Oppo Camp Pert is Melbourne's New Ceo

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please provide a lowdown of how Pert is regarded? He appeared to be rated highly for a long time but grew stale in the Pies role. Improvement on field has come since he left, is that a coincidence?
It's no co-incidence - he had a reputation for getting over involved in football matters - you're most welcome to him

He was basically a good CEO at Collingwood & left the club in a stronger financial position.
The knock being, stayed too long, perhaps spread his tentacles too far & wide.
The change was required at Collingwood.
He will go well at Melbourne.

Coaching legend Michael Malthouse slams Melbourne’s appointment of Gary Pert
Jay Clark, Herald Sun
25 minutes ago
Subscriber only
COACHING legend Michael Malthouse has revealed his bad blood with Gary Pert and said he was surprised Pert landed Melbourne’s new chief executive role.

In a stunning broadside, Malthouse admitted he and Pert “didn’t get on” during their final years at Collingwood together because Pert “threw his lot in with Nathan (Buckley) early”, making things for Malthouse “very, very difficult”.

Pert was moved on from Collingwood last year and will replace Peter Jackson as Melbourne’s new chief executive this year.

NEW GIG: PERT TO TAKE TOP JOB AT DEES

LATEST NEWS: FOLLOW ALL THE LATEST FOOTY NEWS

Malthouse said he believed Collingwood was better off for his departure.

“There just seemed to be, from what I can gather, a bit of relief from (Collingwood) staff,” Malthouse said.

“I heard they were pleased that he went, put it that way.”

While Melbourne president Glen Bartlett last night said he was thrilled with Pert’s appointment, Malthouse was less certain about the move, given Collingwood’s off-field problems in recent years.

749457df6c6f7dda37ff122d129bc3e4

Gary Pert after stepping down as Collingwood CEO last year. Picture: AAP Images
Collingwood missed finals for the past four years, helping prompt a thorough review of the whole club under respected businessman Peter Murphy and footy boss Geoff Walsh.

The Pies (8-4) have since launched back up the ladder this year and are on track for a September berth under Buckley.

Malthouse said there was some “hostility” around Pert’s position at the club last year.

“I’m just interested with the way he left Collingwood for a start-off, and that he finds himself in a position of getting that job at Melbourne virtually straight-off because there was a lot of hostility when he left and a lot of things they said they needed to get right,” Malthouse said on ABC radio.

“So to bring a person back into the game that quick, unless those things were pointed out that he could turn around.

3fb8faa0f2f1a90a624e2cc1da14ee01

“I’ve got to say I’m very surprised because there was a fair bit in house that I don’t think was very nice and was not said about him a lot of things were attributed to his failings, and why Collingwood were failing.

“Not necessarily on the ground, but the mix with the women’s comp and the membership and sponsorship and falling attendances and all that.

“You can’t blame one person for all of those things but it wasn’t a great wrap if you like coming from inside the club filtering out in my case, so I’m surprised.”

Pert and Collingwood president Eddie McGuire oversaw Collingwood’s controversial succession plan which arranged for Malthouse to hand over the coaching reins to Buckley at the end of 2011.

28afca0cdf7e010ca9e70a6e65c5e265

Gary Pert, Mick Malthouse and Nathan Buckley watch on after the 2011 Grand Final loss.
McGuire said this morning it was no secret Pert and Malthouse didn’t see eye to eye.

“Mick Malthouse, did he have a falling out along the way and did ‘Perty’ have a similar fractious relationship at Collingwood for a number of years? Yes,” McGuire said on Triple M.

“Was it fractious during the great years? Yes, it was.

“Was it fractious after the great years at Collingwood? Yes it was.

“Do they like each other? No they don’t, let’s be honest about it.”

But McGuire said they both made huge contributions to Collingwood’s on and off-field success, in particular, in 2010-11.

McGuire said football clubs needed strong characters to perform.

3fb8faa0f2f1a90a624e2cc1da14ee01

“Some of that (friction) was planned, to be absolutely honest,” McGuire said.

“When you have a football department which is strong, sometimes you need to have an administration which is strong as well and Gary Pert being a champion footballer and a well-placed administrator was positioned into the football department at times to make sure everything was going the right way.

“As the president of the club, you sometimes position people into situations.

“Yeah, there was no doubt there was some friction there along the way and agreements made and falling out along the journey in the succession plan.

“That’s been and gone.

“I don’t mind it because that’s Mick’s point of view and it is as honest as you will get from anyone.”

28f57e96b5eebc619d3fd97e050580ae

Mick Malthouse has spoken about his relationship with Gary Pert.
Collingwood won the flag in 2010 and were beaten by Geelong in the 2011 Grand Final.

Malthouse said he had a strained relationship with Pert.

“It’s easy to pot from the outside but internally when I was there, no we didn’t get on, that’s just a simple fact of life,” Malthouse said.

“He threw his lot in with Nathan very early, I was pushed to the background and found things very difficult, very, very difficult.

“That’s more a personality thing and in his case he helped with Nathan’s development and that’s the way it is, but I’m surprised he got a job so quickly back in the football industry.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/b05c8d4655b1e3c875dee50263f9d380

That sounds better, apparently the same happened with Jackson at Essendon and he's been great at Melbourne
i think that you summarized it early in your post. he has his pros and cons like anyone. he Became perhaps a little stale a the club and in his role which can happen to anyone. he is a good operator / ceo but i Think that at times he tried to wear to many hats and perhaps should just have hidden in the background a little more and keep to the admin side as opposed to the football side..

having said that it may have also been circumstantial given the revolving doors in our football department with Malthouse / Eade / Balme / walsh and gubby allen coming in and out as football manager type roles so he may have been forced to assist in areas that he otherwise may not have.

Melbourne are doomed
....even before Pert took the reigns.

I think Pert will do a good job at Melbourne, he wasn't a player there and hopefully can concentrate on the Administration rather than the football and players. Leave that to those who are paid to do that.

In this case it's actually good to get the point of view of a former insider. Until now it's been mainly based on rumour.

I am talking about that selfish prick making it about him AGAIN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why doesn't Salty Malty just STFU!
He’s got the Rudd Abbott disease.

Snipe snipe snipe.

The thing is it just makes him look like a dill. And a big sook.

Better to just say nothing or if he must say something, a simple “wish him well.”

Pert was alright at keeping the money rolling in. But he played far too active a roll in the football department which he had no right to. It contributed to dysfunction. His leaking of stories to the media was downright grubby and damaging. I dislike Pert a lot because of those. It was disloyal. The rumours of him being a difficult character to work with are just those, rumours. I'm glad we've moved on.

Probably drove some players away from the Club

Gee when Mick Malthouse hates, he hates forever.

To err is human, to forgive divine. Perhaps we can be grateful that Mick clearly isnt divine (whatever he may think).

Why doesn't Salty Malty just STFU!

$$$$$$$.

Got to justify the media career although you do wonder just how much $$$$ do people actually need.

He was basically a good CEO at Collingwood & left the club in a stronger financial position.
The knock being, stayed too long, perhaps spread his tentacles too far & wide.
The change was required at Collingwood.
He will go well at Melbourne.
Totally agree!! Pert was good in his first few seasons but from about 2016 when we started making losses then the club new he was their too long. Will do well for Melbourne as long as he goes no way near your footy department and only ticks to ceo stuff!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Pert is Melbourne's New Ceo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back