Review R14: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really confused as to what clear evidence there is that the players are playing for Nicks?
Our fast starts at the start of the game or after half time, depends on when Nicks decides he will coach and when he will let them self motivate.

Our high tackle counts….

I was thinking it will be tough for the players to soldier on through these last 10 or so rounds with no prospect of finals to motivate us but then I realised we'll probably thrive in that situation

He needs to go even harder.
I think he went home after that.
The suddenly took the press conference and then when they came back I only listened for a few more minutes as hit home but didn’t hear him in that time

I suspected he was so worked up everyone felt it best he take an early minute

My take on last night .....interesting night, which opens up a few questions

1. It's obvious the players are playing for Nicks

2. The introduction of injured players ...Murray, Rankine, and Cook, certainly improved the side .....with Rankine and Murray very influential early ....B4 fading late, as you'd expect

3. It looks like we're tanking ....or should I say, evaluating the playing list ....because it's hard to fathom why Keane was allowed to stay on Amartey all night .....or was he ?

There seemed to be a lot of confusion amongst the KPD's .......Keane was guarding the goalsquare most of the time, rather than his opponent ....was there mean't to be a changeover, because those he and Butts were hardly communicating .....and a few times both were caught simultaneously in no-mans land with no opponents within 5 mtrs

4. WHT was guarding Heeney when he got off the leash ......our FF in Fog was the closest to him ....with 3 x Mids lagging so far behind it wasn't funny

View attachment 2021127

5. It is a fair statement to make with a young side ....that SYD have had two Byes B4 we've had our 1st ......Soligo, Rachele, and Michalanney struggling to run out the game .....Michalanney, a huge jump to be playing midfield and the required km's ......he did look great in the first half

6. Berry, isn't up to it .....we gave SYD a massive leg up in playing Strachan, which begs the question around tanking ....but also once again throws the spotlight on our Ruck Drafting / trading .....woeful list management

7. Why are we playing Dawson so long up fwd ?
Stopped reading at #1

One of his "efforts" to "apply "defensive" pressure" in the forward pocket was laughable headless chook trash
I guarantee this is the exact moment I was going to post about but got too annoyed and put my phone down. Down the Southern end? In the pocket, was him and 3 Swans and he just followed the ball in a triangle like a golden retriever. Then help arrived and instead of hanging back to defend one of the others he still blindly ran towards to guy nearest our goal we had coverage near which allowed the others to just waltz away with it.

Ugly: I finally found out why Heeney had so much space, as The First Crack did a piece on it. It stemmed from an incident in the first quarter. Michalanney had to leave Warner, and handed off to Schoenberg. Schoenberg did absolutely nothing to stop Warner, he slipped forward really easily and kicked the goal. Michalanney, understandably, wasn't impressed.

In the Heeney incident, Michalanney had initially been on him. Michalanney sees Warner unguarded, is desperately pointing at him trying to get another Crow onto him (which didn't actually happen). While Michalanney is distracted, Heeney slips forward, nobody bothers to pick him up, and it's another free goal given to Sydney.

The inadequacies of this team are mind blowing. Why is a second year player the only one out there showing any leadership? Why is Schoenberg showing 0 defensive intent on one of the most damaging players in the league? What precisely was the rest of the defence doing when Michalanney lost Heeney?

Ugly: I finally found out why Heeney had so much space, as The First Crack did a piece on it. It stemmed from an incident in the first quarter. Michalanney had to leave Warner, and handed off to Schoenberg. Schoenberg did absolutely nothing to stop Warner, he slipped forward really easily and kicked the goal. Michalanney, understandably, wasn't impressed.

In the Heeney incident, Michalanney had initially been on him. Michalanney sees Warner unguarded, is desperately pointing at him trying to get another Crow onto him (which didn't actually happen). While Michalanney is distracted, Heeney slips forward, nobody bothers to pick him up, and it's another free goal given to Sydney.

The inadequacies of this team are mind blowing. Why is a second year player the only one out there showing any leadership? Why is Schoenberg showing 0 defensive intent on one of the most damaging players in the league? What precisely was the rest of the defence doing when Michalanney lost Heeney?
They’re too busy thinking about shape, and not thinking like footballers.

