Preview R14: Changes vs. Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very rare but not impossible to find someone who uses one hand for fine motor skills like writing and the opposite for gross motor skills like throwing.
The research is not conclusive but when this happens, it can often be connected with "strong" effort of adults to place the pencil or utensil grip in certain hands. Once the kid picks up the habit of this, they often continue on.
Gross motor requires power and whole of body movements and is therefore usually much more difficult to artificially manipulate.
Pick me pick me!

I am left handed in all fine Motor such as writing and over the years have been complimented on my neatness and style. Football I was right footed [badly] and cricket I batted right handed - I can actually bat left handed and play shots with more technical skill but with little power so I batted right handed, throwing/bowling I’m right armed.

Another aspect of us lefties was I got to the final interview of a sign writing apprenticeship with a government department and at the end of the interview I was asked “Now you’re not left handed are you?” Due to a left handed painter’s hand rubbing through the finished work going left to right I missed out on the job.

With the tagger back in fashion we have 3 players suited to this in order. Has the added benefit of moving them away from their current position and if not willing to do the team thing, can be shown the door.

Laird - tough player and if we have to have him anywhere near the ball, best thing he could do is stop their best player and push out a few handballs. Not having him focused on the ball would be fine

Smith - if Laird is incapable, which given his jogging efforts lately is likely, Smith would have the pace to match some of the players.

Keays - see Smith, would actually be willing to do it unlike the other two

His kicking is bad but his decision making on when to kick is worse.
Maybe not so much "when" as where to kick.
I've watched Keays closely last few years; I'm more critical of him now than I was in 2022, but his many mistakes under pressure have added up. It's becoming exasperating.
As one of our fittest and hardest, two-way running players, Keays could be a vital link man going both ways ie backing up in the D50, distributing out of defence and running forward to make a loose man I50 but I think his biggest problem is a lack of composure.
He's always in Fast-Forward mode, even when he doesn't need to be and it affects his decision-making.
He's not a long kick of the ball and quite a poor goal-snap, about which he seems to be unaware. I'd be much happier if the played within his limitations and left the goalkicking to better goalkickers.
Attempting a snap shot at goal that is easily smothered and turned over to lose a match isn't a kicking issue. It's being dumb. No player in the AFL could have executed that kick from that position.
It's a funny thing about "position". For some players with calmness/composure and cool, clear heads in tight spots, "position" is nearly irrelevant --- I'm thinking EddieB, Dawson and most recently Rankine. In defence, Michalanney and Nankervis (Milera, too, pre-injury) show seriously good, calm composure.
Keays is not such a player. The previously mentioned players rarely panic, nor do they make hasty decisions. Under pressure, they try first to get clear, then they look before they kick. It's very rare to see any of them just blast away blindly.
Laird and Smith have both become panic-merchants and often bomb-away under pressure. Keays is go-go-GO all the time, worst of all when pressured and some calmness would definitely help him to make better decisions.

In that Pies' game, Rankine's beautiful goal put us in front (73-71) with 7.19 to play. That's enough time for a 3-goal win, either way.
At the time of that snap shot (2.45 to play, score 74-72) a lot had happened in between.
Rachele had a ping at goal from R forward pocket, point.
3.06 to play, Jones (NO composure) handballed infield when a handball out to unmarked Dawson on the L flank was a way better option.
2.55 to play, ROB gathered an errant bounce, doesn't look, blazed away (NO composure), slipped backward and ugly-shanked the ball.
At this moment, 10 seconds later, does Keays have better options?

1718100153984.png

Yes; Rachele was in a good poz to receive an over-the-top handball (if Keays had waited and drawn the defender) and another Crow (arms out, #25? #29?) is clear about 12-15m away. But the kick's being smothered meant the ball could have rebounded out anywhere. Collingwood cleared from there and goaled, but saying that Keays lost us the game is too harsh ("a snap shot at goal that is easily smothered and turned over to lose a match"; note when he was shaping to kick the Pie defender was about 7-8m away --- it's a great smother, but not "easily").
Several mistakes were made before then.
IMO he's a very selfish player inside 50 that gets tunnel vision and thinks he's being a hero - and that's a footy IQ problem
With respect, I disagree. I don't think Keays is a FIGJAM glory-seeker.
Panicky/hasty/impatient? Yes. Lacking composure? Yes.
"Very selfish", not so much.

Like I've said no problem at all to try and find an upgrade on ROB if there's one available......Strachan is most definitely not that player either now or into the future.
If Strachan is as amazing as some on here would have you believe AFL clubs would have come for him before now and no doubt he'd jump at the chance to be the No.1 ruck at an AFL club. No matter what AFL club he was at he'd be ruck depth only, decent depth but that's it.
Which highlights a massive problem of why we don't have any other rucks on our list. ROB is what he is at this point, Strachan a 28 year old with 6 games next to his name, obviously means we haven't rated what he's served up yet we've stuck onto him and not put another on the list. What is our goal here?

Thought Strachan was doing alright to half time, took a contested mark which resulted in a goal, seemed to be tapping it alright and used it well for someone of his size. Sure, ROB gets more hitouts but did it make any difference how our midfield looked from the last two games?

We are going to win and make Nicks look like a genius, aren’t we.
Gabriel Iglesias Lol GIF by NETFLIX

With the tagger back in fashion we have 3 players suited to this in order. Has the added benefit of moving them away from their current position and if not willing to do the team thing, can be shown the door.

