Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

This week Riley Thilthorpe should be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks points out there are four players left on our list who haven't yet played AFL:
  • Taylor - 30 SANFL games since 2022
  • Edwards - 10 games since 2024
  • Ryan -10 games since 2024
  • Bond - 24 games since 2023
Taylor is the one who is most likely to debut, is on the emergency list. It's not exactly an inspiring list of ready to go talent.

Give them a few years and hopefully, but not exactly tearing the house down are they.

Nicks points out there are four players left on our list who haven't yet played AFL:
Taylor is the one who is most likely to debut, is on the emergency list. It's not exactly an inspiring list of ready to go talent.

Give them a few years and hopefully, but not exactly tearing the house down are they.

Ooof, he can't even get basic stuff about our list right

Last I checked Toby Murray hasn't played AFL either, but maybe Nicks isn't aware we drafted him

Ooof, he can't even get basic stuff about our list right

Last I checked Toby Murray hasn't played AFL either, but maybe Nicks isn't aware we drafted him
Karl Gallagher also.

I wanna win as long as we are playing guys like Dowling and Curtin each week.

Why?

Look at North. You think they are celebrating that win in rd 23 last year? They finished 3-20 and missed out on Harley Reid.

The whole club should have been wiped off the planet after that.

We are 4 wins from 14 games. We need to keep losing.

A top 3 pick is crucial. Top 3 gives you access to Riewoldt, Hodge, Ball, Judd, Goddard, Wells, Cooney, Deledio, Roughead, Murphy, Thomas, Gibbs, Cotchin, Martin, Coniglio, Whitfield, Kelley, Petracca, Brayshaw, Mills, Taranto, McLuggage, Walsh, Rankine, Anderson, Rowell, Jackson, Jamara, JHF, Darcy, Ashcroft, Sheezel, Reid.

We can change the entire trajectory of our club history and all it will cost finishing 16th rather than 12th.

Why?

Look at North. You think they are celebrating that win in rd 23 last year? They finished 3-20 and missed out on Harley Reid.

A top 3 pick is crucial. Top 3 gives you access to Riewoldt, Hodge, Ball, Judd, Goddard, Wells, Cooney, Deledio, Roughead, Murphy, Thomas, Gibbs, Cotchin, Martin, Coniglio, Whitfield, Kelley, Petracca, Brayshaw, Mills, Taranto, McLuggage, Walsh, Rankine, Anderson, Rowell, Jackson, Jamara, JHF, Darcy, Ashcroft, Sheezel, Reid.

We can change the entire trajectory of our club history and all it will cost finishing 16th rather than 12th.
The only reason to win is if it doesn't affect our ladder position

We have debuted a record number of players over the last 5 years (as we should have).

Some are looking very promising (Michalanney, Murray, Worrell, Keane, Nankervis, Soligo, Rachele, Thilthorpe). Some may or may not develop into first choice AFL players (Butts, Borlase, Hamill, Jones, Sholl, Berry, Cook, Dowling, Schoenberg, Pedlar).

From our latest group of Kids I am very optimistic about the future of Curtin, Taylor and Ryan. I am hopeful about Dowling, Edwards and Toby Murray. I think Gallagher and Bond are long shots.

We need to debut Taylor asap.

Dimma said recently
"One AFL game is the equivalent of five in the reserves"

Kingy mentioned an old Paganism
"Never underestimate the capability of youth"

Nix said
"People who want SANFL players in the team aren't watching SANFL"
And as much as I dislike him..
Mark Williams even said
"You Play Talent"

We have debuted a record number of players over the last 5 years (as we should have).

Some are looking very promising (Michalanney, Murray, Worrell, Keane, Nankervis, Soligo, Rachele, Thilthorpe). Some may or may not develop into first choice AFL players (Butts, Borlase, Hamill, Jones, Sholl, Berry, Cook, Dowling, Schoenberg, Pedlar).

From our latest group of Kids I am very optimistic about the future of Curtin, Taylor and Ryan. I am hopeful about Dowling, Edwards and Toby Murray. I think Gallagher and Bond are long shots.

We need to debut Taylor asap.
Yeah, it's not like we aren't playing the kids. I look forward to a debut, it gives hope for sure. Taylor will debut this year though, unless he gets injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?

I totally agree, but we did that and got Thilthorpe, you can't keep going back or you end up like Melbourne/ Carlton/ Gold Coast/ North - and stay down for years.

All we need is a top 4 pick this year, it's pretty even down the bottom, there's no Reid. Pick 4 will get us Draper if he's still rated by then.