So Taylor Adam's showing the 7 or was it 8 fingers to Keane that saw Mitch Hinge deck him and cost us another goal with the free was wrong. I don't think so but then again you manage to blame Butts for most everything. Keane has been shithouse for weeks now.

That's mah boy!

550493b85575c3393c1b9382c3d3aa53.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what, if they did announce he is being stood down this week, whilst we would be worried who they would line up to replace him with, at least it would show they can try to correct course when they have made an obvious error.
You'd hope.
The rhetoric from Olsen and Silvers runs entirely contra to that though so we are stuck with him for the forseeable
Looks like, to the detriment of player development and ladder progress.

From the bloke that needed to explain the game plan using water bottles

1718546109852.png

Anyone having a crack at the disposal count of the forwards, we had 35 inside 50s for 10.7. We were smashed for inside 50s, clearances, contested possessions.

The only forward that deserves a crack is Murphy who is given license to roam up the ground trying to impact the contest who does **** all.

As for Amarty, how the **** didn’t Nicks move Murray on to him?

Coaching is teaching and it is pretty obvious our coaches can't teach situational awareness.

MM obviously very high Footy IQ trying to fill those gaps.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Michelanney is a gem and 100% the next captain of this club. I wonder what happened to "if you don't want to defend, there's the the door". Perhaps the door has been bolted shut with stupid long term contracts?

The ugliest thing for me over this game and even the previous two games is opposition like Warner sledging and potting our younger players off the ball and no-one stepping in (apart from Hinge who gave away a stupid free kick) and flying the flag. Nank copped it against Hawthorn, and Michalanney this time...and I think it also happened a couple of times against Richmond. We have zero leadership. Fog probably the only one capable of roughing anyone up. A few big lumps like Keane and Butts should throw their weight around - Keane in particular, given he wasn't doing anything else on Sat night.

The don't argues that have crept into our game need to go too, particularly with the tougher HTB interpretations.

Unless you're Dusty or Harley Reid you're not going to pull it off. Both our AFL and SANFL teams do it constantly, so it's clearly a coaching direction. Only problem is it fails every time. I think Murray got caught three times on Saturday night doing it.

Good - Hinge/Sholl/Rankine - Murray and Rankine getting through the game.

Bad - Jake Soligo - 64% Game time?? Not sure what's going on there, but after a ripping start to the season he's come off the boil a little, and probably being asked to do more inside grunt work than he'd like. Smells to me like he's being managed.

Schoenberg - Needs a spell in the SANFL, Pedlar has had a few decent games now so should come in, or Taylor.

Sam Berry - Came on when the game was dead, played a full Q, no tackles, will be gone the end of the season you'd think to a team that needs a solid inside mid.

Billy Dowling - Are we playing him out of position?

Lachy Murphy - This bloke has literally plodded since he's come back

Strachan - Monstered in the Ruck, game lost here

Jordon Butts/Murray/Keane - I honestly don't know what happened here, but since Worrell has come out of the side Keane has been in dire straits with 1-1 match ups. I thought this would be mitigated with Murray coming back but it was a clear strategy from Sydney to try and separate the defenders. Not helped with a 35-61 Inside 50 count..

Brayden Cook - I've said it for weeks now, this kid needs to do more defensively and off the ball. 6 disposals for the game

Josh Rachele - Defensively a little better inside 50 this week, but again not breaking the game open. Still massively worried about this kids ceiling.

Hamill/Jones/Keays - Plodders.

Ugly - Hitouts, clearances (19-4 centre clearances, good lord), Inside 50's differential, Contested Possession differential, Tackles inside 50 differential 15 - 5)

That was some very damning vision, Schoenberg was just guarding space at the top of the 50m arc when Heeney marked. Sunday Footy Show also highlighted some horrible defensive lapses from Keane on Amartey as well (and this was before he had kicked a bag). At least 4 of those Amartey goals should never happen.

It's a playing group that have no confidence and are confused. Outside of Dawson, Tex, MM and Murray (only first game back, but will be an onfield leader eventually), there's also a severe lack of leadership onfield atm. MM heading into the midfield and Murray only being first game back exposed our defensive six and they had some horrible lapses in positioning.

A lot of this comes down to development off field and the planning over pre season, which has obviously been well below par.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back