Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing has also been dropped from the LA 28 Olympics

To be fair, as far as I'm aware boxing hasn't actually been "dropped". They've just been told they won't be included unless either the IBA cleans up its act (which definitely won't happen), or the world of professional boxing coalesces under a new governing body that doesn't have the same issues of corruption.

Hopefully that can happen. There is a newish group called World Boxing that is trying to step in, but they will need most national federations to recognise them, and early enough to get on the schedule.

I don't know if Gunn's PhD was government funded. The majority of PhD candidatures are University funded these days. Not sure when she got hers though. It was easier to get government funded ones 20 years ago.

Either way, the funding produced the Oceania champion so that's probably a win!

It's hilarious how silly her moves looked, but let's be real here, she's not the issue. She was the best we had, so she got to compete. The issues are (a) we clearly didn't take the sport seriously, and (b) it's a stupid sport.

How many people can say they've represented their country at the Olympics? Good on her.
She can’t be the best we had, surely she didn’t know the criteria being judged either.
No one could get all zeros 3 x if they tried to do it badly.
IMO it’s absolutely on her.

Breakdancing has been officially dropped from the Olympics. Ice dancing is a thing in the winter Olympics. I can only assume the summer Olympics is trying to find a technical equivalent they can use. Plenty of highly regarded dance styles out there that have had international competitions for decades.
I reckon the IOC are trying to get more of the "youth" into watching the Olympics.

So they bring in sports that were popular in the 80s, popular when my age bracket was the "youth".

Skateboarding, BMX and breakdancing.

Given the time lag, fully expect Fortnite to be an Olympic event for the 2044 download.jpg

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

She can’t be the best we had, surely she didn’t know the criteria being judged either.
She is the best female who competed in the qualifying tournament.

No doubt countless better breakers in other competitions and/or the overall community. But she won the competition that mattered.

She is the best female who competed in the qualifying tournament.

No doubt countless better breakers in other competitions and/or the overall community. But she won the competition that mattered.

Wasn’t it judged by her husband though?
And then she completely missed the mark at the Olympics, to get all zeros shows she wasn’t just bad at it, it wasn’t what they were looking for either.

Wasn’t it judged by her husband though?
And then she completely missed the mark at the Olympics, to get all zeros shows she wasn’t just bad at it, it wasn’t what they were looking for either.
Nah, she was bad.

I watched both comps male and female, Raygun was bad compared to her opposition.

One of the judges did suggest she was good, but lost on the voting technicality. But that was after the ridicule.

If it was diving, Raygun basically stood on the diving board and "bombed" into the pool. Great fun in your backyard pool, but not in a competition.

Yep, the process to qualify her was dodgy.

J-Attack the Aussie 16 year old was pretty good. Was not out of place at all.

I thought the actual event was fun to watch. But not Olympics worthy.

I'm not 100% sure how the score system works. Does her getting zeros mean that they literally all gave her a score of zero on every dance? Or does it just mean that each judge gave her a lower score they they gave her opponents? I am assuming it's the latter.

I'm not 100% sure how the score system works. Does her getting zeros mean that they literally gave her a score of zero? Or does it just mean that each judge gave her a lower score they they gave her opponents? I am assuming it's the latter.
The way I’ve read it each judge gave her zero 3 times?

The way I’ve read it each judge gave her zero 3 times?
Given that each score is a round number, and yet the judging criteria has five different categories with tiny little percentage deductions for various things, I think the score being reported just corresponds to how many judges gave her more points than her opponent. Like if the score was 1-5 then one judge thought she was better and 5 thought she was worse.

It just doesn't seem realistic that her opponents got a score of exactly 18 each time if it's an actual subjective score. It seems much more likely that the 18 corresponds to the number of judges who gave them higher points.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's worth noting that three other Australian competitors also tried qualifying via an international event after the Oceania qualifier. And they all finished the bottom 3 of 40 there. It's not definitive proof that they were as poor as Raygun. But it is consistent with the hypothesis.

Given that each score is a round number, and yet the judging criteria has five different categories with tiny little percentage deductions for various things, I think the score being reported just corresponds to how many judges gave her more points than her opponent. Like if the score was 1-5 then one judge thought she was better and 5 thought she was worse.

It just doesn't seem realistic that her opponents got a score of exactly 18 each time if it's an actual subjective score. It seems much more likely that the 18 corresponds to the number of judges who gave them higher points.
According to the olympics site. each round gets 9 points distributed between the two competitors. https://olympics.com/en/news/breaking-breakdancing-rules-format-moves

So the best possible case is that overall the judges thought her opponent was over 8 times better than her in each round. (allowing for some rounding up)

According to the olympics site. each round gets 9 points distributed between the two competitors. https://olympics.com/en/news/breaking-breakdancing-rules-format-moves

So the best possible case is that overall the judges thought her opponent was over 8 times better than her in each round. (allowing for some rounding up)

I'm still not convinced this is right. I think the score we actually saw just corresponds to how many judges gave her opponent more points than her. I was watching some other matches and it just looks like the "score" is just a bunch of boxes that go one colour or another. I.e. did each judge score the competitor in red higher, or the competitor in blue higher.

Let's say we're in a one-on-one diving competition with ten judges. I do my dive and every single judge gives me 7.5. You do your dive and every single judge gives you 8.0. Then the final score is 0-10. That doesn't mean I was garbage... just that all ten judges thought you were better than me.

In years to come will Hollywood make a movie on this just like the Eddie the Eagle movie.
Scene 1.

tenor.gif

I'm still not convinced this is right. I think the score we actually saw just corresponds to how many judges gave her opponent more points than her. I was watching some other matches and it just looks like the "score" is just a bunch of boxes that go one colour or another. I.e. did each judge score the competitor in red higher, or the competitor in blue higher.

Let's say we're in a one-on-one diving competition with ten judges. I do my dive and every single judge gives me 7.5. You do your dive and every single judge gives you 8.0. Then the final score is 0-10. That doesn't mean I was garbage... just that all ten judges thought you were better than me.
That seems correct.

Each round is judged by nine judges against five criteria. The judging system produces a vote for each judge for each round in favour of one of the athletes (red or blue), with a percentage figure indicating the strength of their vote in favour of red or blue across all five criteria. The possible vote scores for each round can be 9-0, 8-1, 7-2, 6-3 or 5-4 in favour of an athlete.
Doesn't look like we see the percentages.

Or a direct quote:
Speaking ahead of the closing ceremony, breaking head judge Martin Gilian, who performs as MGbility, said the score wasn’t a sign she did terribly, and said the breaking community “definitely stands behind her”

MGbility said there are five criteria the judges look at when making a decision, and Raygun’s level was “maybe not as high” as that of her competitors.

“But again, that doesn’t mean that she did really bad. She did her best. She won the Oceania qualifier,” he said.

“Unfortunately for her, the other B-girls were better”

Remove this Banner Ad

Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back