Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Little Brother

Remove this Banner Ad

positives -
drove over the speed bump and moved on..
the Rioli/Ryan/Jetta combo
the melts on purple people-eater land
Simmo on the bench
JD and Ryan showing form

negs -
gaff, schoey.
missed shots/points.
the next few weeks gaffless?

A ten goal victory, yet I feel like we have lost.

No Naitanui, likely no Gaff, and Kennedy has a fracture in his leg.

As for the match, we showed many positive signs:
  • Hitting the scoreboard from opposition turnovers, which is a barometer for us during the Simpson era.
  • For once we looked very dangerous at ground level in attack, however it has to be taken in context of the opposition - Fremantle have possibly the worst ground level defence in the competition.
  • Sheppard had a career-best game in terms of disposals, marks and supercoach.
  • Venables with 9 contested possessions and 5 clearances continued to some very encouraging signs of his ability at stoppages.
  • Lycett had a fantastic game as a complete ruckman - albeit against some very poor opposition in Darcy. Ryder, Gawn and S.Martin will each present far more difficulties in contests over the coming weeks.
There is little else of use from this match as Fremantle were terribly poor all over the ground - we hardly got out of second gear and yet, as mentioned above, still managed to win by ten goals.

Feeling like the key for us gaining any success this year now lies with Venables, Sheed and Ah Chee. We need to find a way of gaining 25+ disposals per game from at least two of them.

A ten goal victory, yet I feel like we have lost.

No Naitanui, likely no Gaff, and Kennedy has a fracture in his leg.

As for the match, we showed many positive signs:
  • Hitting the scoreboard from opposition turnovers, which is a barometer for us during the Simpson era.
  • For once we looked very dangerous at ground level in attack, however it has to be taken in context of the opposition - Fremantle have possibly the worst ground level defence in the competition.
  • Sheppard had a career-best game in terms of disposals, marks and supercoach.
  • Venables with 9 contested possessions and 5 clearances continued to some very encouraging signs of his ability at stoppages.
  • Lycett had a fantastic game as a complete ruckman - albeit against some very poor opposition in Darcy. Ryder, Gawn and S.Martin will each present far more difficulties in contests over the coming weeks.
There is little else of use from this match as Fremantle were terribly poor all over the ground - we hardly got out of second gear and yet, as mentioned above, still managed to win by ten goals.

Feeling like the key for us gaining any success this year now lies with Venables, Sheed and Ah Chee. We need to find a way of gaining 25+ disposals per game from at least two of them.

Sheed is the most likely even if his form is down, his experience is too invaluable. Maybe this is the chance he needs to really pull the finger out.

I actually enjoyed that game immensely. It's unfortunate the Gaff hit sparked it but the niggle and hits after that gave the game and crowd great energy. We piled on a stack of goals and the forward line worked really well.

I'm worried about not having Gaff for the rest of the year but we've been dealing with key player abscences all season and we're sitting six points clear of third.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries and suspensions happen its a part of sport, The Philadelphia eagles lost 4 or 5 players last year including the Guy leading MVP votes, Yes different sports but facing adversity strange things can happen

Injuries and suspensions happen its a part of sport, The Philadelphia eagles lost 4 or 5 players last year including the Guy leading MVP votes, Yes different sports but facing adversity strange things can happen
Posted this a few weeks ago but I feel like even if we won the flag now it would be a bit flat and bittersweet. It’s more than “the Eagles” as a club winning it, it’s the players who have been a part of it for the last 8-10 years. Gaff, Nic and Jk not being a part of it after all they’ve done would be shit. That’s sport but how’s the luck that it happens to be arguably our 3 best players.

Gaff is as powerful as a gentle breeze.
Hopefully you never have to wintness one of your kids getting a broken jaw...

Feel bad for Andrew and the Brayshaw clan.

Also feel bad for gaff because I really don't think he meant it, but he will rightly so cop a lengthy spell. I just hope the AFL media don't go after his character.

