List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Josh Caddy + 56 traded to Richmond for 24 and 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the suggestion to trade Caddy who was contracted and the club wanted to keep was put forward by Richmond and the Caddy camp. If we're pushing for a premiership as per the trades completed last year indicate then trading out a starting best 22 player aged in their mid 20's for pick 24 doesn't align to that strategy. But ok if Caddy wants out well through gritted teeth ok then. But why agree to downgrade the 3rd round draft picks when we were in the stronger position... Should have been a straight swap for 24 and if the deal doesn't get through it would have been seen as a reasonable request and Richmond would have been seen as being unreasonable and the precious perception of being good to deal which the club seem so keen on portraying would have been maintained.

Smacks of an organisation that has drunk far too much of it's own bathwater. I've thought for a while that their appeared to be an unhealthy hubris that had crept into the club. Now I'm convinced. I think it's time that we saw some new faces in both the coaching and administration. When you're at any organisation for too long you lose focus and motivation. I think we are starting to see signs of that now.

The signs have been there in recruiting and development for a while, we just refused to look at them (and there are plenty on here that would refuse to acknowledge it even now).

I am of the opinion Caddy wasn't going to go until Smedts was moved on. They're very close and it wouldn't surprise me if Caddy got the shits with the club for pushing his mate out and just told them he wanted out too.

Nothing to do with it, Richmond offered 4 years and 200k a year more to go and play footy with his best mate.
These bullshit stories are exactly that, bullshit.

I am of the opinion Caddy wasn't going to go until Smedts was moved on. They're very close and it wouldn't surprise me if Caddy got the shits with the club for pushing his mate out and just told them he wanted out too.

That's very weak and doubt it's true.

Caddy left because of Prestia, which is also a dumb excuse to leave. They'd be like 45 minutes apart with Caddy in Geelong and Prestia in melbourne.

My take is Caddy was really happy where he was, even bought a house IN Geelong ffs. But we approached him about a possible move because Deledio expressed interest in us, Caddy then would've been open to the idea, might've thought "hey, they're willing to shop me around".

Prestia joins Richmond, Caddy gets a few texts from him, thinks "I'll get better pay, more midfield time, play with my best mate, I'm off".

The worst part, is we didn't even get Deledio so why wasn't a deal struck of Caddy was leaving? We're we blindsided? The club and even Joel seemed 100% certain Caddy was staying only a few days ago, what the hell happened?

Fair heck up by the club.
Wells, Selwood etc saying he's going nowhere then not only do we not get Delidio we lose Caddy for 24.
Then on top of that we lose Kersten, Smedts and 2018 1st rounder for 2E when we could of got him cheaper.
Salary cap must of been over the limit next year and we were probably planning on trading Mots all along, and not expecting Jimmy to play well and trigger his contract clause.
Oh well at least I'm not going to be upset as most as I didn't really rate Caddy, but like Touey and Black.
Most worrying thing for me is those in control of the club have really lost the plot in the last few years.

That's very weak and doubt it's true.

Caddy left because of Prestia, which is also a dumb excuse to leave. They'd be like 45 minutes apart with Caddy in Geelong and Prestia in melbourne.

My take is Caddy was really happy where he was, even bought a house IN Geelong ffs. But we approached him about a possible move because Deledio expressed interest in us, Caddy then would've been open to the idea, might've thought "hey, they're willing to shop me around".

Prestia joins Richmond, Caddy gets a few texts from him, thinks "I'll get better pay, more midfield time, play with my best mate, I'm off".

The worst part, is we didn't even get Deledio so why wasn't a deal struck of Caddy was leaving? We're we blindsided? The club and even Joel seemed 100% certain Caddy was staying only a few days ago, what the hell happened?

No we didn't.
Richmond brought up his name, we said no but they talked to his manager, who then talked to Josh himself.
At no point did we talk to Josh about trading to Richmond.

