Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Essendon Rd 11 - Season Over Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Even in 2018 we had shitty depth. IIRC we had a few A-graders go down midseason and proceeded to lose 3 in row. Thank fu** we turned it round.

Our development coaches have been getting money for jam for as long as I can remember.
Don’t think it was ever the mids though was it? 2018 was the only time our entire starting midfield got a good consistent crack at it with NN in the side (obviously not the finals series but the season was set up well before then when he was available). It’s clear as day what the issue is, we’re a system based side with very large and important chunks of said system, missing. I think we always knew we were lucky to have Shuey and Yeo be so durable over the years and knew it wasn’t going to take much for it to all fall in a heap if we were missing either or both of them for a large period.

Our gameplan is very champagne football but it works with the guys we have, and I think that’s the entire point. The gameplan is built around our best players and when they aren’t there it’s going to fall to shit. The chemistry loss cant be understated, you get a feel for who’s going to be where and when they’re going to be there when you play a lot of football together, if we’re rotating injured players weekly then there’s zero consistency and trust among the players.

We were really lucky to have won the "free flowing" GF in 2018 (according to Paul Roo, he has not seen a GF as free flowing as the 2018 one) as the current WCE team does not know how to (or is not willing to) deal with the game of "contact" football.

Last edited:
Positive:
the medical sub ensured we were not down a player for three quarters, Waterman gave up more than he offered but he was there.
You got through ok it seemed and his big body was obviously useful.
We traded Kelly in.

Negative - two injuries next; week for Allen?? and who knows for Kelly (2-6? at best).
As a team nobody worked hard off the ball.
Ryan in particular but many forwards apply no pressure buy working hard.
With Kelly out our mid group was C grade. Bombers were B+ perhaps
JK is aging and moves poorly, he now offers no pressure.
Our talls were beaten in the air badly.
Ruck was not dominant at all.
Allen was showen up in defence by young quality - he needs to lear forward craft and leave it at that.

I suspect many of our fan boy favorites are greatly over rated. We need to look to rebuilding.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we never recovered from game 1, 2019 v Brisbane.

It was un eagles like, an away game, premiership hangover.... all the excuses in the world.

Each horrific game since then has been, "they learned some lessons, wait for the next game".

It's time to regenerate for the next tilt.

- Kelly & Allen injuries.

+ Allen gets an extended break with the bye after next round to rest his banged up body in addition to his concussed brain.

- Our unbelievable lack of ground ball players.

Was focusing on the final quarter and was simply angry and pissed off at how many players didnt bend their backs, lean down, put their head over the ball to pick it up.

At one stage counted 7 non efforts in a row until Sheed did it and we got control for a few seconds.

Our lack of ground players is a glaring deficency. We seem to focus everything on marking and keepings off. Very little focus on ground ball, contested footy or taking territory when we can or should.

What a mess.

Simmos in trouble soon if he doesn't accept and work on some home truths.

In his shoes, I'd be going to the board with a 4.5 year plan: need more short term pain in changing the game plan mid season and need to regenerate the list for a few years.

If he keeps staying the same course, he'll get knifed and rightfully so.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we never recovered from game 1, 2019 v Brisbane.

It was un eagles like, an away game, premiership hangover.... all the excuses in the world.

Each horrific game since then has been, "they learned some lessons, wait for the next game".

It's time to regenerate for the next tilt.

Having watched the Lions live the last two weeks the way they play and the passion they have against what we play with is chalk and cheese… they have some kids who believe they belong at the level and some outcasts from other clubs who work for each other….

Whoose our Mitch Robinson ffs who will barrel packs and do the hard stuff yet still kick goals and lay bumps tackles and shepherds?

Watching GWS I couldn’t help but ask the wife how the hell we lost to them…seems pretty clear. Old guys content with themselves and mid rangers who are just plain ordinary with no football brain or heart amongst them…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

E2jkm8_VoAIxbeP

View attachment 1140943

According to AFL Ratings Phillips had about a third of the impact of Naitanui.
According to Champion Data he had about half.
Suffice to say Phillips' game was not comparable to Naitanui's impact on the game.
Stop making things up.
Hahaha, but my point was around the ground. Nic had impact in his usual areas ruck taps to advantage, tackles, contested possessions. So yes he'll score well in ranking points, but he got exposed defensively. Phillip's took 7 marks around the ground, most in packs where Nic was jogging to get to the contest. Those marks were huge for the bombers, just needed Nic to put a big spoil in.
He had a good game playing to his strengths, but his weaknesses got exploited. So I can't say I thought he was best on ground, as mentioned his man had impact and let's face it Phillips isn't even good. I never said Phillip's had more impact than Nic, so stop making thing up, just that Phillips had way more than he should've.