Posted this a few weeks ago but I feel like even if we won the flag now it would be a bit flat and bittersweet. It’s more than “the Eagles” as a club winning it, it’s the players who have been a part of it for the last 8-10 years. Gaff, Nic and Jk not being a part of it after all they’ve done would be shit. That’s sport but how’s the luck that it happens to be arguably our 3 best players.

If we won the flag from here everyone would be stoked. It’d be an amazing and unlikely result given the cards we’ve been dealt (and dealt to ourselves ffs Gaff).

I still think the hunger would be there though, though, to get one for Nic or JK or Gaff or whoever else would miss out. Moreso than the desire to repeat, there’d have to be the sense of ‘ok, now let’s go win the real one.’

+ Redden was great. His gut running to provide a marking option, particularly in the back half, is great to watch.
+ Ryan had his most complete performance yet. A couple of joe the gooses but his best work was on the spread and kicking inside 50. Chased well and moved into dangerous positions as a crumber rather than flying for everything.
+ Yeo was huge. A bull around the contest and so damaging on the burst. Probably our most effective player per possession. Could have kicked 4 or 5.
+ Fantastic game by Shep in his 150th. Won contest after contest and had a career high in touches.
+ Lycett was fantastic. Exactly the type of performance we should want from him. He's not the best tap ruckman, but he's effective in the clinches, as a link man and as a defensive presence in marking contests. Team best for contested touches (16) and clearances (6). Kicked 2 goals for his troubles. Ran Darcy ragged. Would love to see him as a lone ruckman before finals once Kennedy is back.
+ Cole was impressive again, particularly in the first quarter. Displays reckless abandon throwing himself at the contest and is developing into a really intelligent team defender, peeling off his man and intercepting/double teaming when appropriate.
+ Darling bounced back after a shocking performance in Hobart. Strong marking against good opponents in Pearce and Hamling. Should have kicked 6.
+ Venables with 5 clearances (equal 2nd best for the team), including 4 centre clearances from 12 touches. Encouraging work in the middle.
+ As a team we had patches of great attacking play. Gifted a lot of the ball by Freo's putrid skills, but 37 scoring shots against a Ross Lyon team in a tough derby is impressive nonetheless.

- Gaff's brain-fade turned a 10 goal triumphant derby win into a pyrrhic victory. FWIW I do think that he went for a jumper punch and Brayshaw went low, because that's what I take from the footage and that's the only way I can rationalise the choir boy doing that sort of thing.
- Engaging in stupid bullshit in the second half. Needless 50s and frees. Bumps and argy bargy while up by 10 goals are unnecessary risks for a team that has finals aspirations, particularly after the Gaff hit.
- Defensive lapses. Conceding 13 goals in such a dominant performance isn't ideal. Our percentage suffered as a result of disappointing defensive breakdowns and the needless 50s/frees. Hawthorn and Collingwood can potentially pip us on percentage if we drop games.
- Hutch. Put in his customary shift defensively, but he was absolutely diabolical with the ball.
- Schoey's injury. Feel for the bloke as he was playing good footy. Hopefully he can get back quickly because he provides a better matchup than Barrass for a lot of forwards.

If we won the flag from here everyone would be stoked. It’d be an amazing and unlikely result given the cards we’ve been dealt (and dealt to ourselves ffs Gaff).

I still think the hunger would be there though, though, to get one for Nic or JK or Gaff or whoever else would miss out. Moreso than the desire to repeat, there’d have to be the sense of ‘ok, now let’s go win the real one.’
Yeah that’s a good point. Just disappointing that we’re already working twice as much being an interstate side plus all the extra shit on top, while Richmond will waltz to a second flag purely on the basis of home ground advantage and the fact that all other contenders have fallen to pieces through injury. No exaggeration.. reckon we’d just about be undefeated if we had the run they’ve had. Hopefully we can snag one against the odds to stick it up everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Little Brother

Remove this Banner Ad

Back