Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Most people would have noticed Oscar Allen going in the backline to provide a extra body in defense. Pretty sure we have a tactic or idea to switch Waterman/Allen to defense to give Gov and Barass small breaks. No point in having too many midfield rotations for us really if we want to play down the wings. More important for Gov and Barass to cover max territory and have the rest to come back on and do that

Good to get a first up win, even if it was a struggle against a team I thought we should have been able to beat at home easing up over the line (taking into account shuey and Yeo's absences).

Must be said Gold coast are an improving team, and have always started seasons better than they've finished them, once their young bodies have fatigued.

Just to dwell on two negatives, mainly because their the key two negs that have come up consistently since the flag.

Too little doing too few. Vardy, Petch, Nelson, Ryan, Cripps, Gaff, Duggan were all largely pretty anonymous. There's names on that list that don't often feature (Ryan, Gaff) and Duggan will take a little time to adjust to life if the midfield.

But still, we got very little from our bottom tier and against the top teams you'll get burnt if you're playing 17 or 18 against their 21 or even 22.

Secondly, when the game is played on our terms we look great, which is to be expected of a team in flag mode. But when it's not on our terms, there's not enough fight to kill the opposition momentum and bring it back to us. We kick so few goals against the run of play. Not sure how you'd quantify such a stat, but gee we'd have to be right down the bottom of the pile for this one.

Our backline held up real well, but from half way through Q1 to 3QT (or, more accurately just after gold coast goal early in the fourth) the Suns had the run of play probably 65/35. We had one run of consecutive goals, split by the half time break so wasn't really a momentum swinger. They had consecutive goals in each quarter including three on the bounce in the third. If the opposition have that sort of momentum for so long... There's only so long any backline can hold up against that when playing the top teams.

We did ok-ish at slowing the game down and not letting them run away with it. But 2.5 quarters to wrest it back into our favour and get on top is way too long.

Last edited:
Well, clearly GCS aren't an average team, their run+flow+angles+transition is a joy to behold.
This now seems to be the standard game style going around.
Eagles had two purple patches at the beginning and the end, with a big brown patch through the middle of the game.
+ Team got to blow out the rust, get the points and realise their weaknesses hopefully.
+ Rotham belongs; Exon and Langdon showed they're capable in their positions, will improve.
+ First game, in the heat, against a quality side, can't complain too much.

- We gifted them 2 goals, wrapped with a ribbon and a bow!
- There was a bit of groundhog day about our play; those continual bombs over and over; guarding space and not the man; they just waltzed out with space everywhere.
- Redden, Petrol and Vardy are weak links and/or low skill contributors. Even if Redden plays a negating role, needs to be more of an offensive weapon with skills and a 'footy brain'?
- With injuries and shorter preseason, the team is a bit out of kilter, presume that more balance and skill will return sooner than later?
- not really a negative, but had expectations on Duggan - just a blue collar day, nothing special.
- Midfield needs to step up quick. With Gaff tagged, seemed TK, Sheed and NN carried the load. At this stage still concerned about our midfield depth/quality..or lack of?

*Next weeks game away against the Dogs should be more telling about where this team is at?
* Solid bunch of games ahead, no relief, all dangerous -hoping we hit our straps by round 5 for the big payback re finals knockout!

Starting to think people don't watch much footy if they thought Fold Coast were going to be easy beats. Particularly with our old list and player missing.

There is nothing about them which is a pushover team anymore.

They're a collection of high draft picks which have had years to develop and supported by mature bodies like Greenwood, Collins and Ellis.

Had they nailed a couple of those shots in the 4th, or of they didn't lose freakshow Rowell early, things could easily have gone the other way.

We outlasted them and that's what counts, frustrating as it was watching them run rings at times, we got the W

For our 1st home game of the season, our introduction onto the ground was lame

no video of our history, no joker and the thief, no bursts of fire, no inflatable eagle...zero atmosphere

most of the crowd didn't even realize we were running out...when you have a home ground and large supporter base, you have to make it as intimidating as possible for the opposition

Logan Mcdonald just came in and did what i've been waiting for us to do with Brander for the past 3 going on 4 seasons.

Roughly the same size, Mcdonald just stamped himself on the comp in his first game being the focal point of the Swans attack and booting 3 goals.

Meanwhile Brander plays on the wing (In the WAFL) and is yet to even kick a goal at AFL level from 11 games.
And the problem we have is 'how do we use him as a power forward/focal point?'.

We can't drop JK for him. Nor Darling. Nor Allen.

