

In the end, Battle is absolutely entitled to seek a bigger contract and the lure of big finals. That's not an issue at all. I just don't understand what part of that story warrants the send-off that has until now been reserved for milestone moments or retiring players.
Times have changed. The one club player is becoming more rare every year. Every player should be able to celebrate if they have spent significant time at a club.

Have you ever left a job?

If so, Did you have a send off?

Times have changed. The one club player is becoming more rare every year. Every player should be able to celebrate if they have spent significant time at a club.

Have you ever left a job?

If so, Did you have a send off?
I've left a job before, yes. Strangely enough, I was never invited to run through a banner as I departed, with or without my children. Still, if they had asked me to do so, I certainly would have declined. Just not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

What you're advocating is not entirely outlandish, of course. It's simply not happened that way in footy up till now, as I recall. And I for one see no reason to change that approach. Milestones and retirement still seem to me to be the only appropriate times to invoke the 'family festival' on the field.

Last edited:
If Hawthorn do trade for Battle, and also aquire Barrass, they effectively have a premiership calibre team next year.

Hate that club.
Once every decade they win a premiership so 2025 would be right on cue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back