Surely, this game finally puts to bed the theory that travel is our main problem.

Um our main problem is injuries and players returning from injury who lack match fitness and touch.

Planets all aligning for a 'time to tank' and get a top 10 pick for the 1st time in decades.

We’re desperately lacking a Hart/Wirrpanda type defender. Someone that can carry the ball out of defence and set up play through the corridor.

Shepherd doesn’t seem to be playing this role anymore. Maybe he needs to be playing closer to goal.

I think young Johnson was probably ear tagged for this role, but he doesn’t seem to have developed as hoped.

Cole isn’t good enough ball-in-hand to do it and neither is Nelson. They’re probably not quick enough anyway.

Can Petruccelle do it? He’d be my pick of the players currently on the list. Realistically, I can’t see a place for him in the team, if we have most of our small forwards available. I’d send him back to the twos and develop him for the back pocket.

I don’t think we stand to lose much if anything in trying this and the potential upside is huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The narrative that we were two down is total BS, we were only 1 down, we replaced Kelly with Waterman, and yes i get it's not a like for like but that is the call by the match committee to pick a tall over a mid.

We were only down 1 player when Oscar went out, and let's be honest he wasn't going great guns at the time, the idea that we were down two players is just an excuse to hide behind a poor performance again, and our accuracy kept us in the game in the first half pure and simple, even then they were working harder than us.

What I would love to see is a focus on four aspects of the game:

1. Attack the football at all costs. Make winning the contested ball the no.1 priority.
2. Look forwards and upwards as soon as you obtain the football rather than sideways or backwards.
3. Play on as much as possible.
4. When the opposition have the ball actually man-up. Be accountable for an opponent and don't stand 10 metres away from him.

The narrative that we were two down is total BS, we were only 1 down, we replaced Kelly with Waterman, and yes i get it's not a like for like but that is the call by the match committee to pick a tall over a mid.

We were only down 1 player when Oscar went out, and let's be honest he wasn't going great guns at the time, the idea that we were down two players is just an excuse to hide behind a poor performance again, and our accuracy kept us in the game in the first half pure and simple, even then they were working harder than us.
Its the quality of the players. We lost our best mid and Allen was structurally important.

We’re desperately lacking a Hart/Wirrpanda type defender. Someone that can carry the ball out of defence and set up play through the corridor.

Shepherd doesn’t seem to be playing this role anymore. Maybe he needs to be playing closer to goal.

I think young Johnson was probably ear tagged for this role, but he doesn’t seem to have developed as hoped.

Cole isn’t good enough ball-in-hand to do it and neither is Nelson. They’re probably not quick enough anyway.

Can Petruccelle do it? He’d be my pick of the players currently on the list. Realistically, I can’t see a place for him in the team, if we have most of our small forwards available. I’d send him back to the twos and develop him for the back pocket.

I don’t think we stand to lose much if anything in trying this and the potential upside is huge.
What part of Johnson’s development has been disappointing? He’s done his best this year in an absolute rabble at the Beagles and can hold his head high.

What I would love to see is a focus on four aspects of the game:

1. Attack the football at all costs. Make winning the contested ball the no.1 priority.
2. Look forwards and upwards as soon as you obtain the football rather than sideways or backwards.
3. Play on as much as possible.
4. When the opposition have the ball actually man-up. Be accountable for an opponent and don't stand 10 metres away from him.
Lots of talk about game plan etc. It is not game plan to allow a dangerous forward 30m at a ball up in their forward half. It is effort. You are allowed to make it hard for the oposition. Do our small defenders not know or not care?

we don't have a plan B
This. Our Plan A is superb while it's working, but it's fragile, and now oppositions know it can be cracked. If we lack some personnel, or conditions are against us, or the opposition has matched up well - we are ground down, then overrun. Sure, we have a lack of depth in the midfield, but we also have a lack of depth in our tactical thinking.

I like Petruccelle's handballing. Not necessarily in that it's always pinpoint, but he knows where the dangerous space is that our players have access to and he puts it there. It's often a forward handball that really opens things up and gives us avenues that are hard to defend. #basketballbackground

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Essendon Rd 11 - Season Over Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back