Laird - tough player and if we have to have him anywhere near the ball, best thing he could do is stop their best player and push out a few handballs. Not having him focused on the ball would be fine

Smith - if Laird is incapable, which given his jogging efforts lately is likely, Smith would have the pace to match some of the players.

Keays - see Smith, would actually be willing to do it unlike the other two
Berry should be in this group, his tackling game is elite but struggles to get the ball himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id like to see:

In:
Tex
Rankine
Cook
Peds
ROB
Taylor
Murray, N

Out:
Borlase (not a forward, out for Murray)
Strachan (poor lad)
Berry (give Taylor his midfield minutes)
Murphy (taking Peds and Cooks positions)
Keays (same as above)
Smith (don’t have a direct replacement. Don’t care)
Jones (see above)
Borlase has been good and stays

Yes I’m a broken record but the outs are very important;

Murphy
Mchenry
Smith - These 3 no discussion required have had multiple chances are playing horrid football currently not up to it.

Jones - really just hanging on by a thread [or a 3 goal performance] just goes missing and can’t seem to involve himself in tough games - on notice

Keays - has disappeared from his 25 disposal games that offered little hurt factor - but his effort far out ways his skill and composure -on notice

Laird - the media have woken up to his ineffective game why can’t Matthew? - on notice

In [in the next 2-3 games]
Taylor debut
Curtin for a block of 3-4 games
Dowling stays in for at least 3-4

The Murray bash brothers

Injury recovery - Rankine, Tex, Thriller in a month.

Pick me pick me!

I am left handed in all fine Motor such as writing and over the years have been complimented on my neatness and style. Football I was right footed [badly] and cricket I batted right handed - I can actually bat left handed and play shots with more technical skill but with little power so I batted right handed, throwing/bowling I’m right armed.

Another aspect of us lefties was I got to the final interview of a sign writing apprenticeship with a government department and at the end of the interview I was asked “Now you’re not left handed are you?” Due to a left handed painter’s hand rubbing through the finished work going left to right I missed out on the job.
I'm envious of your neat handwriting. Bad luck about the job though. Maybe you could move to parts of the world that have right to left written language. You're a natural!😜😜

I know they're not all returned from injury yet but here's the team I'd like to see us to focus on for the second half of the season.

FF: Pedlar - Fogarty - Murray (Toby)
HF: Taylor - Thilthorpe - Cook
C: Dawson - Soligo - Nankervis
FOLL: Himmelberg - Rachele - Rankine
HB: Curtin - Murray (Nick) - Michalanney
FB: Worrell - Butts - Hinge
INT: Borlase - Berry - Dowling - Schoenberg
SUB: Keays

Look to have a greater spread of midfield time with all of Soligo, Rachele, Rankine, Pedlar, Taylor & Dawson spending ~50% in the guts with the rest on a wing, flank or pocket.
Walker - rest his back so you can make a proper call as to whether he's got one more year in him rather than just wheeling him out half-cooked two out of every three weeks.
O'Brien - he's been a good servant but he's run his race and we now need to trade him out for whatever value we can get and bring in an upgrade (Ned Moyle?). In the meantime let's try something different and run with 2 mobile forward/rucks and see what that looks like.
Smith - retired
McHenry/Murphy - trade/delist one and keep the other as depth
Burgess/Gollant - trade/delist one and keep the other as depth
Keane - assuming the rumours are true then I reckon (i) he does have genuine trade value and (ii) we do have a surplus of KPDs so could afford to offload one.
Crouch / Laird - trade one and keep the other as depth.
Jone/Sholl - trade one and keep the other as depth.
Parnell - delist
Bond & Ryan - try to squeeze them in for 2-4 games if Hamill/Michalanney are injured or need a rest.

Last edited:
I know they're not all returned from injury yet but here's the team I'd like to see us to focus on for the second half of the season.

FF: Pedlar - Fogarty - Murray (Toby)
HF: Taylor - Thilthorpe - Cook
C: Dawson - Soligo - Nankervis
FOLL: Himmelberg - Rachele - Rankine
HB: Hinge - Murray (Nick) - Michalanney
FB: Worrell - Butts - Hamill
INT: Borlase - Berry - Dowling - Schoenberg
SUB: Keays

Look to have a greater spread of midfield time with all of Soligo, Rachele, Rankine, Pedlar, Taylor & Dawson spending ~50% in the guts with the rest on a wing, flank or pocket.
Walker - rest his back so you can make a proper call as to whether he's got one more year in him rather than just wheeling him out half-cooked two out of every three weeks.
O'Brien - he's been a good servant but he's run his race and we now need to trade him out for whatever value we can get and bring in an upgrade (Ned Moyle?). In the meantime let's try something different and run with 2 mobile forward/rucks and see what that looks like.
Smith - retired
McHenry/Murphy - trade/delist one and keep the other as depth
Burgess/Gollant - trade/delist one and keep the other as depth
Keane - assuming the rumours are true then I reckon (i) he does have genuine trade value and (ii) we do have a surplus of KPDs so could afford to offload one.
Crouch / Laird - trade one and keep the other as depth.
Jone/Sholl - trade one and keep the other as depth.
Parnell - delist
Bond & Ryan - try to squeeze them in for 2-4 games if Hamill/Michalanney are injured or need a rest.
No Curtin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R14: Changes vs. Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back