Even if we lose all the rest of the games this year, it's unlikely we will drop down any more. We need to win games not lose them, the difference between 4-5-6 pick won't be that much. I'd like to see an early bid on Campo.

The wins are super important to the team and the player development.

It's fun to answer .5 of the 4 points and pretend to be justified. 3 of those guys playing this week and sure, let's ignore the rest of the 1st round and all the talls.

We did give him experience at AFL level and it went badly. So rather than crucify the kid, sent him back to develop in the area he was shown up in. His career will hopefully be 15 years long, it's not being destroyed because he isn't playing every game in year 1. That would be very unusual for a tall. There's thousands of examples of star players that weren't seen at all in their 1st year. J McGovern didn't debut for 3 years. He'll be fine. Stop being so dramatic.
It went badly as Nicks purposely played him in the wrong position to ensure it went badly. That's just bullshit.

Never understood this.

In a league where losing directly impacts getting better - I can't understand wanting to win once we can't make the finals.
As a player you want to come to work in an enjoyable environment, striving to improve and get that win, not throw your hands in the air and give up, I want to know when it gets tough im going 100% so in the big moments I’m not throwing the towel in with a defeatist attitude

What are the odds of Nicks getting booed this week if the games goes as it should? I wonder if some will be reluctant given the media outcry at it all week

Booing Nicks ain't going to achieve a heck of a lot - yes it's a sign loyal supporters are fed up with his fugly game plan, his refusal to develop talent and his dismal results, but he won't care because he's got a two year extension. The boys club doesn't give a crap either as long as there are bums on seats, and money being spent at the bars and kiosks.

The only thing that could shake things up before the end of the season is not showing up. The media may take pot shots at fans booing as childish, but the image of a half empty Adelaide Oval with the coffers of the Crows, the AFL and the SMA being hit hard (where it really hurts them) is something that can't be laughed off. Especially during prime time broadcasts to a National audience.

Booing Nicks ain't going to achieve a heck of a lot - yes it's a sign loyal supporters are fed up with his fugly game plan, his refusal to develop talent and his dismal results, but he won't care because he's got a two year extension. The boys club doesn't give a crap either as long as there are bums on seats, and money being spent at the bars and kiosks.

The only thing that could shake things up before the end of the season is not showing up. The media may take pot shots at fans booing as childish, but the image of a half empty Adelaide Oval with the coffers of the Crows, the AFL and the SMA being hit hard (where it really hurts them) is something that can't be laughed off. Especially during prime time broadcasts to a National audience.
Not a fan of booing

I'm not. Wonder if my seat will sell

Freezing my **** off at AO to watch the Crows get its collective arse handed to it time after time has become old.
I may go to the last two day games. At least I'll be warm as said arse is delivered.

I hear you mate. I'm boycotting this weekend, and hope quite a few others vent their displeasure the exact same way, because it's the only thing the club will take seriously in regard to Member's discontent.

Losing is one thing, but the utterly miserable, downright pathetic way we are coached to play makes it intolerable to watch. As I mentioned earlier, take out the West Coast and North Melbourne anomalies, and we average 10.5 goals a game, 2-3 goals per quarter. The Sydney game was bang on average, and when we were up by our biggest margin, we only had 9 goals on the board. Nicks DNA is to quite literally to strangle any kind of flair and skill out of the game, and "win" by giving up the least goals.

Hands up who is looking forward to the defensive craptacular that will be the Crows vs Saints game in two weeks time? We might be lucky to see 10 goals for the whole game - and that's 10 goals in total, not 10 goals each. That deserves a half empty stadium to experience it.

I hear you mate. I'm boycotting this weekend, and hope quite a few others vent their displeasure the exact same way, because it's the only thing the club will take seriously in regard to Member's discontent.

Losing is one thing, but the utterly miserable, downright pathetic way we are coached to play makes it intolerable to watch. As I mentioned earlier, take out the West Coast and North Melbourne anomalies, and we average 10.5 goals a game, 2-3 goals per quarter. The Sydney game was bang on average, and when we were up by our biggest margin, we only had 9 goals on the board. Nicks DNA is to quite literally to strangle any kind of flair and skill out of the game, and "win" by giving up the least goals.

Hands up who is looking forward to the defensive craptacular that will be the Crows vs Saints game in two weeks time? We might be lucky to see 10 goals for the whole game - and that's 10 goals in total, not 10 goals each. That deserves a half empty stadium to experience it.
Predicting the worst game of 2024

Back