We're actually stuck in a situation of too many to choose from. So we either rot him in the WAFL, use him on the wing where he's useless or play him as a 4th tall where he gets no opportunity to grab the game. And that's not even considering Jake Waterman who isn't a bad player.

no video of our history, no joker and the thief, no bursts of fire, no inflatable eagle...zero atmosphere

most of the crowd didn't even realize we were running out...when you have a home ground and large supporter base, you have to make it as intimidating as possible for the opposition
go to the basketball

Starting to think people don't watch much footy if they thought Fold Coast were going to be easy beats. Particularly with our old list and player missing.

There is nothing about them which is a pushover team anymore.

They're a collection of high draft picks which have had years to develop and supported by mature bodies like Greenwood, Collins and Ellis.

Had they nailed a couple of those shots in the 4th, or of they didn't lose freakshow Rowell early, things could easily have gone the other way.

We outlasted them and that's what counts, frustrating as it was watching them run rings at times, we got the W

Ypu got sucked into Data without actually putting it into perspective. West Coast Eagles average age is 25.0. The table might say we are the third oldest but in reality that is not old at all. Having 21 players out of 42 between the age bracket of 21-28 and have 7 in the 28-30 bracket making us almost identical to Tigers and Dogs in prime mode. Calling us old is just a poor man's excuse. Sorry but I disagree. This list is primed for a flag and there is no if and buts about it. You give Hurn Kennedy two weeks rest our list average age will drop to 16 years old practically. lol

Funny you say that, j was semi late to the game (missus was being a potato) so I arrived and got into me seat about 90 secs before bouncedown...

I couldn't believe how many people are walking around in slow motion inside and outside. Like they couldn't care less about the game or getting their seat.

Me, I NEED to be in me seat with my tray of beers BEFORE the lads run out. That's just my thing, I like the atmosphere and enjoy the build up.

Baffling there's people around, normies i guess, who just have no urgency whatsoever. Like the game isn't the reason why they are even there.

Makes no sense, but each to their own.

Hard to build an atmosphere with that.

Should fold.

Ypu got sucked into Data without actually putting it into perspective. West Coast Eagles average age is 25.0. The table might say we are the third oldest but in reality that is not old at all. Having 21 players out of 42 between the age bracket of 21-28 and have 7 in the 28-30 bracket making us almost identical to Tigers and Dogs in prime mode. Calling us old is just a poor man's excuse. Sorry but I disagree. This list is primed for a flag and there is no if and buts about it. You give Hurn Kennedy two weeks rest our list average age will drop to 16 years old practically. lol

The average age of our list is 25.1 years old.

But our B22 are well above that mark. By the end of this year 8 of our B22 will be 30 or over. It is an old list. Tigers are starting to become an old list too, but their starting 22 is still a bit younger than ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The average age of our list is 25.1 years old.

But our B22 are well above that mark. By the end of this year 8 of our B22 will be 30 or over. It is an old list. Tigers are starting to become an old list too, but their starting 22 is still a bit younger than ours.
This week team we were 3rd oldest behind Richmond and Geelong. The Cats average age was close to 28

Is it because they aren't actually at the game commentating now just watching it on a tv?
I feel like they asked pav, what is the heat like at the ground, and any semblance of them being at the location commentating was lost. Just listened to the footyology podcast, apparently the call of the Saints v GWS game had a "the free kick was given to... (pause) i cant tell because they arn't on screen"

Funny you say that, j was semi late to the game (missus was being a potato) so I arrived and got into me seat about 90 secs before bouncedown...

I couldn't believe how many people are walking around in slow motion inside and outside. Like they couldn't care less about the game or getting their seat.

Me, I NEED to be in me seat with my tray of beers BEFORE the lads run out. That's just my thing, I like the atmosphere and enjoy the build up.

Baffling there's people around, normies i guess, who just have no urgency whatsoever. Like the game isn't the reason why they are even there.

Makes no sense, but each to their own.

Hard to build an atmosphere with that.

Should fold.
I go to games for the social atmosphere and almost never get to my seat by bouncedown (except for finals). Would rather stay for another full strength at the Camfield and then breeze through the ticket gate with no crowd.

Big negative for me.

We have lost the confidence and/or ability to kick 45 deg passes. Prefer to go around the back.

Now I understand the need for possession but I was amazed the number of times there was a man in the middle (45 deg) free and who wasn’t even seen or considered as an option out of defence.

There were quite a few opportunities presented and now taken which could have cut Suns to ribbons.

Willie Rioli - a miscarriage of justice. Suspended longer than he played.

Bring on the skimpy cheer leader girls!! That'll sort 'em out!

There were many highlights that game and I wasn't as pessimistic as those posting in the game day thread (just enjoying having footy back in its regular 20 minute quarters).
However, the absolute highlight for me was the second bounce which Naitanui hit Redden on the chest with a perfect palm, received the ball back and floated the most exquisite 20m handball to Kelly who didn't have to break stride.
It was, as Dwayne Russell would say, "poetry in motion".

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back