I think Wells needs to move on, this was a smartarse move that backfired....pick 24 when we could've at least got Deledio? WTF is going on? Grab your pitchforks people, Enright and Bartel retire, they then shovel off Kersten and Vardy for next to nothing and throw the Tigers a curve-ball by refusing to take Deledio for Caddy, then inform them we'll take pick 24 instead!!!!!!:huh: What am i missing here?
I guarantee you, whoever we get at pick 24 will not be as good as Brett Deledio. This is a weak draft.

Recruiting manager Stephen Wells spoke before departing the trade talks at Etihad Stadium.

"We were disappointed to part ways with Josh. He's a very good young player.

"He was requesting a trade to go to the Tigers and in the end we were able to do a deal that improved our position in the draft significantly, so we wish Josh all the best.

"The Tigers convinced him that he was going to get some tremendous opportunities there and we thought he had some great opportunities with us as well, and I think Josh did too, but in the end (decided to go)."

They way he is talking it is as Caddy was uncontracted. I look at what Carlton did re Gibbs and it has me thinking what if.

What Wells had to say about Caddy leaving.

Recruiting manager Stephen Wells spoke before departing the trade talks at Etihad Stadium.

"He was requesting a trade to go to the Tigers and in the end we were able to do a deal that improved our position in the draft significantly, so we wish Josh all the best.

"The Tigers convinced him that he was going to get some tremendous opportunities there and we thought he had some great opportunities with us as well, and I think Josh did too, but in the end (decided to go)."

Stephen - you can say NO!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He probably believes this too.

The signs have been there in recruiting and development for a while, we just refused to look at them (and there are plenty on here that would refuse to acknowledge it even now).

Disagree with you both. We have done ok. The signs are there in recruiting for the positive for quite a while too. Stanley, Henderson, Danger, Selwood all on the plus side. Hmac is the only standout gamble trade gone wrong, that I can think of - happy to be corrected though. Pretty much the rest of the trade outs have been neutral IMO.

They way he is talking it is as Caddy was uncontracted. I look at what Carlton did re Gibbs and it has me thinking what if.

What if you were Gibbs at a club who screwed you after you stuck by them during lean years? Or whatif you were carlton paying top dollar for a guy who will play like he doesn't really want to be there?

Pretty easy, if the Cats don't win the flag within the next 3/4 years then the club will be gutted.
Cook, Hocking, Scott, Wells etc would all be axed.
I
The worrying thing is, I don't think that's going to happen. The club values having a positive image and a well spoken coach much more than actual onfield results. I don't believe there is anyone in administration at the Cats with the will to change anything. Carter is just an AFL stooge and Scott seemingly has a secure job problvided he speaks well and provides and occasional top 4 finish. We are back in 1964-2006 mode.

yeah, we did so poorly out of last years trades .............
You reckon they know what their doing?
Going after Deledio and playing games when we couldn't afford him.
Blew out the salary cap so much we had to offload a best 22 player for heck all.
2 year contract for Mackie, trigger clause for Jimmy when they didn't want him to play on and now have to pay him $ for not playing.
Go back a few years, Hawkins apparently not injured until the first final, Chapman starting as sub, Varcoe playing despite being the most out form player I've ever seen.
"Mission accomplished" 2014 then straight sets.
"We're ready" 2016 then game over in 20 mins.
I think even those with a very healthy dose of blind faith would have to admit there's been some bizarre shit.

I think Wells needs to move on, this was a smartarse move that backfired....pick 24 when we could've at least got Deledio? WTF is going on? Grab your pitchforks people, Enright and Bartel retire, they then shovel off Kersten and Vardy for next to nothing and throw the Tigers a curve-ball by refusing to take Deledio for Caddy, then inform them we'll take pick 24 instead!!!!!!:huh: What am i missing here?
I guarantee you, whoever we get at pick 24 will not be as good as Brett Deledio. This is a weak draft.
Dunno if it's that weak a draft but I would've way preferred Deledio than 24.
x100 since we're going all out